1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harmony 885 with Panasonic TH42-PV500

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by Kryton3000, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Kryton3000

Kryton3000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am considering buying a Harmony 885 to simplify my AV setup but I want to see if this will work with a Panasonic TH42-PV500

The Panny PV500 input select work by navigating a menu using the remotes coloured buttons.

Page 1 :

Red -> AV1
    Green -> AV2/AV2S
    Yellow -> AV3
    Blue -> Next

Page 2 :
    Red -> Prev
    Green -> AV4
    Yellow -> Component/HDMI/PC

I could see this becoming quite confusing making macros for this. I have read something about Descrete codes which may work and bypass this menu system.

When I specify this TV in the test drive it only has AV1, AV2, AV3, Component1 and Component2 so does not match the TV's actual inputs.

Does anyone have any experience in doing this? How can I get the decrete codes into the remote without them being on my TV's remote? I have a USB-UIRT for outputting ir from my PC. Could this be used? What software can I use to do this? Could I use Girder?

2. msg

msg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    This is my worry too. I've got a Panasonic TX-26LXD50 LCD TV and the input selection works as you describe. Worse than that, when you press TV/AV, the TV immediately selects the input previously used, which would complicate a macro. If relying on a series of IR bursts, one for each keypress, the risk would be one of the bursts being interrupted by a movement of the remote, and the time spent waiting for the commands to complete would be a pain.

Emailed Harmony/Logitech customer service who couldn't find my TV on their database (despite it having been for sale for around 3 months now). They suggested there should be discrete codes available, but weren't 100% positive.

So, I'm still sitting on the fence.....

Would like to hear from any one with experience of the Panasonic TV input operation on a Harmony remote.

Dave

3. czzer

czzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    Discrete codes for Panasonic equipment can be found here

You should be able to find something there that will work for your inputs.

You can then enter these codes through the Harmony website and assign the correct one in your setup

4. Kryton3000

Kryton3000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I looked at the Test Drive but could not see anywhere to enter discrete codes. I guess this is a feature you will only see when you actually have the control.

I hope these help but is there a way to find more codes as these still do not match fully the inputs my TV has. Plasma missing AV4/Video 4 and HDTV missing component. Also I did not see an HDMI input code anywhere, which in the not to distant future I would like to be using.

5. czzer

czzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    If the codes aren't on that site I think your only other option would be to ask Panasonic directly. I don't know how helpful they'd be though....

6. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,197
    I've tried to find this info for the Pronto, including speaking to Panasonic directly. They say that there are no discrete codes at all.

This isn't quite true, because the discrete On and Off work.

However, I have no luck finding anything to select the source. Nor have I found any macros that will work reliably.

This was enough to stop me from buying a PV500. Waiting for the PHD8 instead.

Cheers,

Nigel