Harmony 885 / TH37PX70 PowerOn command after standby - doesn't always work?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by Sam_Underhill, Sep 3, 2007.

1. Sam_Underhill

Sam_Underhill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When using my Harmony 885 to turn on the TV either by an activity or the PowerOn command in the device menu, it sometimes doesn't work when the TV has been in standby. This seems to be particularly noticeable when the TV has been in standby for a while.

If I use the Panasonic remote it does seem like On button does need holding down in this situation so I guess I may just need to find a way to repeat the on command with the Harmony.

If I always make sure the TV is turned off properly via the switch on the front panel, I never have this problem. I suspect this is more a feature / problem with TV but I wondered how other people might get round it with their Harmony remotes?

2. czzer

czzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    Try re-learning the power command in RAW. Select "Custom" on the learning screen and you will get an option to "Learn RAW".

When you teach it, hold the button on the factory remote down as long as needed to get the TV to turn on.

3. badbob

badbob
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +318
    Panasonic TV seem to work with a very long power button press, whilst learning hold it down, and when switching on hold it down.

4. mre15

mre15

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I too am having this problem with the th42pz70. I have managed to get all the input switching working, and it will turn on from standby when it has been off for a short while. But the first switch on in the morning doesnt work, just like you say it seems to need a slightly longer signal for the first switch on of the day.
    How do I increse this, I cant find any setting for it, and if I try the raw learn as people suggest it just keeps telling me to press the button for a shorter length as the signal is unstable.

Please someone help its doing my head in.:suicide:

Cheers.

5. badbob

badbob
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +318
    I find (when learning on a remote) is to press and hold it down, until it displays "learnt" Or you could use pre-programmed database, my Panasonic IR codes were in there. Just delete the buttons that you don't need, and learn ones that are missing.

Can you do that on a Harmony or is it basically "idiot proof wizards" that aren't powerful customisation like MX-Editor/Pronto?

6. czzer

czzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    There should be a setting under "Power options" for the length of the IR command sent. If the option isn't there, try deleting and re-adding the TV device, or call tech support and get them to add the long signal to the device profile. You will probably need Tier 2 for this.

7. Mr Mike

Mr Mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Call the support line, they are very helpful and can program anything you want. I had major problems trying to get the 42 panny to work with input selections and no matter what i did it just would not work, the support guys called me back and stayed on the phone until it worked, i told them the inputs and how the colour buttons changed it and which order and they wrote a program to control this perfectly, updated it then i connected remote to pc downloaded and tested, had a few other things i got them to do while on the call too.

Great device but sometimes you require that little bit of special attention which the support team do very well.

8. Daveski

Daveski
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Same problem with my 50PZ70.

Really frustrating as I think I have finally sorted out the input switching but in the meantime have to use the original remote to switch the telly on (goes off alright with the Harmony though!)

Phoned support on Thursday and after running through the problem, before I had even mentioned the make of the Tv the guy said "is it a Panasonic" and was immediately escalated to Level 2 (sounds dead impressive) and was promised a phone call in 2 days from Canada. No news yet though; hopefully an easy and known fix.

To give the support guys credit they have in the past sorted out a couple of problems for me before. Fingers crossed.

9. quattro

quattro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Daveski could you tell me how you managed to sort the input issue? Every Panny I've had I've had issues with remotes and my new PZ70 is no different.
    my set up is
    Sky>hdmi 1
    DVD>component
    360> PC

Cheers
    Rob

10. Daveski

Daveski
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rob

The original problem with the power on/off not working is now ok. Not I think as a direct result of the call to support which proved fruitless but an update that appeared for this model a couple of days afterwards - coincidence? Whatever it was it now works fine.

False alarm on the input solution. I still have problems here too. I have the following:
    SKY HD > HDMI1
    DVD > (via amp) AV1
    PS2 > (via amp) AV1

PS3 arriving soon so will be able to put that on HDMI2 get rid of the pesky scart and with the direct input call available on the Harmony for these two inputs that should be job done.

However in the meantime its a right pain in the butt.

11. quattro

quattro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Dave
    I gave CS @ logitech a call this morning and after about 30min on the phone my setup is now perfect.
    All inputs are now going to the correct input when i turn the various activities on.

12. Daveski

Daveski
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good to hear all is now ok. They do seem to come up with the goods when asked.

Looks like I'll be making a call again too.

Were you privvy to what they actually did - or was it all top secret!?

13. quattro

quattro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I wasn't privvy to what they actually did however I'm sure it's there in the set up site just not obvious to me.