1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harmony 885 setup issues - please help

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by OneDesi, Sep 24, 2005.

1. OneDesi

OneDesi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    Hi just bought this after reading a few threads here and first impressions are that it is quite good (not as well built as I thought it might be, plastic a bit cheapy).

Can somebody tell me why I am having the following problems:

1 - When I hit watch DVD (having set it up) if the Loewe TV is on it turns it off - I thought the remote checked if the TV was on?

2 - When I hit play CD (having set it up) I had a lot of difficulty getting it to accept that inputs 1 to 4 on the X-preV3 mean something (eventually realised it was assigned to CD2 Aux and tuner :confused: ) - what happens now is that when I hit play CD the Arcam 250 comes on as well as the Xray and Xpre (very annoying :mad: ).

I'm no great techie so happy to admit I am stupid but somebody - please help :lease: :lease: :lease:

2. czzer

czzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    1. Did you turn on the TV manually, or activate a different activity on the Harmony to do it? The Harmony doesn't check to see what's turned on or off, it just remembers what it has turned on or off itself, so if you do something on the TV directly, or with another remote, the Harmony won't know about it and will get out of synch.

2. I'm not sure what you mean exactly...can you explain what you did a bit more, and what your actual setup is and how it should work?

3. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Just a guess but both your problems could be the result of what 'devices' you have included in what 'activities'. e.g have you included the Arcam receiver (which you dont need) in the CD activity but left the TV out of the Watch DVD activity? It might be a good idea to run the activity setup wizards again making sure the right bits of kit are in the right activites. Apologies if you have tried all this. :)
    I use the harmony with my MF amp; by itself to play CD's through my Arcam DV88 and to drive the centre speakers in combination with a 3 channel Yamaha processor for DVD's. This is probably at least as complicated as your (rather nice I must say) set up so I am sure you should be able to get this all working eventually.

Richard

4. OneDesi

OneDesi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    CZZER - I think you may have answered my query on the sync bit. I had turned on the tv using another remote so I guess the 885 is not as clever as I had hoped. Richards reply better explains the set up I have (I didn't explain it very well)

RICHARD - its sounds like you're a bit of a whizz at this stuff! You are on the right track of what I am trying to do but I haven't included an xs amount of amps like you say (I checked the setup) - I wonder if there is a problem with the codes matching each other? The 885 has the X-Pre set up with 4 inputs but when I look at the device on the remote it has all the options of an AV receiver and the 4 inputs I have defined do not actually work - what am I doing wrong.

DO you guys have any other thoughts? :lease:

5. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Hi gsrai

I wonder if it is possible you got the initial set up a bit wrong. Your lovely MF pre-amp is not exactly a common piece of kit and the logitech database may not have recognised it. When the program first asked what equipment you had it asks you to categorise it; Is it possible that you categorised the X amp as a AV receiver rather than a stereo pre-amp. Perhaps it then assumed it was the MF AV receiver (I think they made/make one; it was not a great success if I remember). If the logitech database cannot make an exact match I think it just makes a guess at the nearest equivalent. Probably not always the right guess even if you did get the category right.

NB It got my X-A100R and its inputs dead right but then it is probably a more common model and its certainly much older. At some point in the set up if Logitech has not definately identifed your model you get a list of close matches; perhaps another MF pre-amp (there might be an X-100R) would have very similar inputs. Different codes no doubt but you could teach it those from the original remote later.

I would make a couple of suggestions. Start the whole set up again going very slowly and making sure all the answers you feed in are as accurate as possible. You could always log in with different ID /password to start fresh with the option of going back to your existing set up if it all goes wrong. :)
    If the MF amp inputs are still unrecognisable it sounds like it has not identifed the amp correctly and you will continue to have problems. You might then need to try and get in touch with Logitech support; supposed to be very good

When it asks what you want to use to control the volume in the CD activity make sure you tick the x amp and when it asks about DVD volume make sure you cite the AV receiver etc.
    Check eack list of equipment included in each activity and make sure it has everything with a R.Control you do need but nothing else. e.g. for CD just the pre-amp and the CD player.

If there are no improvements Logitech support is reportedly very good and they should be able to sort your problems.

Hope this not too confusing and some use

Regards Richard

6. OneDesi

OneDesi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    Richard

Thanks for that - I did what you said and showed the X-PRe as a stereo amp but the problem still persists. The problem I have now is how to get in touch with customer services as the phone numbers don't seem to work.

I'm beginning to wish I hadn't bought this remote!!!

7. OneDesi

OneDesi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    Richard

Thanks for the advice - after a lot of jiggery pokery I have established that input 2 on the X-pre is the "InputTuner" code but what this now does is turn on the Arcam AVR 250 Tuner as well as the same time every time so what i have done is reconnect the Xray to the input 4 on the X-pre and hey presto it works!

Thankyou very much for your help, maybe the Harmony is actually quite good and it is just me that is useless!

I'm not sure if I want to brave the favourite channels yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Hi gsrai

Ow they are easy peasy :D . I got logos here . Just left click and save to target on your hard disk. Even used them as templates in Paint programme to make new ones. :cool:
    Hope you managed to get some sleep eventually; I really would not give up on the Harmony. It aims to integrate (not just control) random selections of equipment from thousands of manufacturers so it is inevitable that setup can be problematic at times.
    Sounds like you have sorted it but it occured to me that your pre-amp is actually a very simple device remote control wise; just 4 inputs and up/down volume; you could use any manufacturers 4 input pre-amp learn the 6 codes from the MF remote and even change its name.
    If you have time it would be worth just hunting through the Logitech setup menus there are loads of options that are not immediately apparent. Like extra custom commands when activites stop and start and mixing commands from any of your equipment in one activity.

Regards Richard

PS am visiting aged mother today so may not be able to reply to any posts today; will try and get time to log on her computer if possible.

9. OneDesi

OneDesi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    Richard

Thanks for all the help (I would've been lost without).

How did you learn all this about the HArmony as the instructions are quite sparse at best. I did wonder how you got the thing to learn new commands but am a bit lost.

I'll give the piccies a go later tonight

10. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Hi gsrai

Instructions! did yours come with instructions :D . There is the online manual here not read it myself (just kidding) but it is pretty comprehensive. Truth is I am retired and dont have any life or friends etc :thumbsup: so have the time to play with these toys; beats watching Television.

The learn (new or missing) Infrared commands is under the Devices / More Options Menu. This gives you a list of all the ones from the logitech database; just tick any you want to change or add and press 'learn new command' and follow the instructions.

Regards Richard

11. OneDesi

OneDesi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    Richard

Thanks again, for what it is worth I have a wife and kids - I too have no life!!

This hifi/AV thing is a nice hobby - I'm going to try to get the logos later in the week so will let you know how I get on then (fingers crossed)