Harmony 885 Screen Quality

nheather

Distinguished Member
I have a Harmony 885 and I am pretty happy with it although the screen is a bit of a disappointment

(a) Can't change Activity Icons
(b) Screen quality is poor

If it weren't for the fact that I prefer the look and feel of the 885 I would now be wishing that I had gone for the 525.

It is the scond point (Screen Quality) that I would like some advice.

Mine looks quite patchy. For example the background which is set to dark blue (I have tried changing backgrounds but with no improvement) does not appear as a uniform blue but as an irregular texture - like parchment or tie-dye.

In my opinion this is pretty poor given its price (mobile phone displays are much better at a lower price).

I've read a number of threads which suggest that the screen quality is poor and talk of screen fading - they also suggest screen burn, which I didn't think happens with LCD.

I'd like some guidance from other users. Is everyone experiencing this or are there good and bad ones out there. I need to know so that I can decide whether to ask for a replacement.

Thanks,

Nigel

Hawklord

I received my remote yesterday and haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary with my screen. The colours seem bright and uniform to me but it's quite hard to know any different without anything to compare it too.
I would've liked the screen to be slightly bigger but I'm more than happy with the remotes ease of use and functionality.
This is my first all in one and I'm happy to be able to discard the multitude of remotes from my lounge to the bottom draw:D
It certainly controls all of my equipment remarkably well and the activities are a godsend.
I'm more than happy with it so far and I feel it's good value for money.

It looks cool too (imo):smashin:

9/10 from me

ian watson

Standard Member
nheather said:
I have a Harmony 885 and I am pretty happy with it although the screen is a bit of a disappointment

(a) Can't change Activity Icons
(b) Screen quality is poor

If it weren't for the fact that I prefer the look and feel of the 885 I would now be wishing that I had gone for the 525.

It is the scond point (Screen Quality) that I would like some advice.

Mine looks quite patchy. For example the background which is set to dark blue (I have tried changing backgrounds but with no improvement) does not appear as a uniform blue but as an irregular texture - like parchment or tie-dye.

In my opinion this is pretty poor given its price (mobile phone displays are much better at a lower price).

I've read a number of threads which suggest that the screen quality is poor and talk of screen fading - they also suggest screen burn, which I didn't think happens with LCD.

I'd like some guidance from other users. Is everyone experiencing this or are there good and bad ones out there. I need to know so that I can decide whether to ask for a replacement.

Thanks,

Nigel
I agree with all of the above. Its patchy and is slow to respond to changes on the screen - it fades as the screen changes.

I think we are used to mobile phone screens. This remote must have a cheap display - I still love it though!

Ian

shahedz

Distinguished Member
although its not a biggy , i think the screen could be better, the current screen is more than adequate, i think the current screen is similiar to the screens you found on the 1st generation of colour screen mobiles. if they replaced the current screen with the screens yoh get on the current mobiles that would be great, i would give it 9/10 right now, and 10/10 with a better screen

nheather

Distinguished Member
shahedz

Thanks, I agree I could live with the screen. What I was trying to work out is whether what I describe is normal for a Harmony 885 - in other words should I be going for a replacement or would it be just the same.

Cheers,

Nigel

shahedz

Distinguished Member
i checked out my screen under scrutiny, and the blue screen is pretty unifrom, its not patchy, so i am thinking you may have adefective remote. i would change it, you dont need to worry about reprogramming your new handset as all you settings are saved online.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom