1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harmony 885 Questions

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by meansizzler, Aug 18, 2005.

1. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    Have a few questions about the harmony , it is suppose to switch all of your equipment on, but say if your sound system is already on, "not swithced on with the remote", and your use the remote to turn on all your equipment would it not switch off the sound system beacause it thinks it's off when it really is on?, just how intelligent is the remote....i mean what is the line of sight range for the remote, can you have your tv on the left side of the room and your sound system on the right, and media center pc in the middle will the remote then be able to send a signal to all of them, and in which direction should you point it..., thinking about getting one, but do not have enough info on it, there is not even a flash demo of the remote on their sight, kinda lame if they want you to spend that much cash on one, also i'm in london is there a place you could try one out at..please try and answer all these questions thanks...

2. czzer

czzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    Have a look at the review of the Harmony 659 at remotecentral.com. It works basically the same as the 885, at least as far as Smart State and programming goes.

Basically it remembers the state of everything and only turns things on/off as required, as long as you only use the one remote. If you turn something on or off on the unit itself, or with the OEM remote, then the Harmony won't know the state and will get out of synch. If this happens you just press the "Help" button and the remote asks you simple questions like "Is the TV On?", and you answer Yes or No until everything is back in synch.

3. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    Then the remote basically sucks on that facter then, pressing the help button defeats the fact of having the remote in the first place, might as well stick to your individual remotes....

4. Skeets_de

Skeets_de

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your standard remotes have to be used separately to turn on the DVD player, switch the Amp input to DVD and select the input on your TV and viewing mode. With the 885 you do this by pushing one Activity Button, so I'm not sure you've grasped the 885 functions. :rolleyes:

5. jaymz

jaymz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Go over to their website and tack a test drive. It will give you an idea of the concept of the remote.

I have a 655 and is much cheaper ~£50.

6. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    I'd rather demo the real thing, anyone know a place I can try out this £200 piece of equipment, and I don't think this remote can switch on my computer monitor, so guess one remote does not really do it all....

7. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +335
    Yo meansizzler.....

I've got one of these - £135 from CCL Computers.

It can be customised to operate anything that is already operated by a remote as you can teach it commands that are not already in the Harmony database.

Yes it will go out of sync from time to time, but pressing help and going through the questions gets it back. Also it is rechargable, sits on a cradle so no more batteries, and it has a colour screen, it is a cool toy and I think you might like it. It is just less cumbersome to do everything with one remote, rather than juggling with many.

I have my hi fi rack and MCE PC in the corner of the room and my panel in the middle of the room. If I put the remote on the coffee table and press an activity button it works fine. I guess you could test your set up by pointing the existing remotes in various directions and see how your equipment responds...

This is my first all in one remote, it is a bit pricey at £135 so if budget is an issue for you, maybe a cheaper model would be ok too. The Logitech support lines were very good, I had a few issues in getting it all set up, but it works well now.

hope this helps
    lisa

8. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    Thanks, I need to pick up an Imon for my PC first, so I will be able to turn it on via remote, then I can teach that command to the harmony...but I don't really don't need one yet, just had some answers,, but the remote really does not do what I want it to, say if i switch something on with a different remote, the harmony won't know this, also I won't fully trust a remote, say if I switch the audio to 5.1, I want to verify this, and the only way is to go up to the amp and check it, but I might as well change the audio using the amp then while i'm there...and until there is a remote as advanced as then I won't get one...

9. czzer

czzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    Why would you switch something on with another remote? Isn't the whole idea of getting a universal remote that all your other remotes will be relegated to the bottom of a drawer somewhere?

If you use the Harmony as intended it works brilliantly.

10. stricko

stricko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of the 885, and I think it's unreasonable to expect any universal remote to track the status of a piece of equipment if you use the original remote. But I am dissapointed that the 885 cannot track the power status of equipment when the 885 itself is sending what it knows to be power commands. How much more difficult is this than what it is already doing when switching from one activity to another?

11. andrewb0000

andrewb0000
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers lisag i ordered the last one from them for 135 :)
    lee

12. dodgyd

dodgyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    The 885 has no way of knowing if the command it transmitted was effectively received by the equipment you are controlling. Your Amp ,DVD player etc won't send acknowledgement signals back to the 885. That's what the 'help' feature is for on the 885. This particular implementation of InfraRed is connectionless (bit like a letter through the post, and not like a telephone call to coin an analogy (over) used to explain Internet protocols ;) ).

Hope that helps.

Dave.

13. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    I had a nightmare with the 655 remote. It would refuse to switch on the DVD player, so I pressed the help button. It said "is your Xbox switched on?" I said no, after which the remote switched the TV off and asked if my problem was solved! The 655 was one of the most fustrating remotes becasue the idea behind it is good (didn't microsoft and harman/karmon have a similar remote?) and the design excellent but the execution was appauling.

Is the 688 any better?

Russell