1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harmony 885, Panasonic TH-PV500, Dav-S880

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by dancuprar, Oct 25, 2005.

1. dancuprar

dancuprar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone overcome the problem with selecting AV channels etc with the PV500, via the harmony.

I only got the remote today so havent had a propper play yet, just thought i would see if there is anyone out there who can save me hours of swearing and pissing about.

Also having a similar problem with the DAV as it uses one function button to scroll through the different outputs. It gets confused about which one to stop on.

:lease:

Cheers

Dan

2. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Hi Dan

Have you tried

Device (say TV) Troubleshoot button

choose tv never goes to correct input -next

choose No (option no2) -next

choose Input settings (option no2) -next

choose either option 1 or 2 -next

choose whatever applies (I think its option 1 on your TV) -next

On next screen if on/off is working OK just go to next

This next screen may be the one with the problem I think you need to make sure you have flip option selected thats option no1.

Then just carry on answering as appropriate.

No guarantee this is your problem but might be worth trying for starters

I think this works the same for amps or integrated systems like your DAV

Richard

3. dancuprar

dancuprar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks richard, am at work now but al try it when i get home

4. dancuprar

dancuprar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry richard this didnt work, i think i need to explain a liitle more about how i use the original remote to select which input i want. Here it goes.

On the original remote you select Inuts I.e. AV1-4, Component etc by pressing one of the coloured buttons. This brings up a list of the AV channels on the screen and their corresponding colours i.e. AV1 press red.

The problem comes because there are more than 4 inputs on the TV, sometimes, say for instance your were on AV1 and want to go to component you would press, one of the coloured buttons to bring up the display, then the blue button to go across to the next set of inputs then the yellow button for Component.

Basically what i am saying is the final colour you press to select the input depends on what input you were on to start with.

5. msg

msg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi

Same set-up as on my Panny TX-26LXD50 by sounds of things.

If the blue option on your second page of inputs is undefined (as is the case on my TV), then you've got the basis of a workaround.

This uses the undefined blue option on the second page as an 'anchor'.

I've used this logic to select as follows...

AV1 - blue, red, red
    AV2 - blue, red, green (another green for AV2/S)
    AV3 - blue, red, yellow (another yellow for AV3/S)
    AV4 - blue, green (another green for AV4/S)
    Comp - blue, yellow

...where the first blue forces the second screen to display (and does nothing if it was already showing), followed by the red to return to the first screen as required.

I did subsequently require help from support however, because TV tuner would sometimes show when should have been AV and vice versa. They're trying to cure this with some new commands to correct the additional spurious TV/AV command being issued when not wanted. You may be lucky in this respect....

Dave ;)

6. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Hi
    Sounds very similar to the arrangement on my Panny CRT as well. Tried to log on to see if I could work out how I got mine working but the Logitech sign in seems to be off line again. :thumbsdow
    I think I pulled some trick like msq suggests but not sure.
    I wonder if Logitech support have a discrete code for the input status? if workarounds do not work.

Richard

7. dancuprar

dancuprar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    [[[[[ I did subsequently require help from support however, because TV tuner would sometimes show when should have been AV and vice versa. They cured this with some new commands to correct the additional spurious TV/AV command being issued when not wanted. You may be lucky in this respect....

Dave ]]]]

exactly the problem i am having mate, i have just sussed out how to get between AV channels by using your method above but like you say now i am having the problem where by. when i go "watch sky" it will select AV1 and i can see sky on the screen then a couple of seconds later the remote sends another commans (TV/AV) and the TV switches to DVB mode (terestrial).

Is it easy for you to explain how to stop this or should i call the support line.

8. dancuprar

dancuprar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also does anyone have any descreet codes for the DAV-S880, the remote is really struggling with the on/off and knowing which input to select.

9. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Hi Dan

Have you tried Remote Central Discrete Hunter here
    Mainly US orientated though.

Had a look at my Harmony set up for my Panny but it must be simpler than yours as all I seem to do is select AV1 for the STB/PVR or AV2 for the DVD and that works on mine. I thought I had some problems initially but really cannot remember; old age setting in. Sorry I am not helping am I.

Richard

10. msg

msg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Sorry but Harmony still struggling to get my set-up to work properly (awaiting another phone call from them). I really had thought they'd sorted it.

My own attempt which involved the colour sequence (earlier post) worked OK for moving around the inputs once in AV mode (as found by yourself), but I couldn't consistently get Tuner and AV to display at the right times when coming in/out of Tuner.

I had thought they were making good progress, but they now seem to be reaching a dead end.

:(

11. msg

msg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    The commands which Tech Support inserted in my set-up included things like...

SetInputType TV/AVInput
    SetTV/AVInput TV
    SetTV/AVInput AV
    SetPage12 Page1
    SetInputType AV2/AV2SInput
    SetAV2/AV2SInput AV2S

etc etc

The guy, although acknowledging that my colour logic works, did not accept that it was suitable for Harmony's control strategy. And now some of the settings he's changed are inaccessible to me via the website, so even if I wanted to change the config completely, it would still be 'infected' by some of Tech Support's mods. I've done so much work on customising the set-up for various other bits of kit that I don't want to even consider a new login name to get around this (thought I'd get that in before anyone suggests it !!).

So, despite all their (and my) time and effort in re-programming, the remote still struggles to select the correct page of inputs, goes to tuner instead of AV, goes to AV4 instead of AV1, selects teletext instead of AV1, moves my guide to view payTV when supposedly selecting an input etc etc.....

I've spent ages fiddling with delays and device settings (I must have carried out about 30 config downloads by now). Given up.....

I've obtained an RMA code for returning the damned thing and unless a remarkable fix transpires over the weekend it's going back... And things seemed to have been going so well earlier in the week when I was getting stacks of attention from tech support....

Dave

:mad: :mad:

12. dancuprar

dancuprar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am flicking through the av channels fine, apart from av1. When I go back to sky AV1 it will bring up sky and then change to TV. It also does when i switch it on, goes to av1 correctly and then changes to tv a couple of seconds later. The way mine works is by selecting, use the infared commands in the device menu and the following commands.

For AV1

SetTV/AVOutput AV
    SetRed/Blue input Red
    SetInputType video1
    Red

For Component

SetTV/AVOutput AV
    SetRedBlueInputBlue
    SetDigitalInputComponent
    Yellow

ETC,ETC missed out AV2,AV3,AV4 should be obvious what you want from the examples above

Need to ring the helpline about the TV/AV problem but i do feel like i am getting somewhere.

May be between the two of us we can get somewhere. :lease:

Dan

13. msg

msg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    The problem with the latest Panasonic TVs is that they remember their previous input state after an off/on power cycle - i.e. when you press TV/AV after a power cycle, the previously used input will be accessed; unfortunately Harmony's control logic can't remember which input is set.

These TV's also have a horrible method of input selection requiring presses of colour buttons and a choice of 2 screens of inputs.

I used some basic 'macro' type instructions (ignoring many of the prompts and red warnings on Harmony's website programming screens).

This relies on the fact that there is a redundant blue option on the 2nd screen of inputs. This is used as an 'anchor' i.e. I'm forcing the TV to initially access the second page of inputs, no matter which input was set at power-up.

In 'adjust inputs' for the TV device I set things as follows....

inputs - 'I go directly to input'

command for TV input - choose 'none' (say yes at next page despite red warning text saying remote may not work correctly)

command for device 'AV1' - TV/Video, (Blue,) Red, Red, Red

note that I've added an extra red - I found this was required to get AV1 to appear (not sure why, but it works !!). The blue is not required for AV1, but does no harm; it helps highlight the logic I've used where I'm using the redundant blue option on the second screen of inputs as an 'anchor'.

Blue either sends the TV to the second page of input options, or holds it there if the 2nd screen was already on display. The following red is the command which returns the TV to the first screen of options from the second.

command for device 'AV3' - TV/Video, Blue, Red, Yellow

command for device 'component' - Tv/Video, Blue, Yellow

etc, etc for each input

Then in the activity mode for each device which use inputs i.e. watch DVD

'Run the setup wizard again', and step through until you get to...

'Are these the correct settings for this Activity?'

Click - 'Yes, but I want to add more control of options and devices for this Activity' then 'next', and step through until you get to 'custom activities'

In 'leave action' click 'add' when your TV is selected in the drop down.

then click 'Send this infrared Command' and choose 'TV/Video' from the list

Do this for each of your activities which use inputs.

I've got delays (speed settings) set as follows....

power on 6000
    inter key 800
    input 800
    inter device 800

Hope this makes some sense. I've a bit more testing to do, but so far everything seems to be behaving.

PS - My video utilises auto-scart switching. So in TV device - input settings - I've set ALL options for AV2 to 'none' (and answered yes despite all the red warnings). The video automatically selects AV2 when it is powered up, and reverts to tuner at power down and/or stop.

Dave ;)

14. dancuprar

dancuprar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Al try it in the morning and get back to you dave, I have just been to the cinema to watch SAW 2, i can highly recommend it. Off to the pub now for some beers.

Want to stop and try it now but i will end up spending all night on it,playing with these remote settings etc seems to be one of those things where when your doing it 3 hours pass before you know it.

Cheers Dave

15. dancuprar

dancuprar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Making Progress Dave managed to stop it going to TV tuner when flicking between watch DVD, watch SKY etc.

But it still insists on going to the TV tuner when I switch it on by pressing watch SKY

DAN

16. Slimchandi

Slimchandi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    If your panny is like mine, you press a button and get a list of inputs up if you're on the tuner input. Then you press the corresponding colour for an AV input. If you're on an AV input, you need to press any colour and then choose the input you want. Pressing the AV/Tuner button whilst on an AV input will take you to the tuner. (Phew)

I figured out how to solve this problem with the aid of another post on here way back. The method is Always return to the tuner screen when you finish an activity. You can add a button press after exiting an activity, so put the AV/Tuner button here. Also have the TV default to the tuner when it turns on.

Now for the inputs. As you're always in the Tuner input before you select any activity, they are accessed by pressing AV/Tuner and then the colour you want. Remember to add the AV/Tuner press when you exit and all should be well.

17. msg

msg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Pretty sure my Panny is like yours, and I had already come to the same conclusion and set mine up exactly as you describe. Have been having problems with speed (delay) settings for the TV though, (pressing Help would always sort things out which pointed me in the direction of delays).

I've just changed them and everything now seems to be working.

Would be interesting to know what speeds you've used...

TV

power on 6000
    inter key 800
    input delay 800
    inter device 800

repeats set to 2

DVD

power on 1500
    inter key 500
    inter device 1000

VCR

power on 1500
    inter key 500
    input delay 1000
    inter device 1000

Thanks

Dave ;)

18. dancuprar

dancuprar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Think mine works different to both of yours msg and Slimchandi. If I am in tuner as far as i know there is no button i can press to bring up the colours for the AV channels. I have to press TV/AV and then press a colour to bring up the AV menu and then another colour to select the AV Input.

Its switching between AV's perfect its just this niggling problem with it going to Tuner when i switch on.

MSG here are my speeds

Power On Delay: 3000 ms
    Inter-key Delay: 200 ms
    Input Delay: 300ms
    Inter-Device Delay: 500 ms

But I am playing with them so they may not stay like this

19. msg

msg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    When setting the commands for each input in TV (device column) you must select TV/Video in the first drop-down box followed by each of the required colours.

Don't forget to set TV/Video as an additional command in 'custom actions', 'leave activity', so TV will revert to tuner when you leave the activity.

Also, remember when selecting the command for TV input - choose 'none' (say yes at next page despite red warning text saying remote may not work correctly)

Refer to my post 8:43 yesterday.

Dave

20. dancuprar

dancuprar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know why its not working Dave, its because the remote switches my TV on before my sky box and because the TV does not see a signal from the scart it reverts to the Tuner.

Is there a way of changing the order in which things switch on

21. msg

msg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    No, I don't think you can control order of switching... Harmony's logic supposedly puts things in a sensible order.

However, it sounds like the TV is seeing the Sky Box and autoswitching to the correct input, then the remote is issuing a TV/AV command which sends the TV back to tuner.

My VCR autoswitches via Scart in a similar way (connected to AV2). So I've set evey input command associated with AV2 to 'none' and I let the Scart autoswitch look after everything on this input.

Remember when choosing the command for TV input (the very first option when setting inputs)- choose 'none' (say yes at next page despite red warning text saying remote may not work correctly), you then select 'TV/AV' as the first item prior to the colour commands for each input (except the ones like Sky, which autoswitch on Scart, where everything is set to 'none').

Hope this helps.....

Dave

22. dancuprar

dancuprar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Dave

Been on to tech support for half an hour now, al let you know how they get on. I dont have autoswtching on the TV for AV1 unfortunately

23. msg

msg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I've got an option on my TV that can be toggled to enable it to always switch on in AV (as opposed to tuner). If you have such an option it may help....

Sounds as if you don't require any use of 'tuner' at all, and that all your viewing is done in AV. If you don't have the option described at the top of this message, then maybe the power on command for TV should be supplemented with 'TV/AV' in 'custom actions' 'start activity' 'add'.

I've had 3 hours on the phone with customer service, and though very attentive, patient and committed, I found they were determined to pursue a method of input control which they couldn't make work with the Panny TV, despite numerous tweaks.

Let me know how you get on.....

Dave

24. dancuprar

dancuprar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree very committed but now i find myself struggling to get back to where i was, the remote will not switch between devices now. God knows what they have changed.

I do have the option to start the TV in TV or AV. But dont quite understand what your getting at.

Dan

25. dancuprar

dancuprar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :clap: :clap:
    Looked again at the above and even though i couldnt get it to work last time i tried again. And i also think i have cracked it. Its just about the same as you describe it above with a few alterations.

One is the input delay, it took forever at 1500 so i just tried it at 300 and it works perfect.

Its also solved the problem when i switch on, i have selected start in TV mode in the TV's settings and the TV/Video command at the start of the device settings for each activity switches it back to av perfectly.

It does exactly what it says on the TIN :clap: :clap: :thumbsup:

Thanks for all your help Dave,

Dan

p.s. just got try and get the DAV behaving a bit better now

26. msg

msg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    You're welcome. Glad we've made good progress (was on the verge of sending mine back). Just require tech support to remove some massive delays they added to my VCR activity (these can't be accessed via the web interface.

Otherwise the inputs are behaving ....

Dave :thumbsup:

27. dancuprar

dancuprar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

In my AV1 device command i just have TV/Video Red, Red (Note, no blue command needed)

Just thought you could try it with yours, it works perfect with mine. If it works, it saves a couple of extra commands that arent needed. :thumbsup:

Less is More

Dan

Just a note for those struggling with the DAV inputs, i seem to have solved that as well. (Just got to tweak the speeds a touch)

Go to Adjust Inputs

Choose - I go directly to the input I want (usually for AV Receiver, Amplifier, etc.)

Then For DVD

Select - I use these infa red commands

PLAY

For Video 1

PLAY
    Function

For Video 2

PLAY
    Function
    Function

etc

This way the remote always has the DVD input as a starting point.

Dan

28. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    This thing is infuriating. I spent most of last night into the early hours struggling with this thing and my PV500.

I've given up, it takes so long to do that it's hardly worth all the effort. Well for me anyway. The remote goes back tomorrow :cool:

29. Supersonic

Supersonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    I've pretty much got mine how I want it, operating my kit (see kit list below). One thing I found caused a problem was I hadn't completed the inputs setup page, which turned out to be crucial to most of the Activities.

The web-based programming is a bit pedantic, but definitely easier for most people than coping with some kind of programming 'language'. Very pleased with my 885 so far.

30. dancuprar

dancuprar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you didnt send it back i would be happy to help you set it up for your tv. It works perfect every time with my PV500

Dan