Harmony 885 or Theatre Master MX-800?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by deadred, Apr 30, 2007.

1. deadred

deadred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    Bought a 885 of these forums and it arrived today, having a little play around with it it seems ok. However a couple of days before i bought the 885 i purchased a MX 800 from the states (i have a friend sending it over this week) has anybody had any experience with this remote, a search suggests otherwise as i can't find a great deal on it.

I'll be having a play with both and then deciding which one to keep, so anybody with an MX-800 that can offer advice or a review of it?

2. deadred

deadred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    Nobody got the MX-800 then :rolleyes:

3. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,898
    For me the 885 is an excellent remote works with everything i've set it up with.
    Took me a while to get it spot on and needed to call CS (free) but now it's set up right I'm over the moon with it.

4. deadred

deadred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    Yeah it is a good remote and i should be getting my hands on the MX-800 soon (which is also supposed to be a good remote) so i can compare the two. One feature that i think is excellent on the 885 is the tilt/on function meaning the lcd isn't draining the battery when your not using it.

5. czzer

czzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    It depends a lot on whether all your devices have discretes for power and input selection. If they do, then either remote will work fine...just the MX800 will take more effort to set up.

If your equipment doesn't have discretes, then the Harmony is a MUCH better option. Smart State is brilliant for keeping track if device states. The MX800 has no state awareness.

I tried an MX850 a while ago, and because a couple of my devices don't have discretes available I couldn't get it to work reliably with my system.

I then tried a Harmony(which was also about 1/4 the price of the URC), and had it running everything perfectly within 30 minutes. Couldn't be happier with it.

6. deadred

deadred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    Well after setting up the MX-800 (suprisingly relatively easy) it is a joy to use and i much prefer it over the Harmony 885, overall it seems much faster and responsive, even the wife picked it up and started using it straight away :eek: i have only programmed a few macro's at the moment and that is without reading the manual but overall i'm very happy with it :arty:

7. deadred

deadred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    I have now got the MX-800 fully programmed and it is a fantastic remote, it has handled everything i have thrown at it even a couple of things the Harmony 885 couldn't manage.

It sends out the signals smoother than the originals and certainly much faster than the 885. Setting it up is an absolute doddle and programming the macro's is straight forward. There is loads of room left to programme any extra devices if i need.

I'm suprised more people haven't owned one of these on the forums before (probably due to the fact of their availability) the only place i have found selling them in the UK is a guy on ebay for about the same price you pay for an 895.