Harmony 885 charger problems... a fix that really works.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by Jules, Aug 28, 2005.

  1. Jules

    Jules
    Well-known Member

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2000
    Messages:
    5,584
    Products Owned:
    1
    Products Wanted:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    134
    Ratings:
    +1,045
    Like many owners of the harmony 885, mine will not sit snuggly on the charging base so it constantly beeps and stops charging at the slightest nudge.. not to mention that it takes 3 or 4 goes at sitting it correctly to start charging.

    Logitech's suggested fix is to put tape over the 2 recesses on the base. Whilst this helps, it is not perfect.
    It still takes a couple of goes to sit correctly, and the once on the base it swings about at the bottom because it cannot 'sit' in the recesses.
    It also makes the base look a bit tatty.

    But, don't despair.... I have a fix that really works, albeit still using some tape.

    Cut thin slithers of black insulation tape, and effectively 'line' the recesses on the base with 3 or 4 layers of it (you may have to poke it in a bit)..
    This raises the height of the remote very slightly on the base to make good contact and still allows it to fall inside the resesses to prevent movement. I did it very carefully and you cannot see the 'modification' either.

    Now I just chuck the remote on the base and charges every time!

    Hope that helps.
     
  2. Rambles

    Rambles
    Well-known Member

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2004
    Messages:
    8,470
    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    136
    Location:
    UK
    Ratings:
    +1,352
    Don't fancy posting a picture do you?
     
    Last edited: May 28, 2017
  3. Jules

    Jules
    Well-known Member

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2000
    Messages:
    5,584
    Products Owned:
    1
    Products Wanted:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    134
    Ratings:
    +1,045
    Sorry Lisa, my digi camera is at my sisters.
    It probably wouldn't show up on a picture anyway.

    To clarify though, I cut strips of black insulation tape just under the length of each recess, and about 5mm wide. Then I simply stuck them to the bottom of the recess in layers...carefull poking them with a pair of tweezers so they didn't wrinkle.
    After a couple of layers it was a bit better, but after 4 layers it was perfect and practically invisible.
     

Share This Page

Loading...
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice