Harmony 885 after a year

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by mark.king, Dec 30, 2006.

1. mark.king

mark.king
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi I thought for anyone considering buying one I would give my experience from the past year.

From the start I was very impressed with the way this works. I have all sorts of gear and I managed to get everything working and changing over perfectly. I even put the little pics in for tv channels although I never use them lol.

I had a problem early on with the caddy being a bad fit. If I walked past the 885 would stop charging. Since then I have had a new caddy but it still suffers this problem a bit. I also had a problem that I left it in the caddy and the next morning the screen was still on. This got sorted in software but the screen got burnt.

The helpdesk have been good as has the site. At present I have two as I was sent another to replace the one with screen burn. The reason I haven't sent the other back is that the new one's motion sensor is terrible. I was told to give it time but I still have to give it a good slap even now. I feel this will eventually break which I think it is doing now ( stops working a few times and re-boots itself) The original with the dodgy screen still works.

Appart from all this I am using this every day and it only annoys me now and again. I did try to do something with the old remotes but couldn't even remember how to use them lol.

For the price it has been worth the money for the ease of use. The one big thing that could stop it being usefull to a lot more people is the size of the buttons. They really are small and you have to push with the edge of your nail (bit like my damn phone) I think if I were to get another universal remote I would prefer something with bigger buttons.

So there you go a year with the 885. Most of my problems were ironed out with later versions so you should be ok now :smashin:

2. jagdeepp

jagdeepp
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +551
    An excellent and brutal appraisal which i've read with great interest since i'm minded to purchase one.
    I bite my nails (horrible habit i know) and therefore always struggle with small buttons. In the dark they can be particularly annoying.
    Anyone know if the big brother the 895 has bigger buttons?
    Mind if i ask whether the IR's reach is any good on this remote in your experience? I'm looking to get one but my AV system is all over the room, left right and centre, therefore i need a remote which doesnt require very strict line of sight.

3. KingOfGondor

KingOfGondor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    i bite my nails and have no real problems. i can use the buttons

i believe the buttons on the 895 will be much the same but the 895 may benefit you as the IR won't have to reach all the devices

4. mark.king

mark.king
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The main buttons at the bottom are ok. It's the ones by the screen that are not. Just tried them now and I can't press one only without using my nails. Mind you I do have sausage fingers lol.