Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Harmony 655 vs 688

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by kriswood5, Nov 16, 2004.

1. kriswood5

kriswood5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys

Can anyone confirm the following please?

If I wish to be able to operate a sky+ recording capability, do I need a 688 or will the 655 suffice? Logitech's website states that the 688 is the right control if you have a digital recording device such as TiVo (which assume to be teh same as Sky+).

Thanks

2. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I looked at both before buying, but could not see where the advantage was with the H688. The H655 operates my Humax PVR8000T happily and the buttons are in more logical positions IMO.

I also could not find anyone selling the H688 in the UK.

3. kriswood5

kriswood5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am starting to lean towards the H655 but have also not been able to find a retailer in UK for the 688. I have done a lot of searches on this forum and have found a bit of useful info.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    thats cause 688 is not a uk model and 655 is

5. kriswood5

kriswood5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm gonna take the plunge and order the 655 from Dixons £99. The seems like a decent remote at a very good price so will give it a go.

Thanks for info all

6. toby_smith

toby_smith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi kriswood5,

I want to get one in the next couple of weeks. Can you let me know if Dixons indeed had stock, and if it went through OK? And then of course any feedback on the remote would be great too!

Thanks, Toby.

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Dixons have the 655 for £99!!!!! online or in store???
    CRumbs they do as well
    Model - LOGITECH H655
    Product Code - 786023
    £99.99 Stonking...Kinda of glad i didnt powerbuy them now........ NEW Logitech buying Harmony would screw stuff up....

8. kriswood5

kriswood5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i've ordered it online, they have stated 5-7 days delivery. Will let you know outcome.

9. sjp21

sjp21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I ordered mine from the Dixons website on Monday. Just had confirmation that its been dispatched today.

For anyone who interested you might try the 'youatwork' discount code - worked for me. £5 discount - came to £100.98 inc P&P.

10. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I bought my H655 in store - in the Burnley Dixons, which is a fairly small one, so there should be no problem in the large branches.

11. gr-argh

gr-argh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

12. Skip67

Skip67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Do I get a prize for getting my new 655 for £52.50 ?? :rolleyes:

It was off eBay and I was bloomin' fortunate....same seller sold one for just over a ton a week later....

* Dis-engages smug mode * :cool:

13. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    C'est la vie :rolleyes:

14. Ultim8Fury

Ultim8Fury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    688 is available in logitechs online store for £119 just bought one to replace my annoying RU940 pronto.

15. spook

spook
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ultim8Fury, does it do what they say, ie everything that the 655 does and more? or are there some Eurocentric features missing?

from what I can see of the Harmony system, the remotes are not particularly specific to any country so long as you choose the appropriate devices from the list online? would I be correct?

I like the look of the 688 as I am using Sky+ and will also be using a twin Freeview PVR,

Spook

16. a9who

a9who
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :hiya: Spook

The only problem with the 688 is that it doesn't have the red, green, yellow and blue hard buttons which I would find a real inconvenience.

I have the 655 bought from Dixons. If you go into Dixon's they are not generally with the remote controls they are with the PC stuff, many of the staff don't know where they are.

They do take time to understand and get it right but they are way better than having a table full of remotes. Would do without mine :thumbsup: .

17. Ultim8Fury

Ultim8Fury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spook: I only ordered it at 2:55am on friday. So it not here yet. Will let you know how it goes when it does get here.

18. Comrade Chimp

Comrade Chimp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you let us know what you think of it when it turns up. I'm on the verge of buying one myself as I like the look of it a lot more than the 655, but so many people are saying the 655 feels better.

19. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My 655 is on its way back to Dixons.It needs to control 8 devices but was hopeless with my Manhattan satellite receiver.Although they have 2 listed,neither offered all the functions I need.The remote refused to learn various commands,then when it got as couple they did not work properly.
    Its a nice idea but I think it needs leaving alone for a while until their database is more complete.
    The customer service was excellent over the phone but if it cannot control all my devices then theres no point in keeping it.My Marantz RC2000Mk2 is a beauty,but is long in the tooth and I felt like a change.I tried all the touchscreen models but found I prefer proper buttons.
    I suppose I'll have to wait awhile longer.

20. jon smith

jon smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    I'm having probs getting this to control my SKY+.

All the menu buttons repeat 2-3 times on whatever i'm doing. I've tried turning repeat to 0 but the menu still moves down 2 or 3 times when I move down. Altering the speed settings hasn't helped either.

It's a great remote but this is really bugging me. Can anyone help?

21. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    The whole point about the Harmony database is that it is entirely created by users. If the device that you want to use is not there, you are invited to create a record of it. If the device that you want is there but doesn't do all that you want, than you can easily modify the record.

You are quite correct to send it back if it does not meet your requirement, I've done it my self.

For me it's the best that I have used. :thumbsup:

22. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know that Harmony are tryingto build their database from users like me,but as I have sent the commands for my Manhattan to the site at least 10 times and it still does not work it has to go.
    I found it ok with Sky+,however my Pioneer dvd recorder was ok except the unit seemed slow to respond to commands.I am not meaning really slow,but the Pioneer reacts instantly to the Marantz but it takes a split second for the Harmony,but when you are flicking around constantly ,the smallest delay is annoying.
    I even sent it New Commands but it still failed to do what it was supposed to do.
    I'm sure many people will find it brilliant at £100,especially when you compare the OFA Kameleon at £60 which only does the main buttons.
    Maybe its best avoided if your device is not listed,asthis seems to be the reason for my problems.
    The service given over the phone by the company is excellent,and they eveb wrote a program especially to get my WATCH DVD RECORDER working right,which was different to WATCH A DVD.
    One thing I noticed,the WATCH A MOVIE was geared up to use VHS,but the site appeared to not offer an option to change the WATCH A MOVIE activity.
    The company seems to be really pushing the MACRO activity buttons,but I just want multi device control easily,and I find the Marantz superior,although it has 4 Macros I never use them

23. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Just a quick point about slow response times, something new users often comment on.

The response time depends on the interkey delay. This is often set at 500ms or 0.5 second which is why it feels slow. You only need to reduce it to something like 100ms for operations to be as quick as the original remote.

24. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I assume there is a master setting of the delay time which should be the same for all keys.
    Thats whats so annoying.I will use the Pioneer,and some buttons react fast,others slow.I have not altered the delay anywhere.Could it be something else?

25. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Phelings,

For each device there are usually four delay settings. This means that not all operations for that device will take the same length of time if the settings are different.

To access them open up the web page, choose your device and click on 'more options' then 'Adjust the delays'

Power On Delay. When a device receives a 'PowerOn' command, it takes a certain amount of time to 'warm up' the device and resume normal operation. For most devices this happens very quickly, but for some devices such as televisions and receivers it can take up to 3000 milliseconds (three seconds).

Inter-key Delay. When a device receives an infrared command the device will become 'busy' processing the command. The amount of time required before the device will respond to another command is known as the inter-key delay, and normally ranges from zero to 300 milliseconds. Devices with long inter-key delays take longer to respond to multiple infrared commands (for example, when changing television channels).

Input Delay. When a device switches inputs (e.g. goes from Video 1 to Video 2) the device will become 'busy' processing the command. The amount of time required before the device will respond to another switch input command is known as the Input delay, and normally ranges from 500 to 3000 milliseconds. Devices with long Input delays take longer to change inputs.

Inter-Device Delay. When an infrared command is sent for a particular device, every device in your system will receive the command, but only one will respond to it. The other devices will ignore the infrared command. Sometimes, when this happens, a device will ignore the infrared signal and then stop accepting infrared commands for a period of time. This period of time is known as the inter-device delay, and during this time no infrared signals are generated by the remote. In rare cases this delay can be several seconds.

26. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Jon, I found that sometimes even though a device that I had was present in the database, the commands did not always work correctly i.e. my Humax PVR8000T. The answer on this occasion was to re-learn all the commands that I would use.

1. Go to the device
    2. Click 'more options'
    3. Click 'Learn infrared commands'
    4. Learn the commands for the buttons that you want to use.

If basic re-learning doesn't get the correct behaviour, try learning them as raw commands.

1. Click More Options beside the device on your Harmony home page.
    2. Click Learn Infrared Commands.
    3. Click Custom. The page will reload.
    4. Select the boxes for commands you would like to teach, and click Learn Selected as Raw.

27. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its all well and good having all this delay this ,delay that,makes it very flexible.However,I bought it expecting it to be simply selecting the devices from their site,connecting it to the remote,and away you go.Farting about like this is one of the reasons all those Pronto type touchscreen models went back.
    My Marantz RC2000 is excellent,though out of date,with writing starting to vanish from well used keys,but as a learning remote it makes the Harmony look like an MI5 cypher code.
    Why can't the Harmony simply have all the codes listed for the devices,but instead of learning one by one like the Marantz,it uploads them,then you simply alter the layout.
    Anothger annoying thing.When you are on one device if you flick past the page with a certain function on it,if you skip past too fast,you can't flick back a page-you have to cycle through them again-and with my TV having about a dozen pages its infuriating.

28. Barzo

Barzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +473
    Phelings,

I've just bought a Harmony 655 to replace the same Marantz as yourself (a superb remote). I'm currently trying to get the 655 set up to my liking, and agree that it is more problematic than it could be. However, programming the RC2000 MKII was a pain at the start as well.

Your point about having to scroll through screen after screen is a good one, but I've found a partial solution. It is possible to at least reorder the commands on each screen. One does this by deleting the existing command on the website (along with action) and then either leaving it deleted or replacing it with another command. Once all changes are completed, and 'Done' is clicked, presto - commands on LED are at least in order. Also, configuring the remote means that you can have six command on the LCD - not as good as the Marantz's eight, but none too shabby.

Re: database and learning. Yes, I expected it to be much easier, but I am also happy to relearn all the commands (from the Marantz, as it happens). It has not proved problematic at all - at least, no worse than programming the Marantz. Same issues with some control codes - too fast or too slow, and it is trial and error on button presses. Plus. I'm hoping this will all improve as time goes on, as more devices/configs are added, and Logitech keep upgrading features.

This is only my first day of use, but I am already pleased with the one button functions. Very useful, but they will need a lot of configuration to maximise potential - e.g. making sure the most often used commands are mapped to the activity for the devices involved.

Will update as I continue to live with this remote, if people are interested.

29. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did change it to 6 items ,but reordering and deleting functions was a bit of a trial.As you say,I just expected it to be simple but I suppose for true flexibility there is no way for it to be simple.
    But as it steadfastly refuses to work on my Manhattan satellite I can't go on with it so its going back to Dixons.
    I will leave it for a few months then check the site to see if my device has been added.
    Granted,the Marantz was a pain to start,but only time consuming,not difficult like the Harmony.
    Oh well-it looks so nice in the dark too

30. Ultim8Fury

Ultim8Fury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my 688 finally arrived today from germany by the looks of the post mark. Had a quick play at setting it up and I'm going to have to re-program the telly commands. Impressed with the device though as it seems well made, is nicely weighted and the buttons are dimpled for easy locating.

sure it doesn't have the red, green, yellow, blue buttons on but to be honest none of my devices make much use of them anyway and I don't think I've ever used teletext.

Should all be programmed by tomorrow night. Which shaves a full 3 days off the Pronto programming time.