1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harmony 655 simulator

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by RedRose, Dec 22, 2004.

1. RedRose

RedRose
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi. I just got a 655 and find it pretty good, but I can't get the simulator software to work. I get the error

run-time error '1':
    Application-defined or object-defined error

I've sent off a help request to Logitech but just wondered if any one else had seen this.

2. ndenbow

ndenbow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Yes I had this. I gave up in the end. Please let me know what response you get from Logitech.

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    is this software from CD or website? have you tried downoading latest versions?

4. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    These are Harmony's words on your problem:

5. RedRose

RedRose
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thank guys. Yes, I had a very similar reply.(in fact, VERY similar - so they obviously spend a lot of time on each case). Just for your amusemnet here is what I sent in reply to their reply:

Thank you for your reply, but I'm afraid it is not good enough. I am a member of a large web community (AV Forums) where there are several other people who have said they had exactly the same problem, so it can't just be me or my computer's environment/Operating System configuration. And if several respond on the web then how many people are having the problem and not telling anybody?
    Can't you ask somebody in the team who wrote this software what could be causing the problem? There is no point at all in providing a piece of software, even if it's free, if it doesn't work. To be honest you'd be better off not providing it at all because your lack of willingness to help could be interpreted as contempt for the customer who just spent almost 200 U.S. dollars on your remote control. Suggesting that I reboot the computer and reinstall is just plain patronising. Anybody who investes in such a sophisticated piece of equipment is almost certainly quite computer-competent and has almost certainly already tried these basic tasks (I have done these things, by the way). I really hope that your Customer Support people (person?) is not just there for political reasons i.e. because every well-known company must have one, and all they do is send out these rather vacuous replies.
    I apologise if I seem a little annoyed, but it's because I am. Your web site does not state that the software is provided "as is", and I'm sure that if I and my web colleagues were helped to make it work your name would be very much enhanced. I hope you can see your way to providing come real customer support rather than sending out a standard reply which, frankly, is counter-productive. It's a shame, because the 655 R.C. is a superb product and working software would be a very nice thing to have.

Regards

6. RedRose

RedRose
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I got another reply from Logitech. Short version: the 655 ISN'T SUPPORTED BY THE SIMULATOR . Now wouldn't it have been nice if they'd said that instead of all that dikking about? Long version:

We are sorry that our previous answer was not sufficient. Unfortunately the simulator software is an in house tool that we use that we decided to provide to our customers, however with no support.

After some further investigation we noticed your account is a 655 account. At this time the simulator tool does not support our newest remotes, the 655, the 676, and the 680. Currently we are working on provided a new version of the simulator that will support these new remotes.

We apologize for the misunderstanding and any grief this issue may have caused you. If you require any additional assistance, please contact our Support team, or visit our FAQ’s located on your Harmony member homepage, by clicking the “Support” link

Guess what. I told them that I had a 655 in my original email to them. They seem to be bragging that they knew that I'd bought a 655. Absolute pants support. If my company gave support like that we'd lose all our customers. No excuses. High-tech products occasionally need supporting, and what I got is NOT support. Yeah, OK, it's an unsupported, in-house program, but at least list what hardware it supports for God's sake. At least then we avoid all this unnecessary toing and froing.

That last bit about how to contact Support is priceless.

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Its a shame cause having dealt with Harmony (before logitech bought them) they were awsome.... seems that logiterch have squeezed them for profit and stuffed it all up (like selling to DSG at well below trade) something the UK importer Invisoin UK told me they would not be doing.......... It was a great product with great support....now its a great product with less than useful owners....

8. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    There goes another sale then, was going to try one of these :(

9. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    Nic Rhodes, what's put you off, most users don't need the simulator.

10. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I have a wide diversity of kit that is changing, the ability to be able to test it all beforehand was appealing but the killer was the service....:(