Harmony 655 problems

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by XSpud, Nov 6, 2005.

1. XSpud

XSpud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive been trying to get this thing working now for a good few hours, and no success, its a complete pain in the arse.
    First impressions are:
    it doesnt do what i want it to do ( control a topfield PVR and a TV)
    the set up process/problem solving is extremly frustrating to use, with options and menus that dont list whats needed.

This is what ive been trying to get it to do for the last few hours:

Turn on the TV from standby( hitachi C2117T)
    put the TV on to RGB mode
    Turn on the topfield (tf 5800 pvrt), without trying to turn it off if its already on ( if this isnt possible, then i can skip this as i can turn the toppy on via its front panel)

Progress so far:
    The buttons on the harmony light up when I press them with a blue glow, and it keeps asking me if the Tv is on now, so i select 'No' and it asks me again and again and again with the same result, nothing happens

2. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Hi xspud

I have two differnt harmonys running two Topfields (in different rooms) and they work fine.
    I do not want the Toppy being turned on and off whenever I change activities e.g. watch a DVD. The Toppy might be recording for instance. Actually I would advise keeping the Toppy on all the time when you using the A/V system. Or off all the time if it not going to be used at all.
    To do this just go to options in Topfield box on the home page. 'Stay on all the time' or something like that is item 1 on the next menu.
    If you then put the Toppy power toggle command on one of the label buttons by the LCD you can turn it on or off when you want. I bring it out of standby with this before I press Watch TV for instance. Then turn it off with Device/ power toggle after I have used the main Harmony Off button. Hope that helps.
    I dont understand why it keeps asking you if the TV is on; presumably this is after you have pressed the Help button?
    Sounds like the Harmony may not even have got the right code for your TV. Did it identify your model from the database correctly when you first set it up. I would check this first if you have not already.
    If that does not help you might need to teach it the code from the original remote.
    If you do and it still does not work try the RAW learning option.

Sorry if this is a bit confused but should be working so rather rushed.

Richard

3. XSpud

XSpud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This thing obviously takes some time to set up, ive deleted all activities and all devices, and im now trying to get them to work one at a time.

This is more of a basic question, but how can you alter the order of the device list?
    at the moment its reading:
    TV
    DVD
    PVR

instead im tring to get it to read
    TV
    PVR
    DVD

is this possible?

4. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Hi rich :)

I may be wrong but I do not think you can reorder them; but why are trying to do this?

Richard

5. XSpud

XSpud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another problem im having is with the set up 'software' that insists on running through internet explorer.
    ive just spent ages trying to set the remote up, and all of the sudden im getting a "session timed out" message "please enter your log in ID and password"
    which after putting in my details over and over again, has only just decided to let me through to the set up pages again.

The set up software for the harmony 655 is a compete and utter pain in the arse, with the functions that Im trying to get to hidden behind countless option pages, that keep sending me round and round and round in circles.

As for the remote, I havent been able to fully use it yet, as ive been stuck in set up hell.

6. skyline32

skyline32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    You are giving the perfect illustration of why I don't want that type of remote.

I'm amazed that nobody makes a fully learning remote like the Sony RM VL-900 which is designed for the UK, and so has the four coloured buttons. I'd think there were lots of people like me who want a plain hard-button remote which can be set up without the need for codes or using a PC.

7. horribleman

horribleman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Completely agree.

A nightmare to get it to select the right input when you tell it to start a DVD or watch TV.

Hopefully this is worth it :(

8. msg

msg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Correctly selecting inputs on some TV's seems to be a problem area with Harmony remotes; everything else about their ability to control devices seems fine.

For selection of inputs, try going back to basics with the programming and ignore Harmony's logic.

I've had to do this to control inputs on my Panasonic TV and it works without fail.

I used some basic 'macro' type instructions (ignoring many of the prompts and red warnings on Harmony's website programming screens).

In 'adjust inputs' for the TV device I set things as follows....

inputs - 'I go directly to input'

command for TV input - choose 'none' (say yes at next page despite red warning text saying remote may not work correctly)

command for device 'AV1' - TV/Video, then in next box select whatever your TV requires to get to AV1 (and use subsequent boxes if additional commands are required).

etc, etc for each input

Then in the activity mode for each device which use inputs i.e. watch DVD

'Run the setup wizard again', and step through until you get to...

'Are these the correct settings for this Activity?'

Click - 'Yes, but I want to add more control of options and devices for this Activity' then 'next', and step through quite a few screens until you get to 'custom activities'

In 'leave action' click 'add' when your TV is selected in the drop down.

then click 'Send this infrared Command' and choose 'TV/Video' from the list

Do this for each of your activities which uses inputs.

Hey presto, you've set up a sequence of commands which mimics exactly what you would have done on your original remote.

You may have to tweak delay/speed settings to make sure IR commands are not sent at wrong timings to be 'seen' by your devices.

I've got mine set as follows...

power on 6000
    inter key 800
    input 800
    inter device 800

My video utilises auto-scart switching. So in TV device - input settings - I've set ALL options for AV2 to 'none' (and answered yes despite the red warnings on every screen). The video automatically selects AV2 when play is pressed, and reverts to tuner at the stop command.

Hope this helps....

Dave

9. horribleman

horribleman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    It does, thanks. I'll try it at the weekend.

One thing annoys me - the website seems to randomly go to the wrong pages in the menu sometimes.

Also, For Sky mode, pressing channel up goes up then straight back down. I've tried teaching it the button from the Sky remote :(

Everything else is cool.

10. XSpud

XSpud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One week on and im still struggling with the harmony the set up software ( or is it a website) is a complete and utter pain in the arse with countless menus sub menus and pointless questions that ive answereed time and time and time again.
    then when it looks like im getting somewhere the stupid thing tells me i need to log in.
    why the hell do i need to log into something that should be on a peice of software that lets me set up a device?
    After ive logged in it then decides to tell me that the site is unavailable as its under development, when the set up page finaly re-loads all the stuff that ive been trying to put back amd spent a long time trying to get the ****ing thing to work has re-set itself to deafault and all the stuff ive put in has disapeared and re-set itself.

11. horribleman

horribleman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    My remote was controlling the TV input correctly, and now it jumps to the right input then back to TV.

Starting to pee me off.

12. msg

msg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Are you following the logic in post 8 above?

Dave

13. XSpud

XSpud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is what i am trying and failing to get it to do

Equipment:
    TV - Hitachi TV (C2117TOT-311)
    Topfield PVR (TF5800PVRt)
    Acoustic Solutions Amplifier (DS533)

this is what i want to do:
    Press Watch TV
    the remote then brings my TV out of standby, switches it on to AV then turns on the Topfeild by sending a 'Select' comand to it if the topppy is recording pressing the power toggle will bring up a message saying do you want to cancell the recording which can be cleared by sending the 'Select' comand and the onscreen message will go away as No has been selected.

when i press Off i want it to turn the TV and the Toppy off, and then send a select comand to the toppy ( in case its recording the select comand will clear any on screen messages)

Break all of that down and i am trying to get the remote to do this:
    (press watch TV)
    1: Turn on TV (as in using the 'TV' button on the origanal remote)
    2: change the TV to AV (as in using the RGB/AV button on the remote)
    3: Turn on the topppy (as in using the power button on the toppy remote)
    4: Clear the recording in progress message that comes up when the power button is pressed while the toppy is recording ( as in pressing Select/OK on the toppy remote)
    5: Turn on the AV amplifier
    6: set the AV amplifier to Optical input

turning off:
    1: switch off TV
    2: switch off toppy
    3: Send Select message to toppy
    4: Switch off AV receiver.

Another thing i would like to do is get hold of the propper set up software, instead of using that absolutly dire website thing that keeps tryong to set the remote up by means of asking questions and keeps on logging me out every now and again.
    Ive tried to call the free customer support line as indicated in the instruction booklet but the only number i can find is 800-2911-5055 which tells me that " the number you have dialed has not been recognised"

14. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Do not follow this; you are trying to send commands to a device after you have turned it off? This would seem to be illogical.

15. richardbarman

richardbarman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Xspud,

There is no 'propper' software. The only programming that can be done is via the website interface. It is frustratingly slow and cumbersopme, but it does work.

The customer service number (that definitely works) is 00800 29115055. The 00 at the start is important.

The 655 will definitely do what you want. You may need to add the 'select' command to the activities in the same way that MSg describes adding a TV command in post 8.

The Harmony customer support is very good, although they can be a bit too 'simplified' sometimes, as they are dealing with every tom/dick/harry who might not have the batteries in even.

If you get really desperate, send me a pm.

Richard

16. horribleman

horribleman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Yeah, and it worked until I adjusted the sensitivity of the TV.

I put it back and it is still not working. I even deleted and re-added the kit.

It tries to go to component 1 or component 2, but then jumps back to TV.

Starting to annoy!

17. msg

msg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Critically important, if using the 'basic' logic I described in post 8, that you select 'none' at the prompt to enter a command for TV input - (say yes at next page despite red warning text saying remote may not work correctly)

This might be the reason for it switching as you describe.

Don't forget to add TV/AV in 'leave action' to get TV to return to tuner mode.

Dave