1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harmony 655 now, or wait for the 880?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by Typical Janner, Mar 9, 2005.

1. Typical Janner

Typical Janner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in the mood to replace my trusty Marantz RC2000. I like the look of the 655, but like the look of the 880 even more! However, if they do the usual thing with exchange rates, and have $1=£1, I'm not sure I would be too happy paying £250 for it (£150 more than the 655!).

So, does anybody know what the UK price will be? Has it been announced anywhere yet? I've registered on the Logitech site to be contacted when the 880 is available, but does anybody know when this is likely to be available in the UK? Are we talking weeks or months?

I see that the 880 has a colour screen and is recharged from a base unit, but are these the only significant differences to the 655? If so, I'm not sure they would justify an extra £150 (if that does prove to be the cost difference).

2. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    It looks like April release in the USAand May in Europe, unless you can pick it up over there.

Here is a short video review H880

3. Kingskin

Kingskin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bit of a noob here so be gentle if this is a stupid question, but would there be any issues with buying this in the US and getting it sent to the UK, ie is the US version exactly the same or are there region/country specific features of remote controls that would stop it working? (aside from the charging base which will run 120v for the US version I assume)

I want to get this asap and also I assume it will be cheaper from the US so it would be nice if it is exactly the same regardless of location.

4. Typical Janner

Typical Janner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Although it might be cheaper to buy, remember that you could still get hit for import duty by HM Customs and a charge from the courier for processing this!

Some US retailers are more sympathetic to this risk, and will do what they can with the packaging and customs slip to minimise the odds of it getting caught. However, others will state on the customs slip exactly what is in the package, and how much it is worth. Customs will say "thank you very much", and charge you accordingly.

Of course, simply finding a US retailer who is willing to ship overseas can be difficult enough ...

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  6. Kingskin

Kingskin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very good points, but luckily I have someone in the US who can buy one send me it privately :thumbsup: