1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harmony 628 vs 655/688

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by Beancounter, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Beancounter

Beancounter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    I already have a Harmony 688 which is simply the best conrtol I have used. Having bought a Philips Video Sender I now find my bedroom awash with controls now so I have been looking on ebay for a cheap(er) Harmony control.

Can anyone tell me the difference between the 628 and the 655 and 688. The 628 seems to be selling for around the £40 mark so if it can do everything my 688 does I might be tempted by that.......or am i better spending a few quid extra and getting a 655 from Dixons for £69?

Cheers :)

2. £note

£note

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    From what I have read, the 655 has an extra button or two and uses the same downloaded software. In principle the 655 is a later "model"

For what it is worth, I picked one up on Ebay for around £28 and am delighted with it.

Regards
    £note

3. Beancounter

Beancounter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    I got 2 for £50 on ebay. My wife has a slight disability which means the lok button and the directional scroll is a bit hard for her to use but she finds the 628 great.

Now got to decide if I keep both 628s and sell my 688 instead!

4. G-man.au

G-man.au

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Earlier in the week I posted asking about using my PDA as a remote control. Now I notice that the Harmonys are popular and I have seen a few 628's on eBay for about £30.

Wife wants a simple all in one remote that will turn everything on with one button press. Does the 628 have this sort of macro functionality?

5. czzer

czzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    Certainly does. In fact, if you want simple to use, you won't find anything better than a Harmony. Their "Activity" concept is brilliant. If you want to watch a DVD, you press the "Watch DVD" button, and everything required turns on, correct input is selected, and all buttons control that activity. ie volume button controlls receiver, chapter button controls DVD player etc.

6. psflynn

psflynn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have a 655 and think it is brilliant - and fully agree with the simple to use.

However setting up initially can be a very troublesome process for some (including me - but i got there in the end!)

7. G-man.au

G-man.au

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent, there is a 628 on eBay ending this afternoon that I will bid on.

Thanks for all your help guys.

8. G-man.au

G-man.au

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I ended up buying the 659 and it has exceeded my expectations. Thanks to all of you that replied here.

PS: Wife also very happy with only one remote to use now.