Harmony 555 Vs 785 Vs 885

cerebros

Hi all,

Just a quick question regarding these Harmony remotes that I'm not completely certain of after viewing the details on Logitech's website...

Basically is the only difference in terms of functionality between these the fact that as you go higher up the model range you get more of the "Activities" buttons?

Also, for the menu cursor control I can't tell from the pictures on the website whether the OK button is actually a dedicated sperate button, or the whole cursor control thing is part of a single button (hope it's the former as discrete up/down, left/right, ok always works better than a single button).

Finally, can anyone who has these remotes tell me how well you get on with the slightly odd positioning of the transport controls? i.e. the fact that they put the play, pause, record and stop controls on the outside, whearas on every OEM remote control I've ever come across they always put fast forward/rewind, skip forward/backward controls, the ones on the outside of the remote.

Also, I note that the 555 has the fasttext buttons on the bottom of the remote rather than around halfway up the remote. Again, does this take a lot of getting used to?

clockworks

As well as the extra buttons, you gain extra features, such as colour screen, rechargeable battery and charging cradle, proper tilt sensor to turn on the backlight, etc. The basic functionality is exactly the same for all models.

The 2 that I've got (525 and 885) both have a single ring for the arrow keys, and a separate OK button.

I find the 885 extremely easy to use - it's the first universal I've had (and I've owned too many to remember) that has replaced the Sky+ remote.

cerebros

As well as the extra buttons, you gain extra features, such as colour screen, rechargeable battery and charging cradle, proper tilt sensor to turn on the backlight, etc. The basic functionality is exactly the same for all models.

To be honest the colour screen doesn't appeal to me that much, nor does the rechargeable battery side. Coming from using a Pronto, I'm not sure that I'd want the backlight coming on every time I picked up the remote - a well set-up profile means that the action I need to perform is normally controlled by one of the hard buttons. ('m actually only looking at getting something else beucase the gf still isn't completely comfortable with the Pronto and I've had it 4-5 years now, so it could well conk out any day now) .

How long does your 885 last between charges? The colour screen and sensor must drain the battery quite quickly

clockworks

The colour screen isn't really that useful, since you can't do much with the graphics. The 885 does, however, display icons, while the 525 just displays text. The screen resolution on the colour models is higher, allowing longer names/labels for the buttons.

The backlight also illuminates all the buttons, which is useful in a dimly-lit room.

My 885 goes for at least a couple of weeks between charges.

brendan_dj

I find the 885 extremely easy to use - it's the first universal I've had (and I've owned too many to remember) that has replaced the Sky+ remote.

Does the 555 operate the Sky HD digibox?

J

jackal

I've got the 885 and 525 and both operate SKY HD. The only problem with the 525 (same chassis as 555) IMO is that it feels a little flimsy, and the buttons can be a little unresponsive. However the cheaper remote offers 90% of the 885s functionality and thus has to be regarded as being great value for money. Whichever you buy you'll be left wondering how you managed before...........

cerebros

My 885 goes for at least a couple of weeks between charges.

As little as that? My Pronto went for 3 months on the dedicated battery pack, and does nearly the same from AA rechargeables.

clockworks

As little as that? My Pronto went for 3 months on the dedicated battery pack, and does nearly the same from AA rechargeables.

I've never run it right down. It's got a 3 segment battery indicator, and I normally recharge it as soon as it gets down to one segment.
My Marantz RC9200 (Pronto) also needed charging every 2 or 3 weeks - maybe I press buttons more often than you!

Since rechargeables have a life of at least 300 cycles, charging every 2 weeks means it should be good for at least 10 years.

cerebros

I've never run it right down. It's got a 3 segment battery indicator, and I normally recharge it as soon as it gets down to one segment.
My Marantz RC9200 (Pronto) also needed charging every 2 or 3 weeks - maybe I press buttons more often than you!

You must have been... I can't see how I'd be able to run the batteries down on my Pronto that quick unless i was on maximum backlight and pressing buttons every few seconds...

clockworks

You must have been... I can't see how I'd be able to run the batteries down on my Pronto that quick unless i was on maximum backlight and pressing buttons every few seconds...

Mine was an 8mb colour model - probably uses a lot more power than the 940. I also used the RF option.

cerebros

Mine was an 8mb colour model - probably uses a lot more power than the 940. I also used the RF option.

Yes, colour would probably explain it

ripface

Hi,

Interesting to hear other peoples experiences with Harmony remotes. I've just purchased a Harmony 555 for £42 from Pixmania. It seems to work pretty well after a couple of hours on the horrendous web based interface.

Sheeesh!!

Can anyone help out with the following.

1. I input Satelitte, Pace for my SKY+ box, but although a lot of the buttons work as expected, the colour icons at the bottom do nuffinc, zippo, zilch. Is there a particular code I should be using for my Pace v2?

2. The backlight does not come on when I pick it up. Is there a seperate setting for that? I can only find settings for how long the backlight operates.

Ta! .. and Happy New Year to you all when it arrives.

Cheers,
Ripface.

m488dkw

Standard Member
To make the Sky colour buttons work, select "Watch Satellite" or what ever you have called this activity on the web based interface (from "Buttons and Menus" option on the User Options screen after you have logged in). You will then be presented with a screen showing all your components for this activity (eg TV and Sky Box) together with the buttons on your Harmony at the left of the screen. If you scroll down to find Red Green Yellow and Blue buttons you can use the drop downs against the Sky commands to select the Red Green Yellow and Blue commands against these buttons.

I don't know if you can turn the backlight on automatically, but you can always press the Glow button if required.

clockworks

If the colour buttons don't work, you've probably selected the code set for a normal satellite box. Since all Sky+ boxes use the same codes, it doesn't matter which model you choose, as long as it's for a Sky+ box.

The Harmony 5xx series doesn't have a tilt sensor, you have to press a button to get the backlight to come on.

cerebros

Hi,

The reason the colour buttons don't works is becuase for some reason the Sky+ profile you download from logitech assigns the functions to the buttons next to the screen - it seems to do that for a lot of things that should/could be assignd to the permanent buttons (for example, it assigns "Backup" to a key next to the screen when it should assign to the "Exit" hard button etc)

what you'll need to do is go back to the horrible web interface and customise the options for the activity and the device to assign the colour buttons to the colour buttons.

I have to say that I'm not overly impressed so far, especially as the Harmony also seems to randomly spew out additional codes that it shouldn't (for example, when doing my "Watch Sky+" activity, quite often it seems to send out the code to make my TV display its menu system, which it shouldnt need to do)

Kronenbourg

I got a 555 for Christmas. Overall I quite like it but it certainly hasnt been easy to set up. I have manually had to set loads of bits and pieces up and it is still really sluggish at controlling XBMC on my XBox. I am getting there now but there are times I find the wizards incredibly annoying - there should be a way of more directly editing the activities.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom