Harmony 555 set up question

abraxus

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Having set up and used a Harmony for myself and found it great, I decided to treat my parents to one but have a question about set up.

They have a Humax freeview box connected to the RGB scart, (av1) and dvd recorder to the other scart (av2). The freeview box is always left on. This means that when they switch the telly on it automatically switches itself to av1.

So, if I set the freeview box to AV1 in the "watch freeview" activity it turns on the tv but as the tv automatically goes to av1, the Harmony's attempt effectively ends up switching it to av2. I can kind of get round this by setting the freeview box to av3 in the Harmony set up as this just scrolls it back round to av1 and this works when switching the tv on from scratch. However if going from another activity to "watch freview", it gets out of synch again.

Because of this automatic flip to av1, the "watch tv" activity, where the tv is set to "antenna" also auto switches to av1, so it's a bit of a pain.

I guess for freeview I could set one activity for turning the tv on for freeview using the tv antenna setting and just letting the tv auto switch, however this would only work from off and not when switching between activities. So I'm thinking of doing that and setting another activity to "switch to freeview" for this where I would use the av1 input.

Ideally though I'd like to be able to stop the tv automatically switching to av1 when it's turned on so that the activities will work in the proper sequence for both turning on and switching.

Is this possible?

Try disabling "scart control", either in the TV or in each source component - there's nearly always an option to turn it off.
If there isn't an option, you can just snip the wire to pin 8 at one end of each scart lead.

Once you've stopped the TV from fighting the Harmony, it should be straight forward to set up the switching on the Harmony.

clockworks said:
Try disabling "scart control", either in the TV or in each source component - there's nearly always an option to turn it off.
If there isn't an option, you can just snip the wire to pin 8 at one end of each scart lead.

Once you've stopped the TV from fighting the Harmony, it should be straight forward to set up the switching on the Harmony.

Thanks clockworks, that sounds like it would do the trick. I'll check it out and see if that's an option next time I pop round there.

Cheers.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom