Harmony 555 + Panasonic AV1 Input

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by Achy, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Achy

Achy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I've only had the Harmony 555 for a week, needed a little tweaking to work 'exactly' how I wanted it to, but I think it's great.

The one thing I'd like to be able to do with it is select Discrete Inputs, don't get me wrong I haven't got a problem with the inputs, it works, but currently it has to automatically cycle through inputs to get to the right one... this seems slow and bit .... "meh" to me.

I've changed the way it selects inputs by using the IR commands for InputHdmi1 and InputHdmi2 and InputPC, which work great, for the Xbox and DVD player, but I have my SKy+ connected by SCART.

And there doesn't seem to be one for InputAV1.

My Panasonic is TH50PX70.

I'd settle for an InputHdmi1 followed by an InputPrevious as that would still be quicker than cycling but I dont seem to have InputNext, InputPrev commands like some other Tv's I've seen.

Anyone been able to find a similar model which includes the InputAV1 selector but also works for the other functions?

Ta.

2. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,654
    I dont have the PX70 , but do have the PZ80 and I found that using the code for the PZ800 did what you asked and worked fine for me.

So maybe if you try the code for the PZ700 ?

( in fact the actual code for the PZ80 did not work at all for me on the harmony one)

3. Achy

Achy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Nope, for the PZ700

Just got....

InputAntA
    InputAntB
    InputComponent1
    InputComponent2
    InputHdmi1
    InputHDMI2
    InputHDMI3
    InputPC
    InputSd
    InputTuner
    InputVideo1
    InputVideo2
    InputVideo3
    InputVideo4

Actually looking at the input commands for the PZ800 I didn't get any of these inputs listed... which one did you use ?

4. clockworks

clockworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    Have you actually tried the discrete codes in "device mode".

You should find that "InputVideo1" is the code for "AV1" - it is on my Panny.

Don't think that Pannys do "next" or "previous".

5. Achy

Achy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Yup.

These Work ok...
    InputHdmi1
    InputHDMI2
    InputPC

What is the exact model you've put into the Harmony system?

I've tried
    TH50PX70
    and
    TH50PX70E

6. clockworks

clockworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    TH46-PZ81B.

Have you tried "InputVideo1"?

7. Achy

Achy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Yup.

Nothing.

The only 3 that do anything are the ones above :(

8. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,778
    How do the original remotes make the input settings? Isn't there an equivalent for InputNext?

9. clockworks

clockworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297

On my Panasonic TH46-PZ81B (on-board Freesat HD, so a current model), you press the "AV" or "TV" buttons. This brings up a list of either the AV inputs or the aerial/dish inputs, with the currently selected input highlighted.
    You then use the "Up" or "Down" cursor keys to scroll to the required input, then press "OK".

So, to simulate InputNext, you need a sequence of AV Down OK, or TV Down OK. This makes it complicated, as the first button press in the sequence (AV or TV) depends on whether you are currently watching a TV or AV source.
    You'd need separate sequences depending on the current activity.

Fortunately the discrete inputs (except Input Component) all work for me. This doesn't seem to be the case for all models.

I guess if Logitech support can't help, the only option is to try all the available Panasonic code sets. There may be some earlier models that don't have discrete input codes in the firmware.

10. monksy74

monksy74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    Achy,

I have a PZ70. I've been looking for working discretes for AV1 and Component for ages now and have tried many different model numbers (PX/PZ 70/700/80/800 B/E) and haven't found them. I hadn't tried the 81 range, but it looks like you just have so I can rule them out.

I can only conclude that Panasonic didn't implement them in the 70 range.

InputNext can be simulated using the TvVideo command in the database - one press for the menu, further presses to cycle through, or as clockworks said using TvVideo to get the menu, then up or down to navigate the menu and select to choose the input.

Cycling using just TvVideo is slower as it waits to display the input each time you press it.

You can use fake discretes by adding additional commands to the activity start, but to get the inputs you want this can be 3 or 4 commands. Logiciel also recommends asking logitech support to create a single discrete sequence command (E.g. for Component it would be InputPC, TvVideo, Up, Select).

Personally I've stuck with cycling using method 3, with unused inputs disabled on the TV.

Details of exactly how I've set mine up here:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/remo...ny-555-panny-input-nightmare.html#post7160153

Phil

11. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,778
    Phil: The solution to combine two commands into one usually applies only when discrete codes are available for use in Method 2 and only one are two are missing or incorrect. Then the solution is to try out as Additional Commands When Activity Starts the nearest one in the list that works and an InputNext, and if that works to get Logi support to combine them into a new command which you can then apply in Method 2 - and finally remove the Additional Commands.