Harmony 555 Device order

abraxus

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to change the order in which devices are listed on the screen of a 555, and if so how?

Many thanks

No, but there is a solution. When the remote is setup properly you should pretty much never need to select an individual device anyway. You should always be in activity mode, so spend the time to set p your activities properly.

czzer said:
No, but there is a solution. When the remote is setup properly you should pretty much never need to select an individual device anyway. You should always be in activity mode, so spend the time to set p your activities properly.

Thanks, I have done that for myself, but this is a remote for my parents. As well as the TV, DVD, Freeview & VCR, I've also added their stereo and CD player that they don't use much so wanted to put them on the second page of devices and move the DVD player to the first just to make it a bit easier for them.

czzer said:

Sorry, taking this away a bit but...

I can never understand how people cope with just activities unless you are have only basic device use. I'd have to create loads or so ever so slightly different activities if I did that, which is double my devices. This is one reason why I prefer a device based remote (with combined layout buttons to reduce swapping to a min).

The inabilty to change the order of or delete the myriad of unwanted entries on the LCD screen (on a Hamrony 525 I tried) was one of the things that went down as a -ve for me.

KingKrell said:
Sorry, taking this away a bit but...

I can never understand how people cope with just activities unless you are have only basic device use. I'd have to create loads or so ever so slightly different activities if I did that, which is double my devices. This is one reason why I prefer a device based remote (with combined layout buttons to reduce swapping to a min).

The inabilty to change the order of or delete the myriad of unwanted entries on the LCD screen (on a Hamrony 525 I tried) was one of the things that went down as a -ve for me.

Fair point if that suits your usage, but for me, and my parents too, 99% of the usage is activity based. I have a TV Drive, TV, Xbox 360. DVD Player and VCR and in the couple of months I've had the Harmony, have never used it in device mode.

I have all my stuff set up how I want it and only need to watch tv (via tv drive), watch dvd or play Xbox 360. Using activities allows me to do each of these things with one button press and then gives me control of the relevant bits of kit that are currently in use (eg TV and TV Drive) on one remote without having to switch devices.

The device mode to me is a "nice to have" that allows me to fiddle around on the 1% of the time I feel the need to. A device rather than an activity based remote would, for my usage, be a pain in the arse.

In this instance therefore I just wanted to change the order of devices for those odd occasions as an extra convenience.

After using an activity based remote, I could never go back to device based...just too cumbersome to use.

There will always be times when you need to use device mode, but for me these are very few and far between(and I have a quite complex setup with a projector and CRT TV), and the advantages of activity mode far outweigh the extra button press or 2 required to select a device which happens to be on page 2.

Also, you can reorder and delete unwanted commands from device mode. Just delete the label and the command is gone! The only thing you can't do is change the order devices are displayed in when first selecting them.

czzer said:
After using an activity based remote, I could never go back to device based...just too cumbersome to use.

There will always be times when you need to use device mode, but for me these are very few and far between(and I have a quite complex setup with a projector and CRT TV), and the advantages of activity mode far outweigh the extra button press or 2 required to select a device which happens to be on page 2.

Also, you can reorder and delete unwanted commands from device mode. Just delete the label and the command is gone! The only thing you can't do is change the order devices are displayed in when first selecting them.

Thanks czzer.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom