Harmony 525 or 555

jwindley

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at buying a remote to control all my devices, especially now I'm using my PC as a media center.

I was looking at the lower end Logitech models, and I've seen the 525 and 555 for £50 and £60. What's the difference between the 2? Is it worth paying the extra £10 for the 555? I'm assuming higher number means better or newer model?

Thanks!

I'm looking at buying a remote to control all my devices, especially now I'm using my PC as a media center.

I was looking at the lower end Logitech models, and I've seen the 525 and 555 for £50 and £60. What's the difference between the 2? Is it worth paying the extra £10 for the 555? I'm assuming higher number means better or newer model?

Thanks!

I'm sure the 555 replaced the 525?? Either way the 555 has a couple of extra buttons & a orange backlit display instead of blue.

I just bought a 885 when it was on offer for £82 at pixmania, its truely amazing.

Thanks!

I went for the 555 I think it would be easier to see the screen with an orange light over blue, I AM MORE THAN HAPPY WITH IT :thumbsup: it does more than I expected it to do.

this might be a bit late for you mate but pixmania have the 555 up for £42 (plus £5 delivery) right now.

AB.

this might be a bit late for you mate but pixmania have the 555 up for £42 (plus £5 delivery) right now.

AB.

LOL, typical!

Oh well, thanks for the info anyway. My new remote is due for delivery today, so I'm looking forward to setting it up this evening.

I've got the basic stuff all set up on the remote now, but there's one thing I need to do to make it perfect:

With the basic remotes , either sky+ or TV, my wife can turn the TV on and watch BBC1 by hitting one button (which is about right for first thing in the morning!).

With the harmony 555, she has to:
turn the remote on;
select activities;
select "watch TV";

Is there a way to allow her to watch TV with less button presses?

I've got the basic stuff all set up on the remote now, but there's one thing I need to do to make it perfect:

With the basic remotes , either sky+ or TV, my wife can turn the TV on and watch BBC1 by hitting one button (which is about right for first thing in the morning!).

With the harmony 555, she has to:
turn the remote on;
select activities;
select "watch TV";

Is there a way to allow her to watch TV with less button presses?

Well, you don't have to turn the remote on, you have added an extra step that isn't there.

Two steps too many surely - just select "watch TV" from activities screen - great device by the way!

Press Activities
Press Watch TV

So 1 step too many.

Press Activities
Press Watch TV

So 1 step too many.

What screen is the remote on when you pick it up? Assuming the last thing you did was press the 'off' button whilst in an activity, the remote should be showing the activities screen already when you pick it up.

The remote is usually on Watch TV, or whatever the last activity was.

I'm not sure I understand :confused: How did you turn off the TV the previous time? If you used the Harmony remote you should be back at the Activities list.

The first step of the day says " Ensure all of your devices are off..etc" so it's still two steps.

The first step of the day says " Ensure all of your devices are off..etc" so it's still two steps.

At the risk of labouring the point, I'm afraid I still don't understand :confused:

I've only recently bought my 555, but this is what seems to happen for me. I'm watching TV (in the Watch TV activity) and decide to turn in for the night, so I press the power button to switch off. Everything turns off and the remote returns to the Activities screen.

Next morning I pick up the remote (which is still on the Activities screen) and press the 'Watch TV' item. One button press and everything is switched on again.

What else do you have to do?

At the risk of labouring the point, I'm afraid I still don't understand :confused:

I've only recently bought my 555, but this is what seems to happen for me. I'm watching TV (in the Watch TV activity) and decide to turn in for the night, so I press the power button to switch off. Everything turns off and the remote returns to the Activities screen.

Next morning I pick up the remote (which is still on the Activities screen) and press the 'Watch TV' item. One button press and everything is switched on again.

What else do you have to do?

Sorry, I thought that the 555 was the same as the 525, but the 525 does not go back to activities. It goes to a message.

Sorry, I thought that the 555 was the same as the 525, but the 525 does not go back to activities. It goes to a message.

I wonder if that's related to the 'Remote Assistant' that I turned off under Remote Settings - Remote Assistant. I seem to recall that was pretty intrusive, so I turned it off immediately. It might be worth a look...

I wonder if that's related to the 'Remote Assistant' that I turned off under Remote Settings - Remote Assistant. I seem to recall that was pretty intrusive, so I turned it off immediately. It might be worth a look...

Ah, I see. Good to know I can get rid of it then. Ok so down to 1 click now.

EDIT: However, it still ends up on the last activity clicked, so my remote is now on WATCH TV, so back to 2 clicks again.

Ah, I see. Good to know I can get rid of it then. Ok so down to 1 click now.

EDIT: However, it still ends up on the last activity clicked, so my remote is now on WATCH TV, so back to 2 clicks again.

That's weird! If it leaves you in the 'Watch TV' activity after everything is switched off, how do you turn it all on again?

That's weird! If it leaves you in the 'Watch TV' activity after everything is switched off, how do you turn it all on again?

No, it leaves me in Watch Tv after I click Watch Tv. So apart from the first time you ever use the remote you are alway in a 2 click situation. Like from Watch TV to Play DVD ....2 clicks.. play Blu Ray... 2 clicks.. play Tuner..2 clicks.. back to Watch TV 2 clicks. I understand that first thing in the morning it is 1 click, but really, it doesn't apply to the other 99% of the day.

That makes more sense :) I thought we were still talking about the 'first thing in the morning' situation.

Ok,

I think I've got that bit sorted now. I've turned off the "assistant" and now first thing in the morning, the remote is on "Activities" so it's a one button press!

Now for my next question: Is there any way of changing the contrast on the LCD? The text is rather dim on my remote.

Ok,

I think I've got that bit sorted now. I've turned off the "assistant" and now first thing in the morning, the remote is on "Activities" so it's a one button press!

I rest my case!

Now for my next question: Is there any way of changing the contrast on the LCD? The text is rather dim on my remote.

Don't think so - the contrast on mine is more that adequate - are the batteries OK!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom