• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Harmony 525 or 555 as warranty replacement

EddyHorn

I have an older Harmony remote that is no longer available which has developed a fault. It is still under warranty and Logitech have offered me the choice of a 525 or 555 as a replacement. The only real difference I can see is that the 555 has a sound and picture button that the 525 does not. Is there any reason to choose the 525 over the 555? Any advice would be appreciated.

logiciel

That and the colour of the screen are the only differences.

monksy74

The 555 also has a rubber back (rather than the plastic back) which gives it a slightly better feel.

If you don't want the sound and picture functionality either go with personal taste - do you prefer the blue or orange? or go with the fact that the 555 is more expensive.

Phil

nobby1963

Hi Eddy,

I was in the situation as you...I think.

I had the Harmony 688 and the volume control stopped working, it was only 4 months ish old.

Harmony offered me the same replacement options. I chose the 555 as it looked better to me - personal opinion and I must confess the fact that it was a more expensive model made me think it may be `better`.

Having had it for a month or so I am very happy & find it much more user friendly than the old 688.

I am sure you will be happy with whatever option you choose.

EddyHorn

Yes, faulty buttons on a 688, I've gone for the 555. Do you remember how long the replacement took to be delivered and did you have to return the faulty 555 first?

nobby1963

I expected them to want the old 688 back but they did not ! - not that it was any good anyway.

I think it was 2 weeks ( 5-10 business days ) for the new 555 to turn up but to be fair it was coming from Canada or Holland - I cant remember for sure. It was sent by UPS I think.

EddyHorn

Did they ask for an address or just send it to the one you registered with? I'd like to get it sent to my work especially if it's UPS as the depot is nowhere near me.

nobby1963

Hi Eddy,

I am sure that they asked where to send it.....but check that its still UPS as I`d hate for you to get yours via another carrier that turns out to be closer to your house !

monksy74

Yes, faulty buttons on a 688, I've gone for the 555. Do you remember how long the replacement took to be delivered and did you have to return the faulty 555 first?

I've had replacements for a 555 and a One in the past (both with a faulty button).

Both times they blocked the remote from any further updates and sent the replacement. Once the replacement was received they asked for the battery cover of the 555 and the battery and charger lead of the One to be sent back to Holland.

I carried on using the remotes until I got the replacements.

The 555 took about 2 weeks to turn up but I think there was an admin error sending it as I had to query where it was. With the One I received the replacement within a week of reporting the problem.

Can't fault their customer service.

Phil

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom