Harmony 525 limitations. PS3 and Xbox?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by lostbok, Sep 17, 2007.

1. lostbok

lostbok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I got the Hormony (525) to control the essentials almost immediately:

Philips 32PFL9632 - 100%
    Sony STR-DG700 - slight tweak needed to get it to power off. now seem 100%
    V+ - although I'm not sure the red button is working properly?!? (is there a known error there?)

But having zero luck with my xbox1 and the PS3.

xbox1
    The xbox reciever and remote are v old and pretty worn... so I think they may be at fault. Is it worth swapping it over with the working one in the other room or is this a lost cause? I'm pretty sure it's all IR - I think I got the Harmony to learn all the button EVENTUALLY!

ps3
    Is all PS3 stuff wi-fi or is there an IR option? Is it jsut a setting on the console somewhere?

2. lostbok

lostbok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    actually not sure if the red button on the remote isn't just faulty... I think I've trained it... but when I press it, the IR relay isn't doing anything... (and I HAVE tried it directly too)

still stumped wrt to the PS£ and the xbox

3. spiderbundy

spiderbundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    PS3 works by bluetooth as far as i know...not IR.

4. shawnf

shawnf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    The PS3 is bluetooth only, so no IR remote will work on its own.

I got the PS3 Logic3 Blu-Ray DVD Remote, as it includes an IR dongle.

It should be in the Harmony Database, as I am using it on my 885.

It allows you to control most of the functions like direction and playback. Not perfect, as you can't turn the PS3 on or off and the direction controls are a bit sluggish, but a pretty good compromise for £10 :)

Of course I have the PS3 bluetooth remote as well, but it is in a drawer and the Harmony is the only remote that I use day to day.

I can't comment on the Xbox, but my 885 controls my 360 really well.

I can definitely say I am a Harmony fan and have recommended it to all my friends :thumbsup:

5. lostbok

lostbok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    thanks guys,

PS3 being BlueTooth only makes sense... I'll keep an eye out for a cheap IR dongle.... not much of an issue: DVD movies are better when upscaled from my old DVDRW than if I get the PS3 to do the upscaling... and I don't have enough BlueRay discs to get excited about.

xbox is my main media centre (720p out, 300Gb hdd, etc), so would be very nice to get that working... I'll go and try the other IR reciever (I think it's a Logic3 controller, rather than the Microsoft one).

Also makes sense that an XBOX360 handles IR input better.... but then if I'm using it mostly as a big media juke-box, it's not much of an upgrade for me - smaller HDD and less media playback compatibility, plus I'd have to buy the hardware.

tbh: the PS3 and xbox are better with the bluetooth / RF controllers anyway, so it's not too much hassle... all I need now is a multi-use gamepad that works on PS3, xbox (and xbox 360 for when I take the leap there).... and Wii.... 'cos I reckon the missus is gonna go and buy one of those too... "'cos they're cute"...

would be nice to sort out the V+ red button issue though.

6. lostbok

lostbok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29