• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Harmony 525 good or bad buy?

Studulike

Standard Member
Hello,
I am new to this forum but wondered if I made a wise choice?
I bought a Harmony 525 as couldn't find anything else to control my Philips Home Theatre sytem, even there own universal remotes wouldn't do it without long winded learning. It seems to work ok with that.
I am at a loss though as to why they seem to add some devices to the database that don't control properly and stae that it is fully compatible (See request for help on Wharfedale DVDRHD400).

I must say I do like the ease of setup although would be good to have some manual input usage and the option to change whe way devices function, for instance to be able to set all devices to use the volume on my home theartre rather than have to keep changing the device over to the sound system on remote. For instance when I am on TV device or Cable device or XBox360, when I select volume up or down for Philips sound system to turn up or down. Other remotes I have tried allow that to be done even if involves rather a lot of fiddling about.
I bought this item because of its price, I paid £39 from Comet, I thought that quite fair even though could have got from Ebay for about £20 but such is life. lol

Anyway look forward to your response.

Regards...

logiciel

It sounds like you're only about a third of the way through setting it up, and using it the way it's meant to be used - and that you pay extra for!
You only mention devices, but Harmonys are all about combining the devices into Activities.
Set up a WatchTV Activity for each source and a PlayGame Activity - choosing the option to do that manually, not automatically.
Each time you will be asked which device is to control the volume - make your choice!

Studulike

Standard Member
It sounds like you're only about a third of the way through setting it up, and using it the way it's meant to be used - and that you pay extra for!
You only mention devices, but Harmonys are all about combining the devices into Activities.
Set up a WatchTV Activity for each source and a PlayGame Activity - choosing the option to do that manually, not automatically.
Each time you will be asked which device is to control the volume - make your choice!

Oh right, I have messed around a little with manual updating but setup devices automatically. Maybe I should go back then and setup manually. Do like what I am seeing so far though.
So you would say on the whole then a good choice even if it is one of the cheapest versions of the Harmony?

clockworks

Prominent Member
Oh right, I have messed around a little with manual updating but setup devices automatically. Maybe I should go back then and setup manually. Do like what I am seeing so far though.
So you would say on the whole then a good choice even if it is one of the cheapest versions of the Harmony?

All Harmony remotes work the same way. The more you spend, the more features (extra soft buttons, better screens, better build quality) you get, but the basic functionality is the same.

If you like the feel of the 525, stick with it.

Oily

Novice Member
If you don't get your set up just right then just ring their customer support,they are excellent in sorting out any problems you have.
When i had my 525 they spent around 2hrs on the phone(from Canada) sorting out the problems i had

logiciel

I have messed around a little with manual updating but setup devices automatically. Maybe I should go back then and setup manually.
Devices DO set up manually - they're fine as they are - this is all about setting up Activities.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom