Harmony 515 'sequences' settings

AV Happy

Hi, I've just got a 515 and really impressed with it :thumbsup:
I've set up some sequences for additional buttons within 'Activities' but i cant seem to set them for additional buttons in 'Devices'
Example if i'm using the remote for sky HD, i would like to set one of the additional buttons to go straight to the HD tv guide with one button press and another to switch to other channels for itv HD also with one button press.
I have done this via additional buttons in activities but dont get the option in devices. am i missing something or is it not possible??

cheers
J

monksy74

Hi, I've just got a 515 and really impressed with it :thumbsup:
I've set up some sequences for additional buttons within 'Activities' but i cant seem to set them for additional buttons in 'Devices'
Example if i'm using the remote for sky HD, i would like to set one of the additional buttons to go straight to the HD tv guide with one button press and another to switch to other channels for itv HD also with one button press.
I have done this via additional buttons in activities but dont get the option in devices. am i missing something or is it not possible??

cheers
J

you can't assign sequences to buttons in device mode. Why do you need to go into devices in your watch sky activity?

When setup correctly you shouldn't need to go into device mode for anything other than rare tweaks. If there is a command you use a lot that isn't mapped to a button in the activity, then map it to a button in the activity.

Your Watch Sky HD activity (setup as a watch tv activity) should include the tv and sky device (and amp if the sound is going through one) and then have the buttons mapped appropriately - number buttons, play,pause,record etc mapped to the sky device commands. Vol up/down, mute mapped to the tv or amp etc

The sequence for HD channels can be setup as guide, 2, Select

Last edited:

logiciel

I have done this via additional buttons in activities but dont get the option in devices. Am i missing something or is it not possible??
All controlling is done in Activities, so they're the only place where Sequences would be any use. "Devices" isn't something to use for controlling, it's for storing commands, and very occasionally for testing them.
Monsky has said it all, about the way to set up your Activities so that you don't need anything else. The fixed Tips thread has many sequences like yours, so if yours are new please do post them in there too.

Boris360

How do I get my 515 to show my recorded programmes menu on my Humax 9200T? There aren't enough buttons on the Harmony. Is this what you're talking about when you mention 'sequences'? Also, When I watch TV through my Humax and I press 'menu' it goes to the humax menu. Will I have to use my original TV remote to access the TV menu to adjust things like colour gamma etc?

logiciel

You do these things by taking the third of the three main options in the software for Activities, which is Customise Buttons.
You can change the commands that are on hard buttons, or add new virtual buttons to the screen, but either way there are always enough buttons on a Harmony to cover all the devices in an Activity, and more.

Boris360

I'm trying to work what a sequence is and how to use it! I'm assuming that I can use this to toggle between my Humax menu and my TV menu.
I went to 'customize buttons' like you said and choose 'add sequence'. Then I had a blank box with 'sequence' written above it plus the 'device' and 'command' columns.

I'm assuming that the blank box is there so that I can give the sequence a name so I called it 'menu toggle' Then in the 'devices' column, I selected TV and PVR I then selected 'menu' in the command column.

It didn't work, probably because it's completely wrong but there are no instructions with the remote and the 'tips' in the software are confusing.

Can you tell me where I can find a decent explanation of what sequences are and how to enable them? Is it even a 'sequence' that I need?

Cheers

Last edited:

logiciel

The first answer is that it depends on what you mean by "Humax menu" and "TV menu"!
That would literallly mean you want to see a menu for the Humax appear on the TV screen, and then a menu for the TV, but I'm guessing that's not what you want!
A Sequence is a number of commands, selected from any of the devices within an activity, which you customise to a button for them to be sent in sequence by one press of that button.
If you selected Humax Device with Menu Command and TV Device with Menu Command then you would get two menus appearing on the screen at the same time, and I'm guessing again that you do not want that!
There's a sneaking suspicion that you're not used to the idea of Activities yet.
Let us know what you really want and we'll let you know how to do it.:)

Boris360

I understand the activities thing (I think). Whilst I'm in the 'Watch TV' activity (which goes through the Humax PVR), if I press the menu button, I get the Humax main preferences menu. What I'm trying to do is create an easy and quick way to access the TV menu (picture settings) so I can adjust the colour etc whilst in that activity. All of the harmony buttons are in use because there are more buttons on the Humax remote than the harmony. So what I was trying to do was create a situation where if I press menu once (whilst in 'watch TV'), the humax menu would appear, if I pressed it again, the TV menu would appear. I thought that's what a sequence was for. Maybe not.

I understand what you mean when you say I would get both menus appearing but actually, nothing happened at all in my case. What I've ended up doing now is just pressing the devices button, switching to TV, then pressing the menu button to access the TV menu which is actually more of a pain than reaching under the sofa and just using the old remote! :(

I'd already read that the sequences enables you to assign one button to send a series of commands but I still don't get what that means in practical terms. Do you have a simple example of what you might use a sequence for?

Last edited:

monksy74

I understand the activities thing (I think). Whilst I'm in the 'Watch TV' activity (which goes through the Humax PVR), if I press the menu button, I get the Humax main preferences menu. What I'm trying to do is create an easy and quick way to access the TV menu (picture settings) so I can adjust the colour etc whilst in that activity. All of the harmony buttons are in use because there are more buttons on the Humax remote than the harmony. So what I was trying to do was create a situation where if I press menu once (whilst in 'watch TV'), the humax menu would appear, if I pressed it again, the TV menu would appear. I thought that's what a sequence was for. Maybe not.

I understand what you mean when you say I would get both menus appearing but actually, nothing happened at all in my case. What I've ended up doing now is just pressing the devices button, switching to TV, then pressing the menu button to access the TV menu which is actually more of a pain than reaching under the sofa and just using the old remote! :(

I'd already read that the sequences enables you to assign one button to send a series of commands but I still don't get what that means in practical terms. Do you have a simple example of what you might use a sequence for?

I have a number of sequences setup for sky. To get to the list of recordings you need to press guide then green then ok. I have a sequence setup to send these 3 commands and I've assigned it to the menu button. Just pressing menu once goes straight to the list of recordings.

Another example is that a 4 digit pin is required to watch 15 or 18 rated films pre-watershed. I have a sequence setup to send the 4 pin digits assigned to the # key.

Sequences aren't really appropriate for what you want to do. If you want to go into the tv menu and tweak the settings then you need the direction keys mapped to control the tv as well as the menu button.

What you're doing is probably the best way - go to devices, choose the tv and then the buttons would be mapped to control the tv. Pressing the activities button twice when you're done will return you to the activity you were on.

The Harmony 555 is specifically designed for this kind of thing as it has sound and picture buttons that change the commands that the buttons are mapped to in each activity allowing you to press the picture button, control the tv and then press the sound button again to go back to the standard activity mappings... But that's not much use when you have a 515

Boris360

The Harmony 555 is specifically designed for this kind of thing as it has sound and picture buttons that change the commands that the buttons are mapped to in each activity allowing you to press the picture button, control the tv and then press the sound button again to go back to the standard activity mappings... But that's not much use when you have a 515

Actually, it is useful! I need two more remotes for other rooms in the house so I can use the 515 in a room that doesn't need this function and get an upgrade for the lounge. and thanks for the sequences info, it's perfectly clear now. :smashin:

I'll have a good play with the settings and stuff before I bore anybody with more Duncey questions. ;)

logiciel

All I need to add to monksy is that the commands in a sequence don't all have to be from the same device, and that an Activity set to "leave unused devices on" and including only the TV would be marginally more efficient than using the device storage area for controlling.

Chilly Willy

A Sequence is a number of commands, selected from any of the devices within an activity, which you customise to a button for them to be sent in sequence by one press of that button.
If you selected Humax Device with Menu Command and TV

Sorry for hijacking this thread I was wondering could I get the 515 to 'learn' a sequence of commands from within an activity using my old remote ie with my virginmedia box programming the key button presses required to bring up my recorded tv programs.

logiciel

That's OK and your requirement is exactly the sort of thing that Harmony Sequences are meant to do.
The option to set them up is usually on the Customise Buttons page of the software.
Let us know if you have nay problems with them.
All the commands for your device should already be available so that the original remote would not be needed.
The fixed Tips thread includes several examples for using them with satellite and cable receivers.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom