• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Harmony 1000 with HTPC

jamphat

Standard Member
ive been googling extensively for the last 30 minutes and cant find any site or old forum discussion that has lead me to an IR receiver that would work. im sure it has been discussed before, but i feel like ive done my due diligence to find the answer and its time to ask an open question, so...

what is the reccomended ir receiver & driver to be able to control an htpc from a harmony 1000? i have the rf extender, in case that fact should influence my purchase...

logiciel

The Harmony RF/IR extender doesn't come into it, but a search for IR Dongle should find what you want.

lcmarti1

Standard Member
I've been looking for the same thing. I have the Harmony 1000 with the wireless extender, and I will soon have a HTPC with Windows 7 I'd like to control with it. It seems like the most common way of doing this is to purchase a Vista/Win7 MCE remote just to use the IR receiver. This is essentially what I've done with my PS3. I haven't seen any recommendation as to which ones work the best and offer the most control. Are they all basically the same?

Also, I'm a little confused on the need to run the EventGhost software. I'm assuming that if you take the route I described above, it wouldn't be necessary. However, it did make me think that there might be a way to connect the wireless extender directly to my HTPC using some sort of USB to DB9 to Mini-Plug cable. Unfortunately, that looks cost prohibitive and unnecessarily complicated.

Anyway, any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom