Harmony 1000 & Power Off plugs

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by TKDNick, Feb 5, 2009.

1. TKDNick

TKDNick
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

FIrsly want to apologise if this has indeed been asked before but I couldn't see it in the 73 page discussion thread for the harmony 1000.

But...

I'm looking at getting a harmony 1000 and I want to get some of those remote power off type plugs. I think some of them are called bye bye stand by or summot.

Well...

What I want to know is which ones will work with the harmony 1000.

I want to get RF remote standby plug things, as there will be no line of sight.

I understand that the harmony 1000 will do RF but will not learn rf - therefore I don't want to find I have purchased ones that will not work.

Can anybody tell me which standby plugs work fine with rf and the harmony 1000??

Thanks and regs,

2. clockworks

clockworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    Harmony RF won't work with a normal RF standby saver socket. I think I've read that it might work with one of the more expensive Z-Wave or X10 RF switches, but can't be sure.

The IR ones will work fine. If you haven't got line of sight, you could add an IR extender - stick the emitter to the socket, and put the receiver near your TV.
    I might be making this up, but I think I've seen an IR socket with a remote receiver?

I prefer to turn everything off at the wall, for safety.

3. Big_Si_Owen

Big_Si_Owen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    Would something like this do the trick?

Home

I have one and you choose a 'master' piece of equipment and when that's turned off it detects the drop in power being used and turns all the rest of the stuff plugged into it off.

The plug socket has a separate remote (cabled) IR receiver. To turn it back on rather than it having a specific IR frequency that the remote would have to learn, you program the sensor to recognise the IR signal for turning on the 'master' component and it will turn everything else on.

Not sure if that helps?

4. clockworks

clockworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    Looks perfect - I wasn't dreaming about the remote sensor.

5. ExSlacker

ExSlacker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I had one of those but found it didn't work with my plasma panel. The problem came from the load dropping during dark scenes. If it stayed dark for long enough, everything turned off thinking that the screen had gone in to standby. None of the other components which I wanted to put on the connector have sufficient, constant load when on so I ended up giving it away. Now I'm using some rf plugs and a horrible little remote :rolleyes:

6. Big_Si_Owen

Big_Si_Owen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    That's a shame. Didn't know that would happen. We've got ours set up with the AV receiver (since we moved house and only have a projector now instead of the CRT TV that we had it set up on without issues too) as the master and haven't had it turn off unexpected.

7. TKDNick

TKDNick
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for suggestions!

Thing is for me is that I want to be able to turn on and off several devices at once...

What I mean is, in one corner of the room I have ps3 going into home plug for lan and in the other corner there is the other home plug.

I was thinking of being able to setup an activity that turned on the ps3 and both of the home plugs - my thought was to have a power off plug thing on the multisocket that has the ps3 and home plug - and then also have a power off plug thing in the other corner to turn off and on the other home plug?

Hence the real need for rf?

I may be wanting to do something that is not possible?

But right now is a pain in the ar4e turning everything off at all of the different sockets - and either I or the gf will forget one or the other...

Ta!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  8. Brivs Mekis

Brivs Mekis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10