• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Harmony 1000 - no device to change channels????

Ari

Standard Member
Ok, need help badly, I'm totally confused!

I've just got a Harmony 1000 and am setting it up. I've added the TV, DVD surround sound, and PS3, all great.

Then it's asked me to set up activities. I've set up "watch a DVD, all fine. Press the activity, DVD player springs into life, TV comes on, correct input, all the controls work fine.

But when I come to set up "watch TV" it tells me I have no device to change channels. Well I use the TV to change channels, it's sort of what it does!!

I'm really utterly confused by this, utterly stumped. Can anyone help?

logiciel

You get two options - set up the Activity automatically or manually- if you didn't chose the second that might explain it.

Ari

Standard Member
Spot on, thank you.

Now I'm finding that when I switch from "watch DVD" to "Watch TV" (the only activities I have in so far) the AV choice scrolls to the wrong input every time. Each time I correct it using the help menu, and each time I switch between activities it does it again.

Honerstly, I can feel my life dripping away whilst I attempt to set up this bloody thing, I'm so close to just hurling it in the bin I can't tell you...!! :mad:

Ari

Standard Member
Nope, just tried again, always ends up one AV choice short, be it going to TV or going from TV to DVD (which requires AV2).

I give up, I've already spent the whole morning so far on this, life is just too short.:suicide:

What a :censored: waste of time.

RorschachUK

Standard Member
If it's stopping one short, perhaps your TV works like my Sagem: on my native remote, I press AV to cycle between different devices - but, the first button push just displays a confirmation of which one you're currently on, so that actually to move on to the next AV device takes two pushes of the button, or to move two devices along takes three button pushes etc - the "default" harmony setup was having trouble landing on the right one like you describe, I sorted it out by finding in the Harmony setup a mode for switching AV devices which supported a "pre" and "post" button push, intended for devices which might go into a menu page for instance. I set the "pre" and the "cycle" buttons as my AV change button and the "post" button to nothing, and this works fine.

Whilst these things can be fiddly to set up perfectly, they're just fantastic once you've got it right.

Ari

Standard Member
Just tried it with the native remote and you're absolutely right!! :smashin:

That makes perfect sense, nice one!

You'd have thought that Harmony would be up on this sort of thing though and have it as a potential issue in the help menu "does your TV require an initial press just to bring up the menu first" type of thing.

I do agree that the concept of the thing is brilliant and I'm really keen to have it all up and running, but this set up business is driving me insane.

is there any chance of an "idiots guide" to getting an extra button push into this sequence so it'll work properly?

logiciel

Ari - It looks as though you've missed the choice of four Methods that the Harmonys give you for setting the way that TVs handle inputs.
Harmony IS "up on this sort of thing"
The way that your TV works is covered by one of them, as Rorschach explains.
However, there could be an even better solution.
Tell us the make and model number of the TV and we'll tell you if it's available to you.

clockworks

I'm sure that TV is listed - I've got the same model, and don't remember having any problems setting it up with a 1000.

It managed to find discrete codes for all the "AV" inputs, except component. Component is listed, but it didn't work for me.

It's listed in my Harmony config as "TH-46PZ81B", using "method 2" to select the inputs. Switches fine between "TV" and any of the discrete AV inputs.

The only problem comes if you need to switch between the different "TV" inputs (antenna, Freesat and Freeview), as there aren't any discrete codes for these. Telling the software to use the "TV" input takes you back to the last "TV" input that was used.

If you need to switch between the different "TV" inputs, create a sequence and add a button. I used this sequence - TV, Down, OK. This will cycle to the next "TV" input.

Ari

Standard Member
Thank you. I had no problem finding it listed and entering it, but it seemed to set everything up automatically, maybe that's where I went wrong?

I'm really not good with this sort of stuff, I generally leave things to automatic and let them sort themselves out but clearly that's not worked here.

What do I need to do, re-install it? And what do I need to do differently?

Bear in mind you're talking to an idiot!! :D

clockworks

Thank you. I had no problem finding it listed and entering it, but it seemed to set everything up automatically, maybe that's where I went wrong?

I'm really not good with this sort of stuff, I generally leave things to automatic and let them sort themselves out but clearly that's not worked here.

What do I need to do, re-install it? And what do I need to do differently?

Bear in mind you're talking to an idiot!! :D

Check your TV device settings first:

From the first page, click the "devices" tab, then click the "settings" button in the TV device. Click "adjust inputs", then next.
Click "method 2", then next. Should show all the inputs. Keep clicking next, then "done", then "done" again.

You should now be back at the main page.
Click "activities". Click "settings" on the activity that you need to adjust.
Click "review settings for this activity", then next.

Have a look at how everything is set. If it's wrong, click "no, I want to run the setup wizard"

Answer all the questions, clicking next after you've chosen an option. Click done and done. You'll be back at the main page.

Change any other activities that are wrong.

Once you've finished, download the new config to the remote.

logiciel

It's a Panasonic TH-46PZ 81B
Greatly appreciate any advice.
OK Ari. What clockworks has explained is my "even better solution" - follow the instructions and it should work perfectly.
The only problem, as clockworks says, may be "different "TV" inputs", which is a common problem, usually solved by the button to resolve it manually.

Last edited:

logiciel

Cheers - yes, do get back.:)

Ari

Standard Member
Just going through it now and I definitely had it on "Method One" before, which is clearly wrong, this seems much better.

Only thing is it asks me what the setting is for various AV equipment and it's all on the AV button so I've set it to AV on all of them but I'm not sure how it will distinguish different items in the AV menu.

Anyway, let me try this first...

Ari

Standard Member
Guys, you're bloody geniuses!!! :smashin::smashin::smashin::smashin:

Just tried it and it went to TV fine. Went to "watch DVD" in activities and it initially went to the wrong AV channel. So I reset that and it went back to TV perfectly and then back to DVD perfectly!! :clap:

I can't tell you how grateful I am and how happy that's made me after all the swearing and frustration of the other morning.

I'll try setting up the PS3 and VCR tomorrow, for now I'm quitting whilst I'm ahead and going to bed a happy chappy! :D

Thank you both once again, that's just superb!!! :thumbsup:

logiciel

Elementary, my dear Ari!
Bring us any other questions that may arise - and I'll probably pass them on to clockworks.:D

clockworks

Happy to help :thumbsup:

Ari

Standard Member
Ok guys, there's just one area that I am really struggling with. And that's making it chose the right AV type.

Tonight I added the Playstation 3 into "Activities" and all went fine, it's switching the surround sound to "aux" as i want, and switching the TV to AV, but it won't select HDMI1.

Now if I "learn" it HDMI1 through the help menu then it works fine switching between that and TV and back again. But if I then switch to "watch a DVD" (which is via my Panasonic surround sound) it does all the right things, but switches to AV but back to the HDMI1 setting, not AV2.

So in a nutshell, whatever the AV setting was when last used, that's what it goes back to, be it HDMI1 if the PS3 was last used and I try "Watch DVD", or AV2 if I'd last watched a DVD but want it to go to "Playstation 3" mode.

Any suggestions as to how I can change this so it selects the correct AV mode for the equipment in operation??

Many thanks in advance as ever. I'm so close to having this right.

logiciel

The Help button doesn't "learn" anything - it just puts things right temporarily.
Tell us the make and model number of the TV, and the names of the inputs that you need, and we'll have another shot at getting it right for you.

Ari

Standard Member
TV is a Panasonic TH-46PZ 81B.

I have a Playstation on HDMI1, and a Panasonic Surround sound on AV2.

I use the surround sound for a speaker system at the moment for the PS3 and for TV speakers. I also use it for watching DVD's as it has surround sound obviously. When my ONKYO amp/speaker package arrives it will be pensioned off and the PS3 will be the DVD player.

And as I say, if I access "Games console" or "Watch a DVD" the TV switches to "AV" but always selects the last used AV function, it can't differentiate between the PS3's need to be on HDMI1 and the Surround sounds need to be on AV2.

Greatly appreciate all your help with this.

logiciel

That's OK Ari.
The Harmony database includes separate input commands for HDMI1,2,3, Video1,2,3, PC, and AV. I recommend testing each of them from the Devices area of your 1000 and then, if they work, setting those you require by using Method 2 of setting inputs - unless you've done or are doing all that already!
Logi

Ari

Standard Member
The problem is that Method 2 doesn't allow you to specify different areas within the "AV button". It only allows you to tell it to select "AV".

So consequently it reverts to whatever the last thing was used on AV, and if it's a different function then I have to go into "devices", into "TV", into the menu, scroll through till I find "AV", press that and then scroll though that till it lands on AV2 (if I'm watching a DVD) or HDMI (if I want to play with the playstation).

Last edited:

Ari

Standard Member
Just to clarify, in "Method 2" it asks "select the buttons you press to go to each input".

Then it lists drop down menus for AV1, AV2, AV3, HDMI1, HDMI2 etc.

In each of those drop down menus is

none
Aspect
AV
Blue
Channel Down
Channel Up
Direction left
Direction Right
Exit
Green
Guide
Hold
Index

etc etc.

So when selecting in the drop down menus where you want to the to go when selecting AV2 or HDMI1 (depending on whether it's DVD player or Playstation respectively) the only button that is relevant to the command is "AV".

But of course that just switches it to the AV menu, it doesn't switch it to a specific one of the AV menu, hence you're left with whichever was last selected from the AV menu.

Hope that makes sense!

clockworks

Just checked on my config. At the "select the remote buttons you press to go to each input" screen, all the Inputs are already set to give the correct command, i.e.

TV = TV
AV1 = InputVideo1
AV2 = InputVideo2

HDMI1 = InputHdmi1

HDMI3 = InputHdmi3

If I click on any of the drop down boxes, I get a full list of all the commands that are available - all the numbers, inputs, direction buttons, etc.
Looking at your list, the direction up and down are missing, as well as all the inputs.

Seems to me that you've managed to download a bad code set, or managed to delete a lot of the buttons somehow.

If you had the full set of commands, like I do, you'd get this working exactly how you want.

Try adding a second TV (devices/add device), using "TH46PZ81b" as the model. I've just tried this, and it correctly configured all the inputs.

If this works for you, just reconfigure all your activities to use the new TV.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom