Harmony 1000 and the RF Wireless Extender

Spud36

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I'm looking to possibly get the Harmony 1000 remote but need some advice on what I want it to do.

I gather from reading on this forum that touch screens have the problem of you needing to look at the screen while also pointing the remote at the kit you controlling.

My intention was to by the RF wireless extender for the Harmony and mount it on the back wall of the room pointing directly at the equipment and therefore no mater how I was holding the remote or where I was standing/sitting or pointing it, it would still work via the RF wireless extender.

I read the instruction manual and am now unsure if this is possible as I understand it will only control 8 bits of kit and it seemed you have to plug cables into the RF wireless extender :confused:.

Does anyone know if what I proposed above will work and is the RF wireless extender limited to control upto 8 items even though I believe the remote can control 15?

If it is not possible is there something on the market which can translate the 1000 RF signals into IF and transmit to the equipment?

Hi

I dont want to put you off but there are better remotes for about the same £££. Most owners who had this rc didn't have it long, and that has to say something! Try to find all the related threads on this forum bud.

Rgds

CH

Cheers for that

It doesn't sound promising. I currently have a Harmony remote and like it and the software used to program it. It controls everything I need even the basic PS3 commands so I thought sticking with Harmony would be easy to upgrade.

I remember when the 1000 came out there where all sorts of problems. I thought they may have been ironed out by now. I'm guessing not.

Hi
I read the instruction manual and am now unsure if this is possible as I understand it will only control 8 bits of kit and it seemed you have to plug cables into the RF wireless extender :confused:.

Does anyone know if what I proposed above will work and is the RF wireless extender limited to control upto 8 items even though I believe the remote can control 15?

The extenders have a built-in IR blaster, so no cables need plugging in. The Software only lets you add 8 bits of kit to be controlled by the extender. This was not the case with older versions.

The cables (which are included) are just to place an IR blaster directly onto the piece of kit to be controlled. They are double ended so one cable goes to two items. The extender has four jack sockets for the cables to plug in, and you can direct the IR signal to go to one output only if needed (EG if you have IR codes that interfere with other items of equipment).

AFAIK there is no other reciever that is compatible with the Harmony.

Tank (using an 895 with two extenders in different rooms)

Hi

It may sound a bit OTT but could you have two extenders each controlling up to 8 different bits of kit each? I think its 13 pieces of equipment I am looking to control.

Cheers

Thanks for all the advice.

It appears then I will be able to achieve what I was wanting to do with regards to the RF Extender.

I understand the sky colour buttons issue appears to have been resolved but does anybody know about the following:

1 Has the unit stopped crashing frequently with the upgrades to software/firmware?
2 Is it possible to create screens with your own choice of buttons/commands yet or are there still only screens containing a predefined set of buttons?

Are there any other problems people have with this remote? I get the impression alot of bugs have been ironed out (slowly) over the past months since its release.

I started reading through the 1000 thread but am not sure about the above 2 questions. (I was skimming as its quite a long thread)

Cheers for any help

Hello there. Please I am new to this forum and I would like to get some of your professional advice on how to use my remote harmony remote control and RF wireless extender. Here is my scenario I have a DISH network satellite and I can only see all the channels on one tv (My living room TV) but I would like to also see these channels in my room tv as well, so somebody suggested that I will need an Logitech Harmony RF Wireless Extender and an 670 RF wireless remote control. Now my questions are: are these what I really needed and secondly how do I go by making this work please? Thanks in advance and God bless
Ayakat

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Hi and a Happy Easter.
You need some means of actually getting the TV signal to the other room. You can do this by wireless with one of the devices on this page: Amazon.co.uk: tv extender - Electronics & Photo: Electronics & Photo
H H

Hello there and Happy Easter to you as well. Thanks for your response and advice. I have already bout a Logitech Harmony RF Wireless Extender and an 670 RF wireless remote control including a cable spiltter> are you suggesting to replace these with what are in the site you recommend or can I still go ahead and use what I have already? I am confuse, please explain further.
Thanks

That's OK.
You have the satellite receiver and a TV in one room, and want to watch its channels on another TV in another room, so how do you intend to transmit the signal from one room to the other? The Device I linked to is one way of doing that.
I don't know much about the Harmony 670 model, but thought it works only by Infra-Red. Are you sure that it is capable also of Radio Frequency operation?
Logi.

That's OK.
You have the satellite receiver and a TV in one room, and want to watch its channels on another TV in another room, so how do you intend to transmit the signal from one room to the other? The Device I linked to is one way of doing that.
I don't know much about the Harmony 670 model, but thought it works only by Infra-Red. Are you sure that it is capable also of Radio Frequency operation?
Logi.

Thanks again for the mail but Now I am clueless, but i thought that is what the wireless extender is meant for, to transmit the signal from my living room to my room tv while the remote control allow me to change the channels from the main receiver in my room without actually pointing to the receiver directly. please educate me better and thanks again

The Extender sends the controlling commands from the Harmony to the Devices, and as it does that by Wireless those devices can be in another room.
To get the picture and sound from a receiver in one room to a TV in another you need a quite different device, like the one I linked to.

The Extender sends the controlling commands from the Harmony to the Devices, and as it does that by Wireless those devices can be in another room.
To get the picture and sound from a receiver in one room to a TV in another you need a quite different device, like the one I linked to.

Thank you for your continuous assistance, as you can see I am very novice about this but please can you at least let me know which exactly device (name) from the link/list you sent me, I need to get. If it is possible, I will like to watch different channels from the main receiver at the same time, and I have more than one TV, I would like to do this to, also mind you, I have a dish satellite network and I reside in U.S

Thanks

That's OK. These things can look complicated at first sight.
With one satellite receiver you can watch only one channel at a time, either in the same room, or on another TV in another room, or in both rooms.
To get the picture and sound from the receiver in one room to the TV in another you can use a Radio Frequency Video Sender.
This will allow you to change the channels while you are watching in the second room, as it includes the remote control facility.
You won't need the Harmony extender for this purpose.
There are other methods of getting the picture and sound to the other room that use cabling rather than RF transmission.
This US site is showing several RF Senders:
Amazon.com: tv extender: Electronics

With one satellite receiver you can watch only one channel at a time, either in the same room, or on another TV in another room, or in both rooms.
To get the picture and sound from the receiver in one room to the TV in another you can use a Radio Frequency Video Sender.
This will allow you to change the channels while you are watching in the second room, as it includes the remote control facility.
There are other methods of getting the picture and sound to the other room that use cabling rather than RF transmission.

Once again, I must thank you greatly for continue helping me and I think this should be my final question to you. I have been to the site and decided to buy either AlphaStar V900SX TV Sender (video sender) or Terk Technologies Leapfrog LF-30S Wireless 2.4 GHz A/V Distribution System
and all i wanted to know now is that would any one of these do and which one would you suggest?, also would I be needing any additional devices after this? Please advice accordingly. If i need to transmit the signal to more than one TV, does that mean I would need two of either of these devices for each additional TV or would one be enough as long as the distance is still within. Another question, if the main receiver is in my living room down stair and I am watching the same channel in my bedroom up stair, how do I change the channel from my room upstair, would I need a special remote control to do this or is this where where harmony 670 remote control come to place or is there another remote I must buy? Thanks again.

That's OK - it's a pleasure to help.
Those are exactly the type of device you need to get the picture and sound from your receiver to TVs in other rooms. The 2.4gHz RF frequency is more common than 900mHz, but I don't know what difference, if any, that would make in the US. The first shows the range as 150", but that is probably a misprint for 150 feet. You would need an extra receiving unit for each additional TV, so you'd need to check on whether they're available on their own. If they're not I'm pretty sure they will be available with other makes, as they are here.
Here the devices also transmit the IR control signals for changing channels from the original remote or from a Harmony in the second room back to the receiver. These do not appear to have that facility but if you have a Harmony with the RF extender it will do that instead.
You mentioned that you have a "670 RF wireless remote control". If that is a Harmony I do not know the model number, so could you check that it IS compatible with the Harmony RF extender?

That's OK - it's a pleasure to help.
Those are exactly the type of device you need to get the picture and sound from your receiver to TVs in other rooms. The 2.4gHz RF frequency is more common than 900mHz, but I don't know what difference, if any, that would make in the US. The first shows the range as 150", but that is probably a misprint for 150 feet. You would need an extra receiving unit for each additional TV, so you'd need to check on whether they're available on their own. If they're not I'm pretty sure they will be available with other makes, as they are here.
Here the devices also transmit the IR control signals for changing channels from the original remote or from a Harmony in the second room back to the receiver. These do not appear to have that facility but if you have a Harmony with the RF extender it will do that instead.
You mentioned that you have a "670 RF wireless remote control". If that is a Harmony I do not know the model number, so could you check that it IS compatible with the Harmony RF extender?

Well, I will continue thanking you for your assistance. I will try the 2.4 ghz and definitely keep you inform regarding my progress. my remote is logitech harmony 670 universal remote.
thanks again

You're very welcome, but do check on the point I made about the 670 - as far as I know only the 800s and 1000s take the RF extender.

I have gotten the 2.4ghz Rf frequency and I hope this is the same thing I needed but my rf wireless extender will be used with my remote.
thanks

Hello there again, please can you tell me if I get the right device and what is the difference between these and which one should I have gotten instead: Terk Technologies Leapfrog LF-30S Wireless 2.4 GHz A/V Distribution System and TERK LF30S WaveMaster 2.4GHz Audio/Video Transmitter with Remote Extender. The first one is the one I got but it looks like I should gotten the second one instead, please advise accordingly so I can make changes if need to. Thanks again

The item you have is fine. The other one is something that you may need in addition. The important thing is to determine whether your Harmony really can use the Harmony IR/RF extender - and I don't think it can, so do check that! If it can't then you'll need that second Terk device in addition.

The item you have is fine. The other one is something that you may need in addition. The important thing is to determine whether your Harmony really can use the Harmony IR/RF extender - and I don't think it can, so do check that! If it can't then you'll need that second Terk device in addition.

What can I say, you are in deed a God sent, and again and again I shall be forever grateful. I have checked and you are right, it cannot work, I need the 890 or 1000 logitech RF wireless remote instead of the 670 which I bought due to lack of my knowledge but thanks to this forum and to you especially I am begins to know one or two things. Anyway, I have contacted the remote seller and offer to pay the difference if they are willing to swap it for me. Thanks again.

Different questions, is true and possible that I can add more channels to my dish or channels should I say? Now I only have one dish and one receiver however my installer claims that he is bring something later on that will add more channels to the satellite but I am yet to see if and I would like to know if he is talking truth. Also, currently most of my channels are not hd, he told me we can either purchase an hd receiver or adapter, please are all these talks possible?

That's quite all right, it's a pleasure to help.
You really don't need to spend a lot more on a new Harmony and the additional Harmony extender, as that second Terk device would do what you want.
Are you actually receiving any HD channels with your present equipment? If so then your receiver must already be an HD one.
Logi

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom