Harmony® One, tell me the negatives

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by dsb79, Feb 4, 2009.

1. dsb79

dsb79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Looking at geting one of these, seems ideal, i have an LG LCD and a Humax, foxsat box, will be be adding an amp soon i hope, but is there something better i should be looking at.

2. clockworks

clockworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    For the money, there isn't anything better.

3. y2k

y2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +291
    I bought one last week and find it very good, has replaced all the remotes in my bedroom and living room. The only bad thing was that it was a bit slow when changing TV channels on the PS3's playtv but I have changed some settings and its not bad now.

4. Wamphyri

Wamphyri

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +291
    Just got mine today, and there are no negatives. Onr of the best bits of tech i've ever purchased.

5. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,162
    The negatives are:

- a terribly over sensitive touchscreen that makes it far too easy to
    accidentally send unwanted commands when adjusting your grip.

- no hard keys for the red, green, yellow, blue buttons (my biggest gripe).

- quick to setup initially, but horrible awkward to tweak (this one applies to all Harmony models).

Other than that, it is a damn good remote.
    I flip between my Harmony One and my Philips ProntoPro depending on what I'm doing.
    The Pronto does it all and much more, but if I wanted to leave a stranger in control of my kit, then the Harmony One is vital.

6. MIKE TK

MIKE TK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You can adjust the sensitivity of the screen.

7. Gladiator111

Gladiator111
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well,
    After owning two different Kameleon's, I would say that the Harmony One is an amazing remote! What a joy to use!

After the purchase of a new tv and bru ray, I spent hours trying to get the Kameleon to work with the new kit... what a nightmare, nothing would work correctly with few commands available.

Now, having scrapped the Kam (on ebay for 50p), the One took 20 minutes to set up and a couple more minutes polishing off some minor tweaks for the Sony AV.

No issues, however for long macros, it can take a while to kick everything on (5 seconds of pointing at the tv)...but please - consider the old days of trying to find six other controls to do the same operation!

No negatives to comment on... just go get it from Amazon with the Harmony1 code for £75!

8. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,162
    Yeah, in theory. In practice the sensitivity setting makes naff all difference.

9. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,778
    I agree about the erratic screen sensitivity, and about the colour buttons - but there are hard buttons to transfer the colour commands to and they are perfectly placed there.
    Harmonys don't use macros, but if its the Activities that are slow then it's up to the user to change the delays, though 5 seconds for a TV to be ready to accept another command is actually lower than the typical figure.

10. MadFruit

MadFruit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately that code has expired :( It's now £98 (although on Monday it was £114!!).

Anyone know any other cheaper place to get one?

11. Gladiator111

Gladiator111
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Guess I was one of the lucky ones, sorry you missed out.:( I shall keep an eye out for any deals.

12. Mark

Mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Just got mine £75 Amazon
    Will give it a bash tonight
    Works on my mac cool:smashin:

13. andyp

andyp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Mine was £60 thanks to offer code and Amazon Mastercard £15 voucher :)

This is my first universal remote, and only had it a couple of days so still tinkering quite a bit. Overall I love it, which is praise indeed from a die-hard Sony fan, I really do think it's a fantastic looking and quality item.

Was quite frustrating getting to grips with the software, but getting used to that now.

Now have my separate 'devices' all customised on the touch screen keys, but today I've given up and deleted the activities I originally set up. Only have a BD player and DVD/HDD PVR through TV, so wasn't really necessary to go the activity route.

14. Bachstrad

Bachstrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    If you're not using the 'activity' functions of the remote then you've missed the whole point of having a Harmony remote IMHO. It's all about setting up activities that operate your devices together seemlessly with the touch of one button. Correct inputs on the TV, PVR and amp etc etc. Since I set my 885 up correctly I hardly ever need to control a device individually. You should definitely revisit Activities!

ATB

Max

15. Gladiator111

Gladiator111
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I would do the same. It's so easy to create the activities. For example, I have a USB connection to my Samsung TV that allows photo's and music to be accessed as a slideshow. I have even created an activity that switches the TV, AV and access the USB at a touch of a button. Think about the money I have saved not buying one of those 7" digital picture frames for £70 eh??? I have a 40" frame to show off the holiday pics!!

You should def set up your activities...

16. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,778
    As you got such a good price maybe it doesn't matter much, but if you don't use Activities you might as well have got any universal remote for a tenner.

17. andyp

andyp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Alright alright…. !! ;)

Never said I wasn't ever going to set up activities, just don't have the time to spend tinkering at the moment. And as I don't have my AV amp hooked up yet (I'm 'in between' speakers at the moment!), didn't think it was worth bothering too much about it yet…

But, I have encountered a few frustrations that maybe someone could assist with…

When trying to set-up a 'Watch TV' activity, there didn’t seem to an option to NOT select an input to the TV for the signal, such as a Sky-box, Freeview box, etc. I don't need this as my TV (Sony 40W4000) has a built in Freeview tuner and that’s all I have. Also, in this case, why would I need an activity for watching just the TV anyway?

When I set up activities for watching a BD (Sony BDP-S350) or watching a recorded program on my PVR (Sony RDR HXD860), it seemed to take an age to fire up either player and didn’t get the correct input to the TV. Now I do have both a Scart and an HDMI connection between the PVR and TV, maybe this is the problem?

Activities aside, if I just use the devices selector to say watch a recording from my PVR, the hard volume buttons don't work, and they weren't available in the list when customising buttons.

Apart from that, it's an awesome device, especially for £60 :D

Thanks!

18. clockworks

clockworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    On most TVs, the "TV" input is used for the internal Freeview tuner, so set your "Watch TV" activity to use "inputTV".

Disconnect the scart cable, or disable "scart switching" on the TV or PVR. Check that you are using the correct input selection method for your TV. Method 2 (separate buttons for each input) works with most TVs.

The volume buttons won't do anything when you are in "PVR" device mode, as they are TV or amp functions, not PVR functions. You'll need to switch to the "TV" device to use them. If you use activities, you can access all the common functions of all devices at the same time.

19. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,778
    My setting for WatchTV with its internal tuners is ATV/DTV, and the reason for using an Activity for the purpose is to keep the Harmony's Smart State technology in synchronisation with the other Activities.
    Scarts will certainly cause a problem if they're fully wired and operate the device's own automatic switching system - they'll conflict with the Harmony's so that you have to decide which system to keep and which to disable.
    If you go to the DVR or any device in Devices then the volume buttons naturally can't control the volume for another device!
    You're still right about the One though - and especially about the price!

20. andyp

andyp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks for the replies guys, it’s really appreciated. Oh, and apologies to the starter of this thread for hi-jacking! :)

So, now had chance to set up my activities, which was made slightly easier doing it manually rather than automatically, i.e. letting software decide which devices to use. Have also disconnected scart cable. However, I now seem to have one really annoying problem, which even using the help, troubleshoot, starting again etc, I just can’t seem to get round.

Have set up three activities, "Watch TV", "Watch BD" and "Watch HDD" (PVR). Each activity starts every time just fine, the problem occurs when I go back, say to watch TV after watching a BD. So, in this example, BD player shuts down, but the input select on TV (one button on original remote) misses by one. Instead of selecting Tuner, it stops at PC, which is the one before. Same happens when PVR shuts off, except stops at component...

I did think it was due to the delays which I reduced right down, but now have them back to default settings and still the same.

Any thoughts?

21. monksy74

monksy74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    What model of TV is it? Have you checked if there are working discrete input commands? Many TVs have these even though there's only one button to cycle them on the original remote.

As you're using method 1 (one button cycles) are you sure that the list of inputs the harmony has in the inputs setup matches the inputs cycled on the TV.

From your description that it works first time then gets it wrong when changing an activity it sounds like the TV has one more input than the harmony thinks there are.

E.g. TV always starts up on first input. TV has 6 inputs but the harmony setup thinks there are 5. Start first activity which uses input 4 - works fine. Change to activity which uses input 3, harmony thinks it needs to send 4 commands (change to inputs 5, 1, 2, 3) TV goes to 5, then 6, then 1, then 2

Just a guess from what you've described.

22. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,778
    Andy - That's OK about the thread, and Monksy was right first time - your TV does have Harmony discrete Input Commands, so you should be using Method 2.

23. monksy74

monksy74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    Andy, I'd still be interested to know if my guess was right :)

24. andyp

andyp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks again, but unless I'm being dumb my TV must be set-up as Method One, i.e. one button to cycle through each input. I did try Method Two, but then it prompted me to enter the button description for each input which I cannot do.

For info, there are 9 possible inputs, all these are shown inc in the correct order during the Harmony set up.

:(

25. andyp

andyp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    OK, been tinkering again, and think I may have sussed it at last! :thumbsup:

logiciel - you were correct, choosing Method 2 was the setting which seemed to sort it. Wasn't obvious though, selected InputTuner for TV, and InputVideo1 - 8 for the other inputs.

Only downer is all my custom touch screen buttons for each device have gone :(

Thanks again guys!

26. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,778
    OK Andy - good we got you there.
    What's that about disappearing virtual buttons?
    If it IS only Devices it doesn't matter as that area is only for storage, not for use.
    If it's in your Activities then you can Customise any commands you like to the screen.
    Nothing should have made any that you already set up disappear though.:confused: