• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Harmon Kardon TC30 - strange issues

madforitdiver

Standard Member
Hi all
Apologies if this has been asked before - have had a trawl trhough the threads but nothing answers my question! - sorry!

My setup is this. I'm using the TC30 to control my main room gear - Denon 3808 amp, 42" panasonic TV, PS3 (with a logic 3 ir receiver) etc and also the house and tv lights (the tv lights are vogels, the house light is a varilight ISI 402m twin gang wall light). I've had loads of problems with the discrete power on/off issue but my annoyance now is trying to get the house lights to work.

If you've not used a varilight controller before a brief explanation is necessary. Basically, using any old remote you teach the codes of any unused buttons to the light switch and from then on it can turn the lights off and on and also dim them (off/on with one press, dimming by holding down) by pressing those buttons. So I picked two unused buttons on the TV remote taught them to the light switch, then taught them to the TC30 (two of the 'soft' LCD buttons). So now I can turn the lights on and off. However, they won't dim.

Using a digital camera to look at the IR beams of the two devices the reason it's not working is clear. The codes coming from the original remote keep emitting as long as you keep the button pressed. On the TC30 the code is only sent once no matter how long the button is pressed.

So, my question is this.....how can I get the TC30 buttons to emulate the original remote and continue to send the signal as long as the button is pressed.

I can probably get the volume button to do this as the volume button seems to work in this manner - but it would be nice to have specifically labelled buttons on the lcd screen for dimming, in any case I know this is possible as the soft button for the tv power on/off does this. Can't figure out how though.

Many thanks for any suggestions.
Cheers
Paul

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom