1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harmon Kardon DVD 30 or Denon 2200

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by mistuk, Dec 12, 2003.

1. mistuk

mistuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I was planning on getting a Denon 2200, but these are hard to get at the moment (seem to be anyway). My local dealer's got a Harmon Kardon DVD30 which looks really good. Anyone know how these two compare? What's the Harmon like for CD playback and audio quality?

Regards,

Kev

2. Brox

Brox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have the HK DVD 25 (not sure how similar it is to the 30 but ...)
    and the cd replay surprised me how good it was, I felt it was on a par with my Marantz 67SE although I was not able to do a back to back comparison. Movie sound is also good but I don't have a lot to compare it with, it is better than my old Toshiba 2109 but not massively better.

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    HK DVD30is a DVD25 with DVD-A playback so should be even beter for CD, They really are superb players and have none of the faults that the 2900 suffers!

4. mistuk

mistuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What problems do the 2900 suffer from????

Kev

5. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Oh for goodness sake, I suppose if people repeat this mantra often enough then it must be true - people will do searches looking for stuff about the 2900 & find stuff like this repeating "problems"with it :nono:

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    What?
    Search for DV2900 a lot of people have/had gripes with PAL PQ

7. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    So again it's 2nd hand reporting of the "problems".

I own a denon 2200 - I tried it in my own home before I bought it against my old pioneer 656 & the new Pioneer 668. I can tell you without fear of contradiction than the PQ in PAL (progressive and Interlaced) beats the living daylights out of those machines. NTSC PQ improvement was even better for reasons I don't understand nor particularly care about.

The machine is Modified for Multiregion by the dealer. I have no problems at all, no lip synch, no lockups, zip. Of course I could be the lucky one who got the good machine - or maybe not, perhaps they are good - even if they may or may not suffer from the pal chroma bug.

BTW have other pal prog dvd players received the same scrutiny of this issue - after all it must be a huge problem with the Denon, so research by owners desperate to replace their failing machines must have been carried out.

The 2200 also plays DVDA & SACD at least as well as the Pioneer 668 & plays Cds better than the 668 (although I only carried out that test for the hell of it since I will carry on using my Arcam).

EDIT

Just to make this clear I'm not out to single handedly convince everyone of what a great machine I own, I'm just tired of reading replies that report murmers from other threads as gospel without any first hand experience.

8. mistuk

mistuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    wilber - thanks for your insight. I think I'll just wait until my dealer has stock of the 2200's.

Regards

Kev

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Wilber i was actually referring to the problems reported on the 2900 not the 2200. I have heard of no problems with the 2200,
    If you like the look of both the 2200 and DVD30 why not them both!

10. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    HD - The original post was a question about the 2200, it was you who brought up the 2900! However, the 2200 & 2900 share many components - video in particular, so any problems in the 2900 could easily show in the 2200 (which is why I thought you had posted).

Kev - I was talking to the guys in 7oaks Bristol where I got mine from. They reckon that the Reading branch have two in stock - no idea of colour though.

11. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    I have a Denon 2900 and i'm absolutly delighted with it great machine and no problems to report:clap:

I was actually looking at a Harman Kardon DVD player before i purchased my 2900, but the look, disc navigation, layer change handling and SUPERB picture made me choose the Denon.

I'm sure you'll be happy which either player you choose as they are both great machines.:smashin:

Giz.

OFF TOPIC!!

P.S. Wilber - I'm with you on the Denon comments around, negative comments are too quick to appear. There are problem's with all player's, my old pioneer 717 was replaced due to being unable to play certain discs, my denon is yet to pixelate, freeze or show any signs of trouble. I'm well happy with the Denon performance.:D

12. disgruntled

disgruntled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the 2200. The picture quality(pal &ntsc prog) is excellant through AE100. Onboard dts decoder is also surprisingly good. Highly recommended.

13. dtsrules

dtsrules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the 2900 and apart from the first disc of Alien quadrilogy i've not had a problem. Connected up to my (crap to some people) panasonic 32pd30 it is a stunning machine.