1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harmon Kardon AVR8500

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Andywilliams, Dec 11, 2003.

1. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Folks
    Ive managed to order one of these receivers from a local dealer for 1450 quid which i think is a steal.I know its only got 5 amps(only need 5) built in at 110 watts per channel but from what ive read in real terms it is much more.HCC tested the amp and with 2 channels driven it output 155watts in to 8 ohms but in to 4 ohms a massive 255 watts.With all five channels driven it output 125 watts into 8 ohms and185 watts in to 4 ohms all with 0.5%thd.All my speakers are rated at 4 0hms and below so this amp should in real terms drive my m&ks pretty well.The icing on the cake is that it sounds very good in stereo so for the price didnt really want to spend any more i seem to have done very well.
    Only thing is ive got to have a new av stand made to house it so wont be able to set it up till after christmas,dont know if it is true but i brought it now because i was told the offer on the amp was for a limited period and that they may be bringing out a newer model so didnt want to risk it.
    Cheers Gonzo.:)

2. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Very underrated receiver.

Glad i didn't sell mine now ;)

Beats the top Denon & Pioneer for 2 channel.
    (The Denon and Pioneer boys wont like me saying that)

((Still, the TAG boys used to hate me saying the Meridian could out do them in every department))

Every bit as good for Dolby / DTS tracks

Has very clean output.

For 2 channel, it is the best integrated i've heard.

It usually gets overlooked due to the fact that it only has 5 onboard amps, and it doesn't have "Denon" or "Pioneer" on the front.

However the big Denon & Pioneers are classy too.

Adz

3. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If only it weren't so damn ugly :D...

4. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Yes, i understand where you're aiming at.

However, you could always say that to your missus if she started to complain.

It would be a damn shame (and i know it happens) if the Harmon lost out to the others coz it looks ugly.

Adz

5. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    Gonzo, I don't want to spoil your wonderful receiver. But did you know that you can get the 8500 from reputable www.hificomponents.de for around £1050 delivered?

Wasabi

6. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :laugh: - great analogy.

7. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Wasabi
    Main reason i went to my own hifi dealer if i get any problems i wont have any difficulty in getting things fixed and these amps are very complex on the other hand saving 400 quid is a good saving but in my book not worth the bother as if things did go wrong it would probably end up being a nightmare.
    PS i have read the threads on importing the new yamaha amps from within europe but dont want to take the risk with stuff that can easily get problems.
    I know i imported my svs but there are only 3 parts to it ,driver,amp and the tube, the amp and driver take about 25 minutes each to replace if faulty and svs are very good at after sales so no worrys on spare parts.
    so to me paying extra is somtimes worth it.
    Cheers Gonzo. :)