1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harmon Kardon Amp

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by beaspoke, Jan 11, 2004.

1. beaspoke

beaspoke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone help? I have an old Harmon Kardon PM665 amp which is faulty but repairable - possibly £50 - £70 to resolve. Question is it worth while fixing or should I go for a replacement new amp of an equivalent spec? Ideas?

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    well you dont get much amp for £50-70 ?Current HK range are £250+ If this helps.

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    as horny says,for that sort of money,repairing the amp would seem the best idea,unless you want to spend at least twice that amount on a new budget amp.

4. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    Weeeeeeeeeeeeeell!! Thats a tricky one!! The 665 cost around £620-699 new and while not "state of the art" was pretty hefty at 90 watts per channel RMS. If you spent that now you would see massive differences/improvements!!! However, £70's not much considering the intial outlay (if you bought it new?) and it should go for a while yet afterwards.

So, you have to decide whether it's the right time for an upgrade, and with the improvements in tech over the last 15 years quite a hefty one at that. If the rest of the system is of a similair vintage you will see improvements but not as much as if you went whole hog and upgraded the lot!! You could also use a new amp as a basis for a rolling upgrade as money becomes available.

Were it me, i'd go for a new amp, but that's just me. It's your budget, and really, only you know if it's the right time.

5. beaspoke

beaspoke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies which should help me decide but I also need a decent upgrade path for my aging Yamaha CDX550E and Mordaunt Short HT30 speakers. I'm looking for some floorstanding speakers possibly the Mission M731i, Mordaunt Short 904 or the Gale 3030 - Richer sounds specials. No idea what direction to take for the CD, I’m really liking the Cambridge Audio Azur 540C. Views/comments??