Harmoany 896 & X10 RF Controls?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by Mark Ward, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I want to but a Harmony 885 or 895 universal remote.

Does anyone know if the RF ability of the 895 allow it to control X-10 RF commands? I currently have a little 8 button X10 fob as well as my Pronto, it would be great if the outside lights, living room lamps etc. could work off the harmony.

Also, from what I've read on here the RF commands are being used to extend the IR range of remote equipment. Does the RF to IR "Gizmo" come bundled with the remote? or is it an additional purchase? My real interest is in RF for X10 though, so that's the deciding factor for me.

Thanks,

Mark.

2. paulmcg

paulmcg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    it doesn't control it directly. I have an x-10 IR receiver - which is relatively cheap. The 895 comes with the extender and uses Z-wave to control the it, which is not x-10 compatible.

3. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    OK, thanks for that. I already have a couple of the X10 IR converters but I thought that an RF signal broadcast from the 895 would negate the need to have those ugly little boxes around the place.

Looks like the 885 will be fine for me.

Thanks,

Mark.

4. paulmcg

paulmcg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    no problem - the one hting with the 895 btw, is that you can hide the converters - I have mine and all of my other kit on a cupboard