1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harman Kardon Speakers ?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Stevie D, Jul 21, 2005.

1. Stevie D

Stevie D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thinking of getting Harman Kardon HKTS7 or HKTS11 speaker package. Has anyone got these ? Also what makes speakers DVD audio ready ???

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I can only answer the second part of the question as it is DVD players and amplifiers that have to be "DVD Audio ready" and not speakers as they will just play whatever signal is fed to them.

Normal DVD video is fed from the player to the amp in digital form and is decoded within the amp with the resultant analogue signals being fed to the individual speakers by the amp.

DVD Audio is decoded within the DVD player and the resultant analogue signals are fed to the amp which just passes the already decoded signals to the speakers so in general terms you need a DVD player that will decode DVDA and an amplifier with a six channel input to accept the decoded signals.

The above is strictly in laymans terms before the nitpickers come out to play

3. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Rule 7 anyone?

The HKTS11 is quite noticeable better than the 7, more range and detail. Well as much range and detail as you can get from a small sub-sat arrangement! I install quite a few Harman amp/dvd/speaker systems in plasma installs, they look good, have decent sound (not far off first generation KEF egg sound) and the sub isn't some nasty flapping paper cone jobbie. Is a bit temperamental but on this budget you could do far worse!

Wasn't there something once about SACD/DVD-A playback wanting wideband speakers or something? Or was that all part of the confusion with what 192kHz bit really meant. Or am I talking out of my exhaust fan :suicide:

4. Stevie D

Stevie D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the feedback guys.

Also concidering the Mordaunt-Short Avant Premiere system which is in the same budget range ?? Or any other recomendations