1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harman Kardon Repair

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Cornelius, Jan 11, 2005.

1. Cornelius

Cornelius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The kids thought it would be a good idea to spill sticky strawbury syrup down the top right hand side of my AVR507 :mad: The amp switched off with PROTECT showing on the main display. Few hours later I turned it back on and all seemed well until I noticed the front right channel was at very low volume - but still audible. I've had a peak at the circuit board which has lots of syrup over a copper coil and PCB labelled funnily enough - FR-CH.
    Anybody know where I can get this repaired in Essex/London? Or should I be brave and clean it my self, but with what??

Thx :rolleyes:

2. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi
    If you are insured i would go that way you may have to pay £50 access but it would cost that for some one to have a look at it without any parts included if any need replacing.Sometimes they will say its beyond repair so you will get a new amp.
    Cheers Gonzo.

3. Cornelius

Cornelius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would you Adam an' Eve it my policy ran out on31st Dec and I was supposed to have shopped around for a better deal by now :suicide: .
    The plot thickens...
    Any other ideas??

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    HK repairer is a company in Fishponds lane Bristol cant remember what they are called tho............sontec??? ring HK UK they will know........

5. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Dispose of the kids, now!!!
    What's more important, them or your hifi kit?
    Think about it!!!

6. Cornelius

Cornelius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Horny. Repair Co. is called Select TV Ltd in Bristol: http://www.selecttv.co.uk.

They charge £40 for an inspection which is refunded when they go ahead with repairs. Hope it can be ultrasonically cleaned rather than new PCB :rolleyes:

7. Cornelius

Cornelius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got the estimate from Select TV...wait for it......£500!!!!!
    Now the amps working perfectly well apart from this right channel and they want £500 to fix it!!
    Am I being conned here?!?

8. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi
    Seems way over the odds for one duff channel,Give H/K a ring and see what they can do,You never know customer service is supposedly quite good.
    Cheers Gonzo.

9. shawn

shawn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    strange you mention this,

i have a h/k amp, the 2 surrounds have no sound, if i connect a speaker to the left surround it hums then says protect and switches off :(

i too am looking to get mine repaired just dident know harman kardon av,s was so hard to get repaired, as no one seems the service them :(

i could try select tv but from what you have been saying 500 pounds seems wrong to me after you say its only 1 channel, mines got 2 channels down, so i bet they will charge even more, but thats alot of money for a small repair, why was it so expensive? sureley you asked them why 500??
    im curious mate as mine is similar problem only mines got 2 channels down.

also did you get it sorted, and can tell anyware other than select tv ? to get mine repaired.

thankyou

10. Cornelius

Cornelius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Shawn,

Sorry your amp is not working. After I got a quote from selectTV I called Harman UK to veify the costs. They kindly contacted selectTV who gave Harmon a detailed report (funny that didn't come back to me as I coughed up £50 for an inspection :mad: ) explaining the need to replace the 3 main circuit boards in order to maintain the warranty. A non-warranty repair could be carried out at less cost and reliability. I finally gave up and am now the proud owner of a Yammy RXV1500 - it's completelt different ballgame :rotfl:

11. shawn

shawn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    well mines still sat here doing nothink :(

from what you said the 3 main circuit boards were shot? darn hope thats not the case with mine.

i think yours was prob due to that syrup on the boards, well from guessing, dident they indicate why the channels had blown and what had blown and needed replacing,

also if your amplifier was still under warrenty surely they should of fixed it for nothink???

think my amp is about 2 and half years old from guessing, bought it off a mates mate, so not sure how long the warrentys is on these.