1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harman Kardon DV22. Any Good ???

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jerkyboy, Jun 2, 2004.

1. jerkyboy

jerkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone got one of these DVD players.

How good is it ?.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    its ok but what are you connecting to? and with what?

3. Bono

Bono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hope you don't mind me jumping in on this thread, but I am just about to buy my first ever lot of AV gear and one of the things I'm looking to buy is a Harman Kardon DV22. I was thinking of running this with a Yam DSP-AX750SE and some wife freindly Elac Cinema XL 5.1's. The screen I am looking at is a Fujitsu P42HHA30.

Is this a good package or should I be looking at others ?

I would really appreciate some advice on this as this is my first time down this road.

Many thanks

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    consider matching it with a HK reciever, HHA is Alis display so dont worry about Prog scan.

5. Bono

Bono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which one would you suggest, my budget for the receiver is £400 -500.
    Are there any other DVD players you would suggest over the HK, my budget for this is £300
    What do you think to the choice of speakers ?

6. Hicksy

Hicksy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    slightly off track, but is Harman Kardon the same as Bose? I was in Paris over the weekend and a Bose AV looked itential!

7. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    I would also recomend going for a HK receiver, 500 budget will get you the AVR230 and some change. However, there are several bundles available with all Harman amp DVD and speakers and most Harman dealers are able to put together a bespoke bundle for you (I would go AVR230, DVD22 and HKTS11) these are wife friendly and partner well to the HK gear (IMO the Harmans are better than Elac whichever amp you use!).

Plasma wise if you have seen and liked the HHA then go for it, but if you lurk around the plasma forum a bit you will find quite a few anti-ALiS posters (including me) who also believe the Fuji 42VHA30 to be the best 42 incher available under 3 grand.

If you want me to spec you up something drop us a line with a list of kit you have already and I can give you few more ideas if you like

8. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    I tried an HK22 once upon a time. It was OK, the PQ was good, but no better than a Pio DV444 that I had at the time. What really irked me was the asking price of £299 for a machine which performed no better than a £100 - £150 DVD player (which is what it sells for in Europe and the USA) which I only found out about afterwards.

I returned it and bought an Arcam DV88+ for £499 which has noticeably better PQ and sound IMHO. I think that there are a lot better choices, if you want to save a bit the new Pioneer DV575 seems to get a good review for a fraction of the price and does more.

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Another :thumbs: for 42 VHA should have enough change for a an iscan HD too which really gets the very best from the panel!

10. Bono

Bono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is were I look very dumb, what is ALiS and does it matter if I use a progressive scan DVD. I've got a funny feeling I'm getting way out of my depth here, I've also been told a Denon 2200 and an 1804 would make good partners with the fuji plasma.

Sorry to be such an amateur, this is my first system and I want it to be right.

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    search for Alis, Play have some HK DVD2550 left 2 tone silver and black will match the new amps and they are much better than DVD22! £229.99 Possibly 10% off with voucher! Basically with any plasma the difference is having good de-interlacers, cheap plasma with good PS DVD, DVD will have better de-interlacer, cheap PS DVD and expensive plasma better off letting the plasma do the deinterlacing.

12. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    I just read the hilarious review of the DV22 in Home Cinema magazine. Reading the review, you would think that it was one of the best built and best performing dvd players ever built and well worth the £300 asking price. They sort of overlook that it is built no better and performs no better than a Pio 575, but at twice the price. It beats the new Denon DVD-1400 and an NAD too. :laugh:

Oh, wait a minute ...... this mag comes from the publishers of What HiFi Sound & Vision; that explains all :rotfl:

13. t0by

t0by

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    What about the DV 31 anyone? Any good?