1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harman Kardon DPR2005- opinions

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Spoonfed, Sep 11, 2004.

1. Spoonfed

Spoonfed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In my quest to burn some dollars............ oh sorry upgrade my sound performance on my Quad 12L's (quad centre.... etc etc) as per my other threds im still looking at receivers.

Having seen a few posts on AVS regarding the HK AVR630 "sounding" better than a 3805 i went to have a "look". At this point i learned of the DPR2005 a 120w 20hz-20khz 7ch DIGITAL reciever. Seeing as though it is the latest "tech" it got me all interested hehe :)

Researching this on AVS does see "some" mixed reviews but on the whole it seems it is a real performer.... with massive amounts of power........ and a number of people "replacing" they pre/pro/power setups with an IMPROVEMENT in sound quality.
    (one member as an example had a Anthem pre/pro and Rotel RMB1075 power.... his opinion was that the HK was better.... previous he has a RSP1066... again the HK better (i say this as the 1066+1075 was an option i was considering).
    The words/text taken from the horses mouth as to say

"I had a 1066/1075 combo before upgrading to the AVM 20. The 2005 is noticeably superior to both."

The DPR2005 is a bit of a different beast to the 3805 and AVR300 i have also compared in that it is digital. Ie feed it a digital coax/opitical signal and there are no DAC's necessary...... the digital signal is interperated in the digital amp section and the only analogue stage is a the speaker posts.
    Doing some reading on this it seems efficently is greatly improved going from approx 55% of conventional to 90%!

I listened to the 2005 today using my 12L's and Nordist Solar Wind cables

Source being a Roksan CD player...... first in analogue with the HK on "direct" stereo mode (although the amps are digital... apparently this mode still bypasses processing....and is passed only through the volume control and again interperated by the amp section... or some crap :) haha.

It sounded good...but changing the connection to digital i could notice improvement with "cleaner" sound.

The 2005 "seemed" to make my 12L's sound larger than i have ever heard. Sound was well bodied with vocals reminding me of the "fullness" increase going to the AVR300 (from denon) gave but MORE so.

Detail.............hmmmm for me this is a hard thing.... on "short" tests i think detail can be interperated wrong in that if one heres "more" of something it is detected as "detail"....... i find i really need to listen (almost always at home) for a long time and subcontiously i will pickup sections of the recording not noticed previoulsy.

The "sound" was a full and bodied...... also a litle warm..... a fair contrast to the Denons..... which "seemed" to have more treble response/detail though are known to be a little bright and thin.

Dynamics......... this is where it shined...... boy does it have some grunt..... even when "cranked" right up it seemed to simply put out more. I think the "volume" is rated similar like the 3805....... ie -80 to +20........... my "LOUD" listening was at -18 or so i estimae it has about 10db more than the 3805.

The "list" price is $2800AUD...... the AVR300 $3700AUD and the 3805 $2500AUD

I can get a 3805 for $2200AUD.... AVR300 $3000AUD and my "guess" is the DPR2005 at $2500AUD...... making it an interesting choice.

The DPR2005 lacks video upconversion......... which is no concern for a HTPC'ian like myself (video switching....... whats that..... mulitple sources???? BBQ.... Tomato......... HP (hehe is a UK forum :)? haha

The bass management of the HK is much better than the 3805 or AVR300 with individual crossover settings on a per speaker pair basis!
    It also COMPLETE indivdual settings on per-input basis (ie not just levels like the 3805 but crossover etc etc). IT also has full bass management on DVD-A 8ch analogue input.
    In this regard it smashes the config limited AVR300

"grunt" wise the manual states max power consumption to be a 1088watts..... with the AVR300 at 1200VA (which can pretty much considered as 1200watts) its close......... taking the superiour efficency of the DPR's digital amps into consideration however would lead on to "think" the HK has more on tap?

Oh there no fans either....... heat wise the only thing i could feel that got warm was the power supply area of the case.

Sheeeeeesh...... rambled on again...... sounds like im trying to sell the damn product hehe....... but it seems to have impressed me.

I will be going back next week for more listening.... i think i will ring up and see if i can get a "loan" for some home trials.

2. Spoonfed

Spoonfed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no opinions?

3. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Interesting to hear that someone has managed to get hold of the Harman to listen to. I enquired about one and was met with indifference by the dealer who I guess couldn't get one or didn't believe in them. Can you get the JVC RX-F10 Receiver down there? It's a 100w digital amp and getting a good rep on audiocircle, would be nice to hear a comparison between the expensive Harman and a cheap digital amp. There's a feeling over at AC that digital is already bringing good sound down to a price level that it was unavailable at before.

4. Spoonfed

Spoonfed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure about the JVC....... can get the panasonics but.

do a search on avsforum.com there is a thread called "DPR2005 review" thats long and compares to the panny's kenwood JVC etc

some feel the HK is better others the Panny....... makes things even harder choice :)