Harman Kardon AVR245 wiring problems

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by sjj84, May 7, 2007.

1. sjj84

sjj84

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Having some problems getting my receiver to work how I want it to. When connecting hdmi's and components to it, it doesn't seem to be outputing them to the screen. Similarly when I connect an s-video cable to it, needed for the on screen setup, it also doesn't display. Well it sort of does, I can see the faint writing sort of flickering in the background, but nothing clear or steady enough to read meaning I can't set the receiver up. Anybody got any suggestions?

2. hoppaz

hoppaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225

Does the amp and the tv have a bog standard composite connector (i.e. the yellow one)?

This is what I use to connect my amp to the tv for setup, perhaps the amp video output settings aren't configured correctly. Similarly check your tv settings.

Oh do you know if the amp outputs a PAL signal (and not NSTC - as HK amps are more popular in the states than the UK).

Just some ideas

3. sjj84

sjj84

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Both the amp and the tv have the standard yellow video plug, i'll give that a go and see if it's any better. Just checked the spec on the HK website and it says that it supports both pal and ntsc, maybe there is a setting somewhere to switch between the two. I'll have another play see if i can get anywhere.
    Thanks for your suggestions.

4. sjj84

sjj84

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Tried it with the yellow video connector as well as the s-video. Same problem. Perhaps there is interferance being caused somewhere along the line. I've got a different tv I can try at the weekend, obviously not the ideal solution. Would it be worth moving the receiver away from the tv and seeing if that's any better?

5. hoppaz

hoppaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Nope that should not make any difference. What I would do is a process of elimination disconnect everything from the amp (all input devices, wires, speakers etc) everything apart from the yellow video cable. If the menu works connect the components and speakers one at a time and see what happens to the amp menu. If no good once you disconnect everything, try a different tv if the problem persists then the amp must be damaged. If another tv works then it must be a setting or the tv itself.

Hope that works

6. sjj84

sjj84

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Tried everything you suggested, unfortunately it still doesn't work. I'm thinking the amp is faulty. I can see a nightmare coming along now, unfortunately I bought it over the internet from a shop quite a distance away. Took it to my local dealers today and they couldn't seem to grasp the concept that I just want them to plug it in and prove it's faulty and then repair under warrenty. The women just kept saying we can come and set it up for £35 call out and £50 per hour.

7. hoppaz

hoppaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225

The last and only other thing I can suggest is doing a hard reset of the receiver. I havd to do this when I upgraded the software on my own amp. To do this follw these instructions...

Reset the receiver's processor by pressing and holding the Surround Mode and Tune Mode switches on the front panel, and releasing them when the unit turns on and the word "Reset" appears in the front-panel display.

If that doesn't work it's kaput and I would send it back.

8. sjj84

sjj84

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Thanks for the help mate. I've decided to pay the £35 call out for them to come and set it up. If they can do it, then I am obviously doing something wrong and need it set up, if they can't they are authorised dealers so should be able to sort it out and hopefully I can claim back the £35. I'll let you know how i get on after they have been on monday.

9. ascaley

ascaley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Phone Harman Kardon. They collected mine for free, took it away and brought it back fixed. It was bought from pixmania.