Harman Kardon avr1700 and wii

Landa

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've purchased a Harman Kardon avr 1700 and am trying to connect my wii to it. Which are the best connectors to use? Is there an adapter out there that can connect the wii using HDMI? Currently have plasma TV, cable & blu ray attached through the avr.

Appreciate the assistance! Thanks!

Hopefully your AVR can act as the converter.

Does your av receiver support video conversion?

If it does, simply connect the yellow composite video cable to one of the inputs on the AVR and also via red/white audio cable. You might need to visit the AVR setup menu to assign them to match the audio and video or they might be assigned already by default. How are they labelled on the rear? I couldn't tell from the lo-res picture online. The AVR should then convert this analogue signal and output it over HDMI.

If the AVR doesn't support video conversion, I would connect the wii directly to the TV. For the audio side you would have 3 options:

1. Connect the red/white audio cables direct to the AVR ie only connect the yellow cable to the TV. If they're too short you can extend them using RCA couplers.

2. If the TV and AVR both support Audio Return Channel (ARC) then the HDMI cable from the AVR to the TV should pass the audio back from the TV.

3. Connect an audio cable from the TV to the AVR. This will more than likely be optical (digital) or aux phono (red/white analogue). Don't confuse inputs with outputs! This would only be used if ARC isn't supported.

If the AVR lacks video conversion it is effectively composite video in, composite video out, HDMI in, HDMI out etc.

The best output from the wii is via optional component video (green/blue/red) cable. Your AVR definitely doesn't have any component video inputs so you would have to connect via the TV directly as above. Component video offers far superior picture quality. Unfortunately composite video inputs can be on the side or front of modern tv's so if you want a permanent hook up it can look unsightly. Component video inputs tend to still be on the rear so might be a better option if your AVR doesn't support video conversion.

I'm assuming you are in the US as it has a different model number here. If you did want to convert it and route everything via the AVR you can get analogue to digital video converters.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...d=1011406&p_id=7111&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

Or just follow the above. Another option would be to return it for a model with video conversion.

Last edited:
Thanks, DavePuma! Especially for the monoprice link! (I am indeed in US~NY, anyway).

No problem.

I spotted an owners thread on AVSForum which is based on your side of the pond and it stated there that the AVR1700 (AVR-170) doesn't do video conversion.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom