Harman Kardon AVR170 - opinions

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Soundmangt4, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Soundmangt4

Soundmangt4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +970
    Hi,

I am considering an upgrade, but I am unsure if it's actually worth while or not.
    Basically, I originally bought a Harman Kardon BDS 877 system, and whilst it is a fantastic system for movies, I found it slightly lacking for music, and as a sound engineer of 15+ years, ended up upgrading the main L&R to B&W 603 S3's, and the centre to a B&W CC6. I have now also just ordered a larger JBL Sub 550P (10" 300W sealed box) and I'm now wondering if the BDS577 player/receiver is limiting my setup.
    Now as you may have noticed, there is a big Harman influence, which is due to being staff at a Harman company and getting decent discount, so I am now considering using the BDS as a 3D Bluray player and buying a Harman Kardon AVR170, as it has much a much better output (100W/ch as opposed to 65W/ch), and a much more comprehensive setup, including adjustable crossover points for the whole system which the BDS doesn't.

Has anyone got any experience with the AVR170 or similar, and do you guys think that it is worth upgrading to get the best out of the B&W's?

Thanks in advance! :)

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,956
    HK suffered badly not so long ago due to bad publicity revolving around the reliability of their AV receivers. THe receivers were plagued with software issues that even repeated firmware revisions failed to resolve. I'd try to ascertain what the current situation is in regards to reliability.

There's not a huge following for HK receivers here in the UK and many UK retailer no longer stock them after the previous bad publicity associated with them.

I'd generally suggest that you would indeed hear an improvement if increasing the available dynamic power.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  3. Soundmangt4

Soundmangt4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +970
    Ahh, I see, well that seems fair enough if they were unreliable! To be fair, my HK BDS system has been fantastic, but the main reason for the potential upgrade is the fully adjustable crossover points, as I am not convinced that the BDS I have isn't rolling off the low end to the B&W's, and relying on the sub too much.
    I'll see how it sounds when my new JBL sub arrives, and make a decision then. Thanks for the reply though.

4. Soundmangt4

Soundmangt4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +970
    Well, small update which proved dante01 100% correct! I spent the half hour crawling around behind my TV stand/cabinet carefully moving all the wiring from my BDS receiver over to my new AVR170, and after finally getting it all wired in turned it on.
    Then I started the setup process, labelling all inputs, setting crossovers and delays and then all of a sudden it just switched itself off. I turned it back on and it did it again, and then the power light started flashing! :mad: :thumbsdow
    So there you go, it's arrived brand new with a fault and now will not stay on for more than a second before returning to the flashing power state, even with nothing plugged into it, ruling out any wiring shorts even though I was positive there wasn't any in the first place.
    I have since returned to the BDS unit and all is fine again, and I will be returning the AVR170 for a refund and not wasting my time again!