Harman kardon AVR 235 wiring question

HighQ

If i connect my dvd player visual via component and sound via rca, my sky visual via yellow composite and sound via rca, my ps2 visual via yellow composite and sound via rca. I have component going to the projector will this amp audio and visually switch between all of these different sorces?

Also one last question, i just bought a mordant short msw20 sub which has two rca inputs ie red and white but the amp only has a singe rca out. How amp i supposed to connect it correctly?

Many thanks

sjj84

Have you got the amp already? If so look in the manual and it'll tell you what it can and can't do. If you haven't got it yet, then the manuals are downloadable on harman kardons website. I've just had an AVR245 delivered and it can do what you want, not sure about the 235.

oddfeld

I don't know that particular amp, but I would point out anyway that you won't be getting proper surround sound if you hook everything up via phono leads. You should be using optical or coax where possible. The red and white phono leads only carry stereo left and right audio signals, any surround sound will only be stuff that's decoded from the stereo source like Dolby Prologic, you won't get Dolby Digital. If you only have stereo speakers and not 5.1 or whatever, then please ignore me.

As for the sub, LFE is mono, you just hook up the subwoofer preout on your amp to the mono input on your sub (should be the left channel if it has 2 inputs).

HighQ

Hey guys thanks for the replys.

Is it best if i post all my equipment up and you tell me how to wire it as i want to get a proper 5.1 sound obviously. I never knew i couldnt get this with rcas.

Also could you please explain the sub bit again as im still a bit confused lol

oddfeld

There should be a phono socket on your amp labelled 'sub' or 'sub preout' or something similar - plug a phono lead from that into your sub. Your sub has left and right inputs, just use the left one as the low frequency channel is mono anyway, there's no need to split it into left and right. If the sub also has a load of speaker terminal type connections, ignore those and just use the left phono socket.

The latest video from AVForums

Dog Soldiers & Flatliners 4K, Black Phone, RRR & Mad God on digital, plus 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom