Harman Kardon 255 out now part 2. Merged with Firmware issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

bazonix

Prominent Member
Reaction score
This is a new thread for owners of the above amps to discuss problems and issues directly relating to the firmware or other issues that affect the end user performance.

After telephoning HK uk, a nice chap by the name of Trevor Cook has put me through to one of the chief designers of the avr in the Netherlands:

First of all I want to thank you for informing us of these problems experienced by several end users.

I can confirm that the bump noise is indeed in focus and that this is being worked on as a high priority issue.

We are planning to make a firmware update in Feb. which includes a fix for this bump noise as this is not fixed correctly in the latest firmware

Regarding the missing surround modes we will have to investigate this. Do you personally have this problem your self? Which firmware does your AVR have 93.1.1 or 95.1.1?

best regards

s

iv emailed 's' directly and he has promised a fix after an investigation, ill be in contact with him regarding a beta version and ill post on here as soon as something is developed.

thanx:smashin:

[MOD COMMENT: THESE TWO THREADS HAVE NOW BEEN MERGED AT THE REQUEST OF THE OP]

Last edited:
Finally got my AVR 255 setup with the Q-Acoustics 1010i 5.1 last night. WOW, how chuffed am I with the sound. Its really good :thumbsup:

I ran the auto setup on the speakers and then tested it as it had set it and it was awesome. The only thing I need to test when I get in later is if they sound better set to the 'large' settings that it chose or if they would be better at a higher crossover.

Pics later :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally got my AVR 255 setup with the Q-Acoustics 1010i 5.1 last night. WOW, how chuffed am I with the sound. Its really good :thumbsup:

I ran the auto setup on the speakers and then tested it as it had set it and it was awesome. The only thing I need to test when I get in later is if they sound better set to the 'large' settings that it chose or if they would be better at a higher crossover.

Pics later :D

try both ways, but thx recommend setting all speakers to small no matter the size and sett the croosver to 80hz. Thats the way mine is set even though my front speakers and centre speaker are quite large.

Great thread; been reading all the posts over the last few days. Very tempted (now most of the PS3 issues appear to be fixed). Chic, your knowledge on this amp has been extremely helpful in my decision whether to go for this or the Sony STRDA2400ES. Thanks!

Found the AVR-255 at Harman Kardon AVR255 7.1-Channel A/V receiver With HDMI™ 1.3a Repeater, Audio/Video Processing and Upscaling to 1080p for £429.00 delivered (although today they are out of stock). Checked with Atlantic 2U yesterday and they reduced their price today on the web-site to £469.99, have asked:Dif they'll drop below the Electro Centre price. If so my wallet will be lighter!

you wont regret getting the 255, it sounds fantastic, although there are still a few bugs which should be sorted. As for the ps3 most bugs are fixed and if you are using the ps3 for bluray/dvds or games there is no problems. The main bug at the moment is when using a stereo source over hdmi in that it wont let you use any multichannel processing to give you 5.1 from a stereo source. However stereo over optical from say sky hd will allow you to use the multichannel processing options.

I got my 255 from atlantic and the amp was delivered next day and i paid £469 for it and i love it. Check out this months home cinema choice mag as the 255 gets a best buy award.

Yes if I use a optical cable it works fine... but one of the reasons i got this AVR was because i want to use HDMI...
Before with my old Sony I had to switch optical cables all the time depending what to source device I used..

my problems is before new firmware HDMI was okay.. now it is not working.
I got the same type of problem on my PC connection over HDMI. I got picture but no sound. I haven't tried connecting the sound from the motherboard via optical cable to 255. And I haven't upgraded to the latest firmware yet either. Does the latest firmware solve the problem of not getting any sound over HDMI or what's the current situation? I got sound and visual via HDMI on PS3 but on the PC connection it doesn't seem to transport the sound.

I got the same type of problem on my PC connection over HDMI. I got picture but no sound. I haven't tried connecting the sound from the motherboard via optical cable to 255. And I haven't upgraded to the latest firmware yet either. Does the latest firmware solve the problem of not getting any sound over HDMI or what's the current situation? I got sound and visual via HDMI on PS3 but on the PC connection it doesn't seem to transport the sound.

have yo set your pc up to send sound over hdmi, also you have set up the 255 to get video and audio using the same hdmi input.

I dont think new firmware wont make any difference to your problem, however there is no harm in getting to see if it does fix the problem. However i would look at your pc first and maybe even try optical.

Hi , I am intending to buy new KEF IQ50/IQ60c speakers and would like to hear of any experience of those in a combination with AVR 255...

hello:thumbsup:

the 255 is great and will power the kefs ok, but with those speakers...maybe u should try the avr355? the extra power may help them sound better.....i havent heard the new iqx0 range but im currently using their older brothers iq5 and iq6c.. they sound good with the 255.... esp if u have a good sub:D

nice one:smashin:

Last edited:
Hi all, I bought yesterday the AVR 355. It's wonderful but I have two important questions (at least for me):

1 - I have a Sony LCD 40" TV connected to the AVR by HDMI 1.3 cable (HDMI out port on the receiver). This TV has an integrated DTT (Digital Terrestrial) decoder (like most LCD TVs in europe), and I want to listen the TV audio from the receiver. How I can do this? If I setup the TV input of the receiver I can only choose between the various "sources" in the AVR menu, but not the "HDMI out" as a source, so how the audio from the TV can go to the receiver through the single HDMI cable I have?

2 - the other question is that my main source is an HTPC with an ATI 4670 graphic card connected to the HDMI1 input through a DVI to HDMI cable supplied with the card (it passes the audio too, so no optical audio cable is needed). How can I map 1:1 the resolution of the screen through the AVR355? (If I connect the HTPC directly to the Sony I get easily the 1:1 mapping).

Thank you so much. Fabio

Hi all, I bought yesterday the AVR 355. It's wonderful but I have two important questions (at least for me):

1 - I have a Sony LCD 40" TV connected to the AVR by HDMI 1.3 cable (HDMI out port on the receiver). This TV has an integrated DTT (Digital Terrestrial) decoder (like most LCD TVs in europe), and I want to listen the TV audio from the receiver. How I can do this? If I setup the TV input of the receiver I can only choose between the various "sources" in the AVR menu, but not the "HDMI out" as a source, so how the audio from the TV can go to the receiver through the single HDMI cable I have?

Thank you so much. Fabio

check the back of your tv for an optical out, you cant send audio back through your hdmi cable from your tv to the 355. Your tv should have an optical out which you would connect an optical table fro your tv to an optical port on your tv and then you would assign the optical port you used to say the tv input on the 355. When whatching digital tv you would select the tv input on the 355 anD SELECT YOUR TV INPUT ON YOUR SONNY

How has everyone got on with programming the remote to control other devices? I have my 255 still in its box, waiting for my Panny BD-35, new 360 and cables to arrive (and a spare weekend:) ) before setting everything up. Flicking through the manual I noticed it can be programmed to control other equipment. I currently have a Logitech Harmony 1000 remote, I'm looking at selling this on if the Harmony can control all my devices correctly.

Last edited:
- How can I map 1:1 the resolution of the screen through the AVR355? (If I connect the HTPC directly to the Sony I get easily the 1:1 mapping)

hello:thumbsup:

there are known issues with the avr 255 and HTPC's via HDMI... u must email Harman direct to log the problem.

Hi there
I noticed that firmware upgrades can only be done with a Windows based machine. Would anyone know if they plan to make software available to Mac users.

Thanks

right iv emailed again,

hi,
I have has a couple more queries thrown at me with regard to the avr 255/355:
1, is the firmware compatible for MAC users?
there is no mention of that on the firmware upgrade section on the HK website
2, HTPC users are experiencing problems with the AVR via HDMI.... 1:1 mapping is unavailable and the picture is of low resolution..
3,is there anyway that a complete 'pass-through' of HDMI could be implemented?
thanx a lot

Hi
1 – I am sorry but the Firmware update is for Windows users only.
2 – I am not sure I understand this question? As the AVR 255-355 is HDMI certified (which is by far not all HDMI equipment that is) there should be no problems running HDMI from a PC or Home media centre. I advice that People first checks if there are any firmware updates available for their HDMI source.
3 . This is not a firmware question but a hardware question. It will require a new hardware design to implement a passt hrough on the AVR 255-355, so the answer is "no". Our soon-to-come AVR 660 and 760 will have direct pass through option.
Best regards

Last edited:
Thanks a lot bazonix. Can u telle me what is the email address to email HK?

However I successfully installed the latest firmware on my 355 (9.5.1.1. if I remember). But the problem still persist, and the only solution is to connect the HTPC directly to the TV :(

hi:thumbsup:

the email is relative to the country you are in.... its on the website.... i have a direct email for the designer of the avr255 and i have passed on ur message:

the response was to check the firmware relative to the actual outputting HDMI source..... but i have tried connecting my laptop via the 255 and it doesnt look right either...

the 95.1.1 firmware is not really of any use, there will be a new firmware as stated hopefully in feb:smashin:

Last edited:
update:

q:was pass through purposely ommited from the design of the avr 255/355? have u compared a display that is connected directly or via the avr's side by side?
i have a 1080p/24 plasma and the results i found were that the 255 slightly darkened the PQ but in blu-ray the end result was still stunning (batman dark knight for example ref:blacks on the costume) and people would be hard pushed to tell the difference...
this is my second avr 255 as when i used the on board video modes previously the amp refused to hand shake with any of my HDMI equipped devices... the retailer deemed it may be at fault and kindly sent me a replacement.

it is now switched off on my second machine... am i missing anything?
thanx again

ans:
Hi again
1 – Comparison. The used upscaler "Faroudja" in the AVR 255-355 is considered as one of the best (if not the best) in this segment. Whether it is a weak point in the setup can be discussed as it is also working as a buffer to minimize problems like length of cables etc.
This has been compared to a true bypass yes in our QI department and we have found nothing that indicates that the signal should be any worse than any screen makes it when it processes the signal. Neither have we received any reports (actually you are the first) at all about the actual picture on the AVR 255-355 should be any worse than the original source picture so this is more a specification discussion rather than a real life experience discussion.
2 – Video modes. As stated in the Owners manual this is for fine tuning alone. We recommend that the screen is first finetuned for the best performance and the AVR can be fine tuned if necessary. If you are happy with the result we advice you keep the default settings.
Best regards

:smashin:

Last edited:
I will hopefully get a chance to do a qualitative test on the 'passthrough' ability of the AVR255 next week when my Pioneer KRP-500M arrives.I sincerely hope that video(especially of hidef material e.g.bluray) is passed through untouched or at least there is no discernible difference at my viewing distance of 7ft.Ive arguably bought the best tv in terms of pq at the minute,the last thing i want/need is for the AVR255 to degrade the pq.
Thanks bazonix for establishing this contact with HK.

just setting my 255 up now, had a look at the picture last night and it does look much darker from my pioneer blu ray to my pioneer panel. am getting a bit worried i have a lemon. the picture also judders. why are manufactures releasing unfinished products?

just setting my 255 up now, had a look at the picture last night and it does look much darker from my pioneer blu ray to my pioneer panel. am getting a bit worried i have a lemon. the picture also judders. why are manufactures releasing unfinished products?

what firmware are you on? If you have the old firmware the 255 takes a 1080/60 from your blueray and converts to 1080/50 and hence the judder. The new firmware adds a 50/60hz auto detect so the 255 will switch to output 60hz for bluray. If you dont want the firmware you can switch the 255 to 60hz mode by putting the unit into stand by and by double clicking and holding the back/exit button (on the front of the amp) down on the second click untill the unit switches on and it should say pal to ntsc on. THis should improve the judder. However the best fix is the newer firmware.

This is what worries me..a degradation of pq because there is no passthorugh option(the faroudja chip still processes the signal) :(
Obviously i'll see for myself when my Pioneer plasma arrives but just in case,is there any type of HDMI splitter device that will allow me to send the video straight to the tv and the audio only to the HK as i would need the hdmi-HK for lossless hd audio???

is there any type of HDMI splitter device that will allow me to send the video straight to the tv and the audio only to the HK

this should be possible if the splitter will output a double signal at the same time, but iv done a lot of testing over the last 48hrs and like i said before, the picture is only slightly darker...

my fix for this is to set the display to mimic the appearance of the blu-ray player when connected directly... then all i do is go to the saved setting and swith the settings over when watching via the 255... its a 30second job!!

but, lets get this straight, all of us will have different displays, blu ray players and cable lengths.... HD 1080 is only visible at certain distances:

1080p Does Matter - Here's When (Screen Size vs. Viewing Distance vs. Resolution) » CarltonBale.com

and as always, we will all have different abilities to detail certain colours, due to the simple fact we're not robots!! there are so many variable factors in home cinema.... until i optimised my plasma properly i had been happy watching what was actually quite a poor picture for ages!! so buy the plasma of ur choice people, the HK will still stun u when u watch a blu ray film..... im smiling :)

:smashin:

i cant notice any problems with any of my kit which includes sky hd,xbox360,ps3,samsung bdp1500 and toshiba e30 all connected by hdmi and my picture does not look dark at all and to be honest doesnt look any different to when i had them connected to my old amp which had a pass through. The only thing that looked poor is when i had my xbox 360 connected ny component and this did make it to dark for my so i connected straight to the tv. I now have a hdmi 360 and it looks fine connected through the 255.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom