1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harman/ Kardan????

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Darko, Oct 23, 2005.

1. Darko

Darko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    Am looking to replace my Pioneer av amp as it gave up the ghost today I am looking to spend between £250-£350 SWMBO would rather £250 but I saw this and wondered what you thought

Harman/Kardon AVR-135

If not what would you suggest any ideas.

Cheers Darko

2. Mentally

Mentally

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What speakers do you have?

Have you heard the reciever with your speakers?

3. Darko

Darko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    No I have not, I am currently using a set of pioneer surround speakers, I was also looking at the Marantz 4400

4. Mentally

Mentally

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I highly recommend to hear the reciever with your speakers because every company produces recievers with a different sound. A wrong combination can result in a flat sound.

5. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    The Marantz 4400 is by far the better prospect. Also consider an STR-DB795 if you can still find one (Superfi?) as these are excellent value at the moment but there are not many left.

6. Mentally

Mentally

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What exactly makes the Marantz so superior over the HK or other products in this range like the Denon 1905?

7. steve998

steve998

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the Harmon Kardon AV330 last year (£600). I tried it against the equivilant Denon an Yamaha amps. I thought the Harmon sounded far 'larger' and accurate. Dont know why Harmon amps dont sell that well in the UK.

Very subjective, but my experience with Harmon is that they are more honest with their specifications (my 55 watts per channel is based on ALL channels being driven, not the 100 WPC that the competitors often use based on driving 2 or 1 speaker at unrealistic distortion figures) plus the Harmon gear is very good in stereo as well.

Sorry cant comment on the Marantz.

8. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    I said better prospect. By that read "a better chance of getting one at a very good price" or even "a better prospect of selling when you want to upgrade". steve998's comment about the popularity of HK products may factor into the latter.

HK products are not hugely popular in the UK. It may be their styling. They have a look you like or don't, much like the love hate relationship with Nads stuff. It probably has a lot to do with their honesty about power outputs, making the casual observer choose the more 'powerful' (and shinier) Japanese opposition. After having read more about the way they amplify I am actually impressed by their approach. However for me HK carries a lot of baggage about reliability and ease of operation that I have yet to shake off. And for me, in the Sony and Marantz there is cheaper and (arguably) better. I will readily admit it is a largely subjective opinion though. Listening would be prudent but often at that price point an audition is not on the cards.

9. steve998

steve998

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    'However for me HK carries a lot of baggage about reliability and ease of operation that I have yet to shake off.'

I cant comment on reliability, I have heard horror stories about Harmon Kardon support, I have to admit that I had a 'query' with Logic 7 and e-mailed to their 'HELPDESK' Not very helpful and I got a response 8 weeks after I sent the original query!

I also agree that they are a pain to work out, the manuals are very comprehensive, but HK equipment definately needs a 'quick start' manual. I bought my amp 14 months ago and I am still finding out new features, even after reading the manual many times.

HK won me over on sound quality and design. Cost of ownership is prob higher as a) discounts not so readily available due to lack of demand and b) re-sale value is prob not great.
    BUT HK are INDIVIDUAL and I was prepared to pay a premium for that.

Cant remember what the HK-AV135 features are, but if you dont need pre-outs and multi-room etc, then no need to pay extra for features that you dont need. Sound quality is the most important.

(I wanted pre-outs hence the HK330 choice)

10. Darko

Darko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    I love the feed back gents and you all put a good case forward pros & cons and as steve998 states they have a reputation for there honest power discriptions and for me the styling won me over,
    I know what you mean when you say they have a love it or hate it look as most of my office reckon it looks dated however I am in the same boat as steve cause I think it looks individual but the bottom line is the sound quality after all the looks are worth very little if the sound is under par, So it is good to hear that the sound is good.
    The Marantz was also in my short list but as you say they are hard to get hold of Tribal uk have said that if I order the 4500 now they can get it from main dealer for me (£220) all in. pretty good deal but I really like the HK.

Thanks again and any other opinions (good or Bad) are welcome

Cheers Darko