Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey (7 February 2020)

Rate me

• Total voters
D8418423-ED25-4049-A5E6-AA26D49D9EE5.jpeg

I guess they didn’t want it to be pigeon-holed as a Harleyquin movie??

I guess they don’t want to admit that they got it wrong.

Still not seen it yet. I will at some point provided it stays around long enough and there aren’t other films that I’d father see.

It is Sonic the Hedgehog this weekend, I never thought I’d see the day when I would choose that over a DC blockbuster. Usually I see DC and Marvell films within the first few days of release paying extra on top of Cineworld Unlimited for IMAX, huge fan of Harley but this just doesn’t appear to me - the main reason is that Harley should not be in Birds of Prey, she is not a hero - they should have made it as a Gotham City Sirens film.

Cheers,

Nigel

Last edited:
Second viewing tonight. Really enjoyed it yet again. Same goes for my mate who came with, and felt it was one of 'Worlds of DC's stronger efforts. I still have a few niggles; the fact that the girls' success in battle is completely contingent upon the bad guys being the most useless and accomodating combatants since the original Batman tv series. John Wick would kill them all in the blink of an eye. And the man-bashing (whether you acknowledge it or not) is still too over-done for me. If they'd toned it down just a little (10% would do) it would come across a little more balanced. Much like Captain Marvel, it's an unrequited love: I like the film, the film doesn't like me. There is also a bit of a hiatus where the film loses steam; roundabout the time Harley goes to the restaurant. That was the only time boredom threatened to make an appearance.

That aside, it's just crazy entertaining. I liked the other characters more this time, and Margot's Harley is just outstanding. I like that shes a bit of an arsehole, and performance wise its got to be in her top 10. Action scenes are terrific (well, for the most part) and exhilarating; and the 'Guy Ritchie' stylings and disjointed narrative work well for me and keep it deliciously spicy. It's a buy for sure. Upping my score to 7.5/10

I still have a few niggles; the fact that the girls' success in battle is completely contingent upon the bad guys being the most useless and accomodating combatants since the original Batman tv series. John Wick would kill them all in the blink of an eye.

Bennett:
Your soldiers are nothing. Matrix and I can kill every one of them *snaps finger*
in the blink of an eye. Remember that.

Last edited:
It was alright. 5/10...As big bad guys go, Ewan McGregor was pathetic, he literally does nothing except don a black mask, sulk and talk nonsense.

The film was so focused on being feminist and anti-male it forgot to include a meaningful plot, although some of the dialogue is good.

The overly choreographed final fight was just...really poor...look closely and in the background you can see extras just waving their arms around. They have to play the soundtrack really loud to disguise the fact that it isnt as good as they thought it would be...and they knew it.

^^^

About Time is worth a look if you can tolerate Richard Curtis rom coms - I know he’s not everyone’s cuppa tea but I find him to be the celluloid equivalent of easy listening.

Margot only has a small role in her film debut but she looks absolutely sensational. Plus, the always lovely Rachel McAdams is in it too as a Brucie bonus!

Z for Zachariah is missing there @lucasisking - she's the main star so lots of screen time to gawp at :D

Not surprised it's faltering slightly. The trailer for it is terrible and will likely put off more people than it will entice to watch it.

Pretty bad though when the targets now seem to have been set to "break even". I imagine they envisaged that they would make very good profits on this.

They keep comparing it with Suicide Squad as if that was a total failure - but that ended up making $745m on a $175m budget - BOP is not close to that success yet.

Cheers,

Nigel

Caught this over the weekend. It’s mediocre at best, full of intangible scenarios. Implausible from start to end. Giving it a 4/10 would be harsh though, I’d say it just about scapes a 5.

Caught this over the weekend. It’s mediocre at best, full of intangible scenarios. Implausible from start to end. Giving it a 4/10 would be harsh though, I’d say it just about scapes a 5.
You were always on to a loser if the main thing you wanted from this was plausibility.

Last edited:
It's based on a comic-book / cartoon. Of course it's going to lack a little realism. It's Harley.

Watched it last night and really enjoyed it. Great fun. Little sprinklings of Joker, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World and Deadpool, with a strong cast putting in solid performances. 7/10.

Kill it with fire.

Makes Tank Girl look like Citizen Kane.

Seems that Birds of Prey is going to be a roaring success after all - on course to be the fourth highest grossing film of 2020.

Now convince me that Coronavirus wasn’t started by Cathy Yan :)

Cheers,

Nigel

Anyone got confirmation of where the HDRs are at?

I'm seeing Microsoft so far ... aaaaaaaaaand that seems to be it o_O

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom