1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harkness Hall Grey screen

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by camtheman, Mar 18, 2003.

1. camtheman

camtheman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone tried this screen material from Harkness? What is it like? Does it dull the picture a lot? Is it worth the price and are there any other screen fabric companies I can order material from? I want to upgrade to another pj from my AE100 a year or two from now - would this screen then suit a pj which has true blacks?
    The trouble with Harkness is most of the screens they provide seem to be geared towards large venues. When looking at the spec sheets most of the screens have a minimum viewing distance of 5m - all due to the screen perforations, and the smaller perfs/no perfs screens are considerably more expensive.
    Also does anyone know where to get a good hoya filter from somewhere in UK( or London)? I don't want to wait for a USA import.
    For me the choice is either a grey screen or a filter with a white screen. I've been thinking about this a lot and I think I'll be happy with one or the other but not both at the same time as I don't want to go overboard on the blacks and thus destroy the vibrant colours I get from my AE100.

Thanks

2. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    If you ask them they will send you samples, at least they did to me.:smashin:

I ask for the grey .8 gain screen with a sample of matte white and 1.4 gain to compare against. They also sent a piece of the grey .4 gain screen to.

The .8 grey screen looked good but dimmed the picture. The Matte white was nice and bright and had good colours. With the 1.4 at my viewing distance I could see the texture on the vinyl.

I also got samples from DRH screens and ended up getting a matte white roll up screen from them.

DRH also sell just the material.
    As the screen I got has slight waves I'm thinking of cutting off the material and making my own frame anyway.

Colour filters can be bought from SRB filters
    I think they do Hoya but will also custom make their own filters for you.

HTH

3. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi Camtheman,

Welcome to the Forums !:hiya:

Can't really comment on your questions, but should point out that a perf screen with LCD is a no-no - the pixel structure and perfs interact to give a moire effect. I haven't seen reports here of users with micro-perf with LCD, but you should try samples first to see how it works out.

There's not a great deal of discussion of self-build screen materials here, and more's the pity; If you do get samples, be sure to tell the rest of us the result of your testing and how you get along.

Please sign in on Timh's thread for AE100 owners, if you've not already done so.

Thanks,

Sean G.

4. GazzB

GazzB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,
    on the subject of self build screens, has anyone tried 'Screen Goo'?
    I have been reading some articles on it in another forum & I'm curious to hear any comments you might have..