Hardy Shrubs

• Thread starter Deleted member 174041
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 174041

I'm after a similar shrub to a Lavatera in the fact that it grows pretty fast and very big.

For the past two years my Lavatera has died due to the cold so I want something hardy.

It needs to grow very tall and hopefully flower.

Im after some shrubs too
Something suitable for hedging but that can be easily controlled(only want about four foot in height) and ideally some form of flowering

Guess would need six or eight shrubs in total and would like to alternate them so the first is a Summer Flowering bush and the second a winter flowering

Just no idea what to get

The last few I got where far from bushy

Im after some shrubs too
Something suitable for hedging but that can be easily controlled(only want about four foot in height) and ideally some form of flowering

Guess would need six or eight shrubs in total and would like to alternate them so the first is a Summer Flowering bush and the second a winter flowering

Just no idea what to get

The last few I got where far from bushy

What did you get out of interest?

For the past two years my Lavatera has died due to the cold so I want something hardy.

It needs to grow very tall and hopefully flower.

Ceanothus - Californian Lilac are nice but I'm not sure hardy they are.

Maybe you need a patio heater... :D

Last edited:
can i suggest you buy a copy of this book which is cheap and fairly comprehensive.It will tell you most things you need to know although it wouldnt give you all the names of the different cultivars and varieties of each shrub yu can buy.For example you'll get maybe 3-4 cultivars of forsythia etc.Havibng said that always read the label of each shrub you think of buying
The Tree & Shrub Expert (Expert books): Amazon.co.uk: Dr. D. G. Hessayon: Books,
Lavatera is unusual as it has a long flowering season, most will only flower for a few weeks.Fuschia does as well but most are small.
Main thing i would suggest is having a variety of plants with different flowering times both evergreen and deciduous and at differing heights .Also bear in mind growing conditions- sun/ shade , soil type - acid, alkaline heavy clay, sandy free draining etc.Finally dont ignore leaf colour for that is what you'll see most of the time -green red yellow variegated and blueish grey.
Have a good read of that book before making any decissions

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Escallonias are hardy, even over the last 4 winters, in the majority of the country. Nice glossy foliage which smells wonderful after summer rain, and pink, white or red flowers. 'Crimson Spire' as the name implies is a fast erect grower, excellent for hedging.

A few months ago someone was leaving and they were given this plant pot that was basically a grass. They were told it never dies and you can "forget" to water it and stuff and it will spring back to life for when you do remember

Knowing nothing about gardening I have no name but I figure that is enough for any real gardener to go on :laugh:

Slightly off topic but does anyone know how I take cuttings of an Ivy plant? It's growing all over my fence on one side but I want to try and grow it behind the conifers with an aim to removing the conifers completely once the Ivy has grown enough to provide some privacy.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom