Hardware reserved RAM!? Only 8GB usable from 16GB! SOLVED

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
Anyone had this issue before? I have just installed 16GB of RAM (4 x 4GB) and I am currently finding that 8GB is showing as hardware reserved? I know Grangey had a similar problem a while ago but I can't seem to find the thread :confused:

Attachments

Last edited:

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
is the bios on your mobo uptodate?

it sounds a bit random but i did read a thread saying enable memory hole mapping in the bios. This makes no sense to me on a 64bit os - i thought it was 32bit only, buti was googling your problem whilst boored installing the new cars beta and that was 1 answer.

Last edited:

Chox1988

Distinguished Member
Memory hole mapping or a max set memory in msconfig would be my first ports of call.

Is it a fully new matched set of 4x4?

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
I checked all the usual first ports of call.

Memory Mapping was enabled in BIOS :thumbsup:

Running 64bit OS :thumbsup:

Entered Config in Win7 and checked there was no max memory set in Boot options :thumbsup:

Then I stumbled across a post talking about quad channel kits in dual channel machines :lesson: So it seems that if you are on a platform with dual channel memory you need to ensure you insert your quad channel kit in numbered order! On my Mobo the light blue slots are 1 & 2 and the black ones are 3 & 4. So it was a case of just getting them swapped about and voila! No running my full 16GB of memory :clap: The giveaway was in BIOS. I checked system info and my BIOS was only recognising 8GB where as windows was seeing all 16GB but reading on 8GB usable.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom