Hardware reserved RAM!? Only 8GB usable from 16GB! SOLVED

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
Anyone had this issue before? I have just installed 16GB of RAM (4 x 4GB) and I am currently finding that 8GB is showing as hardware reserved? I know Grangey had a similar problem a while ago but I can't seem to find the thread :confused:

324577d1342109519-hardware-reserved-ram-ram-issue.jpg

Attachments

• RAM issue.jpg
    RAM issue.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 1,447
Last edited:

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
is the bios on your mobo uptodate?

it sounds a bit random but i did read a thread saying enable memory hole mapping in the bios. This makes no sense to me on a 64bit os - i thought it was 32bit only, buti was googling your problem whilst boored installing the new cars beta and that was 1 answer.

Last edited:

Chox1988

Distinguished Member
Memory hole mapping or a max set memory in msconfig would be my first ports of call.

Is it a fully new matched set of 4x4?

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
I checked all the usual first ports of call.

Memory Mapping was enabled in BIOS :thumbsup:

Running 64bit OS :thumbsup:

Entered Config in Win7 and checked there was no max memory set in Boot options :thumbsup:

Then I stumbled across a post talking about quad channel kits in dual channel machines :lesson: So it seems that if you are on a platform with dual channel memory you need to ensure you insert your quad channel kit in numbered order! On my Mobo the light blue slots are 1 & 2 and the black ones are 3 & 4. So it was a case of just getting them swapped about and voila! No running my full 16GB of memory :clap: The giveaway was in BIOS. I checked system info and my BIOS was only recognising 8GB where as windows was seeing all 16GB but reading on 8GB usable.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom