1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Problem - Quick Analysis

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by scrapbook, Mar 18, 2005.

1. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Currently having problems with a homebuilt computer. It has been running excellent for 5 months, but all of a sudden it seems to be having a major meltdown.

It started off crashing on a regular basis and not starting up.

When I go into the BIOS now it freezes quite quickly, if the BIOS starts up at all.

because it freezes in the BIOS I am assuming this rules out such things as hard drives etc? (also because if i let the computer run past the BIOS Win XP loads fine)

Also when I am in the the BIOS after about 10 seconds the typing gets all mixed up. ie. floppy may change to fl&pyp etc etc

It all seems to me to be motherboard / BIOS problems....can mobo's pack in after working well fot 5 months??

is there any other possibilites? I am assuming that if it were the processor the whole thing was shut up shop?

2. mrmoo

mrmoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Reseat the memory and cpu fan. Overheating or bad contacts can cause wierdness. Otherwise the PSU/MB/Memory might have develop a fault. Run a memory checker from a boot disk.

3. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Overheating was my first thought....was running at 52C when checked earler..is that normal?

Have just tried a different cpu i hadlaying around...same probs...got to be the mobo surely (he hopes!)?

4. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Hmmmm changed my mind now...think it might have been the processor. put the new one back in...a good shove of the heatsink and now it seems stable (i.e. not crashing after 20 secs).

too late to put it to the acid test....the kids playing the sims! Will see tomorrow.

Seems strange though..not sure how the cpu would have come slightly loose

5. mrmoo

mrmoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    They do, its called creep. Every time you switch on/off it expands/contracts and things move. Best bet, never turn it off it will last forever, off course your electricity bill will suffer.