Hardware issues Microsoft not interested

Charlie mac

Novice Member
Xbox one s crashed a couple of times playing CoD Warzone, I checked and updated the console software but once installed it would start but not run and shoes a e 102 message.

I’ve tried both reset options but neither run. I’ve downloaded the offline system update (following each step) but when I press the offline system it beeps and returns to the somethings wrong page and shows an e101 error.

With the system down for a few days and moaning kids I’ve just gone out to buy a series s but now find I can’t download copies of the physical games without buying them again.

The options I have are:

Send the old Xbox one s in for repair ( it’s two months out of warranty) at a cost of £175.

Continue with series s (£249) and re purchase various games we have on disk at a cost of say £150.

Take the series s back as being unfit for required purpose and wait until I can source an Xbox series x at c £450 ( kids would love the x but hate the wait!)

Find a way of being able to download the games I’ve previously bought at no cost.....Microsoft support team can you help?

Why o why did I updated the Xbox software in the first place!

Just managed to speak to Microsoft support and they’re not interested. They’re telling me to speak to each of the game manufacturers and ask for a discount if I download the digital version of their game! Ive tried to escalate within Microsoft and I am literally getting ‘ the computer says no’

can anyone offer any help / suggestions?

reecie

Under EU law (which probably got carried forward) you have a 2 year warranty. After that you could try a faulty product claim under the Consumer Rights Act. Just updating the OS seems like it would fall under that.

The rest of the Series S and disk products issue is down to you buying the wrong thing. You either have a digital licence which is what the Series S can only use or a disk based licence for which you need a disk drive. So to use your existing on disk games you need a console with a disk drive as that is where the licence is read from. It is hardly MS or the game manufacturers fault you bought the wrong console. Sucks for you but that is what it is unfortunately.

Waynej

Distinguished Member
*If your console has corrupted after a normal software update, Xbox support should have advised you to try a manual USB update - instructions are here Xbox Support
—Nevermind, it appears you have tried the above. —

Failing that, I’ll assume your One S is getting on several years old, which probably means your are out of luck with a free solution. However, if it was purchased from Amazon you could try explaining the situation with them on live chat. I once had a refund for a faulty PS4 outside of warranty. That’ll no doubt be a rarity though.

As for the Series S, you can hardly claim it’s unfit for purpose as it’s purposefully built to play digital games, not disc. However, consumers are known to make mistakes. If you bought it expecting it could play discs, and you have opened it, inspected it - and shockingly discovered that it can not do so. I do believe you are within your right to return it. If you’ve had it for longer than 30 days that may be harder to justify. If it was purchased as a Birthday gift and you have only recently discovered your oversight, a decent retailer may be more helpful in such a circumstance.

Last edited:

Indiana Jones

Probably best returning the Series S and picking up a second hand One S or One X from the likes of Cex or this very forum.

reecie

The other option is Gamepass. If it covers most of what you have or more then sell the disks and use the money towards it. By doing the various upgrade tricks you should be able to get 3 years worth for sub £100. Just make sure you know how to do it before initially buying it though.

Eamo26

Standard Member
The other option is Gamepass. If it covers most of what you have or more then sell the disks and use the money towards it. By doing the various upgrade tricks you should be able to get 3 years worth for sub £100. Just make sure you know how to do it before initially buying it though.
How does this upgrade trick work? I have a series s I've had two months paid subscription under one of the 3 profiles on it. Could i still obtain 3 years game pass for less than 100 pounds? Thanks

iwb100

Distinguished Member
What disc games do you have? A serious question here is whether it’s not cheaper just to keep the series S and re buy those games as some may be on gamepass. If it’s loads then obviously an issue. Guess it also depends how old your One S is. If out of warranty then give up with that and decide if Series S or X will do.

apolloa

Distinguished Member
Xbox one s crashed a couple of times playing CoD Warzone, I checked and updated the console software but once installed it would start but not run and shoes a e 102 message.

I’ve tried both reset options but neither run. I’ve downloaded the offline system update (following each step) but when I press the offline system it beeps and returns to the somethings wrong page and shows an e101 error.

With the system down for a few days and moaning kids I’ve just gone out to buy a series s but now find I can’t download copies of the physical games without buying them again.

The options I have are:

Send the old Xbox one s in for repair ( it’s two months out of warranty) at a cost of £175.

Continue with series s (£249) and re purchase various games we have on disk at a cost of say £150.

Take the series s back as being unfit for required purpose and wait until I can source an Xbox series x at c £450 ( kids would love the x but hate the wait!)

Find a way of being able to download the games I’ve previously bought at no cost.....Microsoft support team can you help?

Why o why did I updated the Xbox software in the first place!

Just managed to speak to Microsoft support and they’re not interested. They’re telling me to speak to each of the game manufacturers and ask for a discount if I download the digital version of their game! Ive tried to escalate within Microsoft and I am literally getting ‘ the computer says no’

can anyone offer any help / suggestions?

Well I’m not sure what consumer protections we now have having left the EU? I would call Microsoft and demand to speak to a manager as their update broke your console.
Otherwise I would check your physical games are playable on the Series X as not all are, most but not all:

You may have a favourite of your kids that doesn’t work for example. If your happy your games work then I guess send the Series S back and wait for the Series X. But with the chip shortages we have then you may be waiting a bit.

MarkyPancake

Distinguished Member
The 101 and 102 errors you describe sound like your One S hard drive is failing. I had similar issues with my One X a couple of years ago.

As my console was out of warranty and a mint condition Scorpio Edition, the cheapest option for me was to follow some online guides and replace the internal hard drive myself, which I did and put an SSD in it.

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom