1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Decoding

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by evolution400, Sep 5, 2005.

1. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I am aware of what nvidia cards support the hardware decoding for HD etc
    What about ATI cards anyone have a list ?
    I have an "ATI Sapphire 9600XT ultimate" and it appears that this card supports hardware decoding when I thought it was only the X series of ATI cards.
    Well the strange this is the hardware decoding work fine for TV, DVD etc but when I play any HD TS files in MCE I get a flicker every 3 or 4 seconds but if I play the TS file with WM player then its flawless ?
    I tried a mates nvidia 6200 card and that again plays fine with WM player but with MCE after "X" amount of time it will show the blue screen and say "media center has encountered an error cannot play the file."
    I did some tests on DVD and TV and could not nitice any difference between the 2 cards either in fact I thought the ATI was slighly better for displaying TV footage although this could be the default colour scheme, contrast etc are better on the ATI.

2. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    ATI update I managed to resolve the flickering issue which was present within MCE when watching and TS files by altering the interlacer from best to combine fields it now plays flawlessly and when playing a TS 1080p file my cpu usage has dropped from about 90% to below 40% which is great as I can now underclock my cpu as there is no need for it to run very high.
    I haven't bothered with the nvidia 6200 maybe this will resolve the non plackback issue to but I am happy with my ATI card and see no improvement going to the nvidia 6200 I don't know much about graphics cards so I am not suer if any of the more expensive models provide even better picture etc.

3. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    Hardware Decoding is a Joke I have DXVA disabled as it gives me scan lines during SD and HD Mpeg 2.....what was that method you used to changed the interlacer?...I use Win DVD 7 and Media Player can play .ts files fine everytime...

4. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    No when its working as I said it drastically reduces your CPU !
    I use nvidia pure video codec latest version when running live tv or decoding any mpg 2 you can minimize mce and then you notice a NVIDIA symbol you clcik that and you get interlace options right hand side it is set as default to "best" this works great for everything except HD i.e TS files you then change it to "combine fields" then it will play flawlessly in MCE strange thing though is even if it is set to "best" I can play the TS files perfectly in WMP10.
    Really speeds up your system when watching HD though thats for sure.

5. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    hmm.. you get scan lines in DVD playback when using DXVA hardware playback, you might not notice them but they are there, I don't use DXVA, I rely on my CPU to do all the decoding...so I get smooth playback everytime....DXVA is a waste of time, I just use VMR and Overlay in media player...

6. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I too had scan lines/flickering whatever you want to call it until I altered that setting thats what I am trying to tell you.
    and its not a waste of time if it reduces your CPU load to 30 - 40% as far as I am concerned if you suffer on picture then yes but now that I have changed that setting It is perfect so to me its excllent now I have my cpu set at 2ghz CPU temp is 39 - %40 fan speed is CPU fan 1500rpm so quiet as a mouse and performs excellent :)

7. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    The Nividia codec, is lousy it terms of .ts fliels playabck, i know cause i have testes all the dvd codecs, nivida codec will not open up all .ts streams only some, with media player 10..best codec to use is windvd 7, just register .ts files to play back with media player and they play perfectly everytime, and no scan lines, and no grey bar at the bottom, elecard dvd decoder is ok, but it requiers to much tweaking and you get the grey bar at the bottom.., my 2.8GHZ P4 with HT is enough to play back both 1080P WMVHD and 1080i MPEG 2 at the same time, and still have enough power to record a tv show, all with the Win DVD 7 Decoder, I tired using DXVA with .ts files and only get a 7% cpu usage drop, not worth it though as I get scna lines...i'm sitcking with RAW CPU power for decoding, and yes my PC is Loud, but it's stable....I even haev theat Zalaman flower cooler on my Graphics card, and no on Normlal mode it is quite loud, if you stick it on silent you cannot hear it but you get a 10 Degree Temp Rise on the GPU, better to be safe than sorry...oh one note, my CPU fan is quiet and has idle tmeps of 40 degrees and rises to 45 Degrees when Playing back HD content...not bad at all...

8. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I also have tested all the decoders and I find the nvidia codec to be the best because of the hardware decoding I dont have any of the problems your going on about and I bet if we took a pole on here majority of people are using the nvidia codec. I also have the elecard codec version 2.3.2 installed and whenever I play back any HD AVI files it plays them perfectly no black/grey bar or scaning at all. I use a combination of the 2 so if the nvidia cant play them then it will use the elecard both work very well. I have tried windvd 7 as you say because I posted on here that I couldnt get it to work which is why I came up with the solution to combine elecard and nvidia codecs my system uses the elecard to play all HD AVI files and NVIDIA to play all TS files and I fine them both excellent no stutters, scanning or any bars at all.
    If your using your CPU to decode you have a 2.8 I have a 2.4ghz if your looking at the raw power. I playback 1080p full screen I get anywhere between 90 and 100% cpu usage with no hardware decode so you must be getting 70 - 80% ish and there is no way that you run 45 on your CPU temp P4's run much hotter than XP chips I run 1.45v through mine to obtain 2.4ghz I bet yours is closer to 1.75v and if your watching HD 1080p full screen there is no way your temp will stay below 50 for long unless you have your fan set to a loud level which for most people is unacceptable.
    My GPU is fanless and I have the ATI utility set to notify me of dangerous temps etc and it never does reach anything close.
    Oh yes and my system even though its overclocked is 100% stable as you will know if you overclock at all you use a combination of voltage and FSB speed then once your happy you run a testing tool such as SANDRA ;)
    I just want to keep this thread accurate you may have problems with nvidia codec but I along with many others don't please dont slate it when you have clearly not tried all the settings, it is not very good for users wanting to change to this codec to take advantage of the excellent hardware decoding facility.

9. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    I have a Northwood, core, so HAHA does not run hot like the Precott ones, and I have 2GB or RAM and a WD Raptor, so my system flies, without any overclocking...all my recordings are done to a secondary drive as are my storage needs..put it this way there is no good DVD decoder out there they all have there faults, but I choose win dvd over them all, the only fault I have with it is it does not heep the 5.1 audio settings under media center...

Oh and when your ripping dvd's to .wmv you have to use the elecard decoder, all the other ones are *****...they never give you the full length of the movie, but you do have to do them registry editing to get the right brightness level on elecard....

10. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Still it will run hotter than my CPU because of your 2.8ghz speed and using more CPU % = hot.
    2gb of ram is overkill for MCE. I also have a raptor drive overclocking is irrespective anyway my CPU is unlocked so can function stable up to 2.8ghz anyway I just choose to keep it at 2.4ghz because there is no need with hardware decoding. You have enough "pro intel" threads runnining the purpose of this thread was for me 1st to seek information on getting hardware decoding working properly.
    I manged to do it myself so I thought I would inform people of how I fixed my issue and also there are users out tehre who are running mimimum spec MCE machines who with the addition of hardware encoding can use thier PC for HD. If you want to start an AMD V Intel debate thread please fell free to start one. And I am not sure about win dvd 7 but with windvd 6 you could edit the registry to keep the 5.1 sound.

11. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    Hmmm, the reg edit neevr wokred for me...

12. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    did you do it in both places ?
    There are 2 one under MCE audio then one under Intervideo Audio

13. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    yes i'm sure I did...., I contacted intervidoe but no answer.

[Edited to remove swearing - Kramer]

14. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Was that language really necessary?

Please, kids read these forums too :lesson: .

15. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    I thought it would *Beep" it, it beeps the other stuff I say, and you try contacting invtervideo support and see if you get an answer...

16. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Is there a list of cards that support DXVA ?
    I currently use my Xbox as an extender but obvioulsy its not powerful enough to watch any HD so my only option is to hook my projector up to my Office/Internet PC which has a radeon 64mb 9000 installed but I also have a spare Nvidia MX4000
    Its only a temporary measure as I will be getting xbox 360 when the waiting lists go down a bit so more than likley after xmas :)

17. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    Most cards made since 4 year ago support DXVA, but if you want HD content playback, get a radeon X700AGP, even supports analogue Component Output...

18. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks for the info I guess I will just try them both then as I dont think they are over 4 years old although I could be wrong.
    The ATI says 4x the NVIDA says 8x so I guess I should go for the nvida 1st :)

19. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    You got to love that DXVA I patched the reg and my ATI 9000 64mb 4x AGP is DXVA capable and I can now play Hi Def on my internet PC which only has a AMD 2800+ so 2ghz the extra punch of the DXVA allows for flawless playback of TS files so this is going to be my stop gap solution until the XBOX 360 is relased and I actually get my hands on one which I cant see being until after xmas now.
    Or I could buy one on ebay for £500 as I bet some monkeys will be selling and them and some fools will buy them.